Professional Web Applications Themes

"Mad" Tony... - SCO

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 00:35:03 +0000 (UTC), com wrote: [...]  Well I don't know about Joe, but from what I've read I'm guessing your wife will be making that decision to save a lot of waffling: Tony's wife: "Do you think I need a new car?" Tony: "How on Earth could you or I know that?! You're not a mechanic are you? No, and neither am I, dammit. We'll have to ask a garage..." [later that day, Tony and wife are riding home in their new - grotesquely overpriced - car (since they are not car salesmen, Tony decided ...

  1. #1

    Default "Mad" Tony...

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 00:35:03 +0000 (UTC), com wrote:

    [...]

    Well I don't know about Joe, but from what I've read I'm guessing your
    wife will be making that decision to save a lot of waffling:

    Tony's wife: "Do you think I need a new car?"
    Tony: "How on Earth could you or I know that?! You're not a mechanic
    are you? No, and neither am I, dammit. We'll have to ask a garage..."

    [later that day, Tony and wife are riding home in their new -
    grotesquely overpriced - car (since they are not car salesmen, Tony
    decided not to haggle)]

    Wife: Do you think it's faster if we cut left here, and take the back
    route?
    Tony: How the hell should we know that?! What am I, a cartographer? In
    fact, how do we even KNOW that this is the right way home? Simple, we
    DON'T!! Nobody knows, except the guys who built all these roads and
    things.
    Wife: Are you feeling alright?
    Tony: So you're a f*cking doctor now, are you?!!?? AARRRGHHH!!!!!

    ....etc...

    --
    FyRE < "War: The way Americans learn geography" >
    FyRE Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: "Mad" Tony...

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:34:18 +0000, FyRE wrote:

    LOL!

    That said, again, please cool your jets a little - there is something to
    be said for withholding judgment when you don't understand the issues. How
    would you like it if your AOLer friend said "I strongly believe we should
    outlaw teh Linux company, because it is a thief and a pirate, plus cuz all
    computers run Windows, cuz genius Bill invented it! I'm writing my
    gubernator today!"? You'd tell him to shut up about things he doesn't
    understand. I learned this exactly as described.

    I don't think copyright law is so difficult to understand, though. And to
    the extent that it is, it shouldn't be - one of the basic ideas of a
    non-oppressive government is that people must understand the laws.
    Discussing them on Usenet doesn't compare to law schools, but it's better
    than nothing.

    --
    Tom Felker, <com>
    <http://vlevel.sourceforge.net> - Stop fiddling with the volume knob.

    Alchemists became chemists when they stopped keeping secrets.

    Tom Guest

  3. #3

    Tom Felker <com> wrote:

    But discussing copyright, or having opinions on same, is entirely
    different from discussing the legal challenges and responses that
    might be made against the GPL.

    I have opinions on copyright: we allow too much, and let it run too long.
    Those things can be discussed.

    But I don't know enough law to make any judgement about the legal
    weakness/strength of the GPL. I have seen things here and there that
    indicate some who are lawyers think it has serious problems, but
    other lawyers are just as quick to refute them. Obviously I
    can't weigh in with my comments: nothing I would have to say is
    useful in that argument.

    --
    com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    tony@aplawrence.com Guest

  4. #4

    FyRE <demon.ku.oc.x> wrote:
     [/ref]

    Which actually is just what we did: took it in for an assessment
    of its problems. Because standing outside and looking dumbly at
    the hood doesn't tell you much.

    But that's apparently your method: guess about things you
    have no knowledge of.

    Strangely enough, there are actually resources like Consumer Reports
    that can give you some level of expertise in the haggling process.
    But a person like you, expert at everything, would never need to
    avail themselves of that.

    Well, we know the way to and from the dealer, but I do use MapQuest
    rather frequently. You, incredible genius that you are, no doubt
    have a mental map of the universe and don't need it ever.

    Ahh, so you also are a medical professional. How wonderful for you.

    It must save a lot of money..

  5. #5

    <sigh> Americans and humour, will they ever meet? Judging by "Poker
    face Tony" here, it seems a very remote possibility...

    Tony, it was a joke. What was it you say again?... Oh yes: "sheesh".

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 09:22:18 +0000 (UTC), com wrote:

    > [/ref]

    >Which actually is just what we did: took it in for an assessment
    >of its problems. Because standing outside and looking dumbly at
    >the hood doesn't tell you much.
    >
    >But that's apparently your method: guess about things you
    >have no knowledge of.[/ref]

    Well luckily I don't wait until my car develops mechanical problems
    before trading up. Sometimes I just fancy a new one! Some people need
    space, child seats, off-road capabilities. Since you obviously need it
    spelling out, the meaning behind my article was this: You don't need
    to refer to someone else every time a descision comes your way, Tony.
    Many of us are capable of *gasp* forming our own opinions! Imagine
    that!

    [countless other examples of Tony totally missing the point]

    Let's hope your wife takes the initiative in bed Tony; I'd imagine
    it'd be fairly embarrassing if you had to have an expert sitting in on
    the session and telling you what to do at night ;-)

  6. #6

    FyRE <demon.ku.oc.x> wrote:

    And exactly how are you qualified to have an opinion on the legality of
    the GPL?

  7. #7

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 20:14:47 +0000 (UTC), com wrote:

    >And exactly how are you qualified to have an opinion on the legality of
    >the GPL?[/ref]

    It would be a sad life indeed if one had to earn a degree in any
    subject before being *allowed* to state an opinion. I pity your kids
    Tony; must have been hell for them growing up with a father who
    refused to answer their questions with a stark "I'm sorry child, I'm
    unqualified, and so cannot answer your inquiry. Go ask a physicist why
    the sky is blue and bother me no more!".

    I have opinions about a great many things, and yes I'll admit I didn't
    spend 7 years earning a diploma in advanced balistics before I ever
    kicked a football, and never studied aeronautics before making my
    first paper plane, but both turned out just fine.

    Now maybe you could riddle me this, Tony: What makes you qualified to
    advise your customers of the best hardware and/or software products to
    run their businesses? Presuming they're a diverse bunch, with a range
    of requirements, you must have one hell of a CV there!

  8. #8

    FyRE <demon.ku.oc.x> wrote:

    >>And exactly how are you qualified to have an opinion on the legality of
    >>the GPL?[/ref][/ref]

    I asked what your qualifications are. If I am to give any weight
    to your "opinion", that's a perfectly fair question.

    So? Again, what makes you qualified to have an opinion on the
    legaility of the GPL?

    I don't advise my customers on hardware beyond the basics: X amount
    of ram, cpu at least this, etc.. Hardware is not my field. I
    don't give a lot of advice about software either, though there are
    a few things I can offer the benefit of experience on.

    Are you ignoring my question? Why should I have any interest in your

  9. #9

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:10:28 +0000 (UTC), com
    <com> wrote:

    But Tony, that's exactly the point: I started by asking what *YOUR*
    opinions were. I showed interest in YOUR opinions and you then went off
    down the alley of trying to show why you (and anyone else) should not
    have opinions on the subject.

    It's you that has been studiously ignoring the questions.
    Joe Guest

  10. #10

    Joe Dunning <invalid> wrote:
     [/ref]

    Ignoring? No, I have responded: I have no opinion on the
    legal aspects of the GPL. I have knowledge that some people
    within the open source community have expressed concerns
    about the legality, but I don't understand why. I have
    the opinion (more of a hope, actually) that it will be
    found to be valid. I've said all that: you have not
    been ignored.

    But I ask again: what is YOUR opinion and why should I care?