Professional Web Applications Themes

MacSOUP, Usenet header, security? - Mac Networking

Is there any way to keep the "User-Agent" line in MacSOUP from going out with my outgoing Usenet messages? I will be communicating with a friend who has a PC, using Timbuktu, so I want to make it as difficult as possible for crackers to break into our remote-control session. That "User-Agent" line "blabs" about what newsreader I am using, and even blabs about the fact that I am using version 10.3.3 of OS X. Nervous, Mark-...

  1. #1

    Default MacSOUP, Usenet header, security?

    Is there any way to keep the "User-Agent" line in MacSOUP from going
    out with my outgoing Usenet messages?

    I will be communicating with a friend who has a PC, using Timbuktu, so
    I want to make it as difficult as possible for crackers to break into
    our remote-control session.

    That "User-Agent" line "blabs" about what newsreader I am using, and
    even blabs about the fact that I am using version 10.3.3 of OS X.

    Nervous,

    Mark-
    Mark Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: MacSOUP, Usenet header, security?

    In article <260420041749475706%com>, Mark Conrad
    <com> wrote:

    WTF does the User-Agent header have to do with imaginary crackers
    getting through your tin-foil beanie, Gerald?

    Especially considering you're using Thoth 1.7.1 and not MacSOUP?

    As usual, a crock of bull spewed by our very own BAD MONKEY!.

    --
    "I don't always know what I'm talking about, but I know I'm right." -- Muhammad
    Ali

  3. #3

    Dave Balderstone <balderstone.ca> wrote:

    You mean people can't hack their way into your newsreader? ;-)

    I think he may be referring to the fact that MacSOUP defaults to
    _displaying_ the User-Agent header

    --
    Mike Rosenberg
    <http://www.macconsult.com> Macintosh consulting services for NE

  4. #4

    In article <1gcvdl0.srvbfydbdqegN%invalid>, Mike
    Rosenberg <invalid> wrote:

    Was that you? I wondered who was downloading all those binaries!

    --
    Formosa's Law: "The truly insane have enough on their plates without us adding
    to it."

  5. #5

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:57:00 -0600,
    Dave Balderstone (balderstone.ca) wrote:

    > Was that you? I wondered who was downloading all those binaries![/ref]

    Thanks for letting me download Adobe Photoshop through your
    newsreader! Aren't we lucky that Mark/Gerald figured out this
    hole, that it can now be plugged?

    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    England go three up at Bridgetown!

  6. #6

    In article <net>, Bev A. Kupf
    <net> wrote:

    If only I hadn't allowed the User-Agent header to be posted! Woe is me!

    djb

    --
    "We have been looking for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq for less time
    than it took Hillary Clinton to find the billing record from the Rose Law firm.

  7. #7

    Dave Balderstone <balderstone.ca> wrote:

    > Was that you? I wondered who was downloading all those b[/ref]

    Just the 1s. I already had all the 0s I needed.

  8. #8

    And who gets to me the one to break the news to Mark/Gerald that his
    mail client is sending out an X-Mailer header?

  9. #9

    In article <260420041749475706%com>,
    Mark Conrad <com> wrote:

    Here's an idea, get a life.
    Matt Guest

  10. #10

    In article <260420041749475706%com>, Mark Conrad
    <com> wrote:

    Just a little additional info' - - - I noticed that not everyone's
    header in MacSOUP has that "User-Agent" line, so there has to be a way
    to surpress that line.

    Every bit of info' that a cracker gets from Usenet headers makes it
    that much easier for them to break into a Timbuktu network, especially
    when a Wintel computer is part of that TB2 network.

    Oh yes, you may have noticed that I have my own gropie fan club that
    follows me from thread to thread. I don't bother to read their
    posts, so let me know if they say anything worthwhile.

    Mark-
    Mark Guest

  11. #11

    Mark Conrad <com> wrote:

    They said you're a nutjob, and I believe them.
    Carlo Guest

  12. #12

    Mark Conrad <com> wrote:

    if someone really wants to figure out your OS and your Mac is somehow
    reachable from the Internet they can do so anyway; at least those people
    you might be worrying about.

    --
    Georg Schwarz http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
    de +49 177 8811442

  13. #13

    Mark Conrad <com> wrote:

    WOW! Thats really a very disturbing fact!

    Take 6 tranquilizers a day and the nerves will go away. if not, take a
    heroine shot.

    --
    Groeten,

    Antonio (Voor email, verwijder X)
    AnToNio Guest

  14. #14

    In article <1gd13hq.10pqrgn11nqfe6N%nl>, AnToNio
    <nl> wrote:

    > WOW! Thats really a very disturbing fact![/ref]

    Well, it advertises to the whole world that you are careless about what
    you allow to be posted.

    Any crackers looking for an easy targets becomes much more interested
    in people who appear to be careless.

    Mark-
    Mark Guest

  15. #15

    In article <net.eu.org>, Georg Schwarz
    <de> wrote:

    > if someone really wants to figure out your OS and your Mac is somehow
    > reachable from the Internet they can do so anyway; at least those people
    > you might be worrying about.[/ref]

    I agree with that, however crackers prefer to pick easy targets.

    MacSOUP transmits OS details by default. This lets the crackers know
    that the user is careless about security, and is therefore more likely
    to be an easy target.

    My previous newsreader "Thoth" did not blab about what OS that I was
    using. Thoth is no longer supported on OS X, so I am trying out other
    newsreader utilities like "MacSOUP".

    Mark-
    Mark Guest

  16. #16

    In article <300420040937467548%com>, Mark Conrad
    <com> wrote:

    > > if someone really wants to figure out your OS and your Mac is somehow
    > > reachable from the Internet they can do so anyway; at least those people
    > > you might be worrying about.[/ref]
    >
    > I agree with that, however crackers prefer to pick easy targets.
    >
    > MacSOUP transmits OS details by default. This lets the crackers know
    > that the user is careless about security, and is therefore more likely
    > to be an easy target.[/ref]

    Actually, if anything, it lets crackers know that the user is _serious_
    about security. At least, a smidge more serious than someone who
    advertises they're running Windows.

    The idea that hackers are going to troll Usenet looking for victims is
    of course ludicrous. That is about the _least_ efficient way of
    finding machines to hack into that I can imagine. No, they're going to
    port-scan you along with everyone else at your ISP, and unleash some
    scripts at you, and if you have a stupid vulnerability on your box, it
    won't matter how much information you do or do not give out in your
    headers when you post on Usenet, you will be 0wned.

    I've never read a single report of a hacker finding machines to hack
    from Usenet. Hosts that post to Usenet tend to be single-user machines
    in any case, which are not the sort that's worth any serious effort to
    break into, and they tend to have dynamic IP addresses, so by the time
    you see the Usenet message there's little or no guarantee they'll still
    be at the same address.

    Send only plain text messages under 32K to the Reply-To address.
    This mailbox is filtered aggressively to thwart spam and viruses.
    Jerry Guest

  17. #17

    Mark Conrad <com> wrote:

    > > if someone really wants to figure out your OS and your Mac is somehow
    > > reachable from the Internet they can do so anyway; at least those people
    > > you might be worrying about.[/ref]
    >
    > I agree with that, however crackers prefer to pick easy targets.
    >
    > MacSOUP transmits OS details by default. This lets the crackers know
    > that the user is careless about security, and is therefore more likely
    > to be an easy target.
    >
    > My previous newsreader "Thoth" did not blab about what OS that I was
    > using. Thoth is no longer supported on OS X, so I am trying out other
    > newsreader utilities like "MacSOUP".[/ref]

    Are you indeed? "User-Agent: Thoth/1.7.1 (Carbon/OS X)"

    Seems to me that:
    a: You are still using Thoth;
    b: Thoth does blab about what OS you are using: MacOS X.
    Johan Guest

  18. #18

    Mark Conrad <com> wrote:

    > > WOW! Thats really a very disturbing fact![/ref]
    >
    > Well, it advertises to the whole world that you are careless about what
    > you allow to be posted.
    >
    > Any crackers looking for an easy targets becomes much more interested
    > in people who appear to be careless.
    >
    > Mark-[/ref]

    From your own message headers: "Thoth/1.7.1 (Carbon/OS X)"
    Johan Guest

  19. #19

    invalid (Johan W. Elzenga) writes:
     [/ref]

    What OS details do you think indicate such carelessness?

    A portscanner pointed at your IP address will tell them
    much much more useful things.

    > Are you indeed? "User-Agent: Thoth/1.7.1 (Carbon/OS X)"[/ref]

    Not to mention:

    No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
    BreadWithSpam@fractious.net Guest

  20. #20

    Mark Conrad <com,

    You really are either nuts or paranoid. Go get a life or go back to the
    asylum.

    --
    Groeten,

    Antonio (Voor email, verwijder X)