Professional Web Applications Themes

MacOS X Terminal Utility keypad character settings ? - Mac Applications & Software

I am new to MacOS X and trying to run the Terminal utility on a Blue and White G3 using an Apple Keyboard (as in compact, no top row of function keys). When I telnet to Alpha VMS V7.2-1 and run ANUNEWS I find the keypad period (.) key does not send the proper code and I get a period rather than the escape sequence to say "next post in the thread". I cannot find any sort of "keyboard preferences" other than the one where I selected VT102 rather than the original terminal type I did not recognize. I am ...

  1. #1

    Default MacOS X Terminal Utility keypad character settings ?

    I am new to MacOS X and trying to run the Terminal utility on a Blue and White
    G3 using an Apple Keyboard (as in compact, no top row of function keys). When I
    telnet to Alpha VMS V7.2-1 and run ANUNEWS I find the keypad period (.) key does
    not send the proper code and I get a period rather than the escape sequence to
    say "next post in the thread".

    I cannot find any sort of "keyboard preferences" other than the one where I
    selected VT102 rather than the original terminal type I did not recognize.

    I am accustomed to using Reflections 2+ on this hardware under System 9 and
    it works quite well. I suppose I could try to make Reflections 2+ work
    under the System X Classic Environment, but I would rather find a way to
    control keyboard characters for the built-in Terminal application. To the
    best of my knowledge, this has to do with whether the keypad is in "Applications"
    mode or not, to use VT100 terminlogy.

    Any suggestions from those familiar with the MacOS X Terminal application would
    be appreciated.
    Larry Kilgallen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: MacOS X Terminal Utility keypad character settings ? (solved)

    In article <x0QYShw850U5eisner.encompasserve.org>, [email]KilgallenSpamCop.net[/email] (Larry Kilgallen) writes:
    > I am new to MacOS X and trying to run the Terminal utility on a Blue and White
    > G3 using an Apple Keyboard (as in compact, no top row of function keys). When I
    > telnet to Alpha VMS V7.2-1 and run ANUNEWS I find the keypad period (.) key does
    > not send the proper code and I get a period rather than the escape sequence to
    > say "next post in the thread".
    I have solved my problem. The Emulation view (not the Keyboard view)
    within the Terminal Inspector opened by the Window Settings menu choice
    (not a menu choice called Terminal Inspector) has a (default off) checkbox
    called Strict VT-100 keypad behavior.

    This choice seems entirely disjoint from the Terminal Preferences choice
    of "Declare terminal type ($TERM) as vt102", which to me should imply the
    VT100 keyboard item (there are no keyboard differences between a VT100
    and a VT102).
    Larry Kilgallen Guest

  3. #3

    In article <harris-4FB43E.22170823072003juggl7.zk3.dec.com>, Bob Harris <harriszk3.dec.com> writes:
    > In article <YP+19SX27Ciseisner.encompasserve.org>,
    > [email]KilgallenSpamCop.net[/email] (Larry Kilgallen) wrote:
    >> I have solved my problem. The Emulation view (not the Keyboard view)
    >> within the Terminal Inspector opened by the Window Settings menu choice
    >> (not a menu choice called Terminal Inspector) has a (default off) checkbox
    >> called Strict VT-100 keypad behavior.
    I was premature with that ysis. The "bottom" of the numeric keypad
    seems to work but PF1-PF4 do not, and those are essential for ANUnews.
    > It includes tab'ed
    > terminals just like tab'ed browsing. I did have some problems using the
    > application keypad with my Pismo (Powerbook G3/500/Firewire/Bronze
    > keyboard), but I'm told that there are others that have used it
    > successfully, so I'm assuming that maybe it is something with the laptop
    > and using the 'fn' key as yet another key modifier. If you have a
    > regular keyboard with a separate application keypad it may work for you.
    I will keep an eye out for commercial software aimed at OSX, but until
    the operating system stabilizes a bit I don't know that I could trust
    a third party add-on to work.
    > And if you install X11, you get xterm (the open source one which
    > includes color and a rather good vt emulation, including the line
    > drawing characters that NOTES outputs).
    Actually, Terminal has worked for me on Notes output just fine, but I do
    not use the PF1-PF4 keys with Notes.
    > But I have a confession to make. I'm still using Mac OS Classic
    > BetterTelnet. I have my reasons, some of which have to do with the way
    > I tunnel into work, and some of it comes from the "if it isn't broke,
    > don't fix it" approach to changing.
    I was interested in some of the new features, but I guess this will take
    an additional Macintosh for the forseeable future. I have a spot left
    on the KVM, with existing choices being 7.5.5, 8.1 and 9.1.
    Larry Kilgallen Guest