Professional Web Applications Themes

Mail address on Postcards - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hi. My company just purchased Adobe Indesign CS and I was wondering where I can find step by step information on how to take addresses layed out in Excel and import them into a postcard layout. For example, I have 50 unique addresses (name, title, address) in an excel spreadsheet. I also have a front and back postcard layout created in Indesign. How do I efficiently create 50 custom postcards with a unique address on each one? I don't expect someone to type out a step by step instruction (I'm an Indesign beginner), but does anybody know where I can ...

  1. #1

    Default Mail address on Postcards

    Hi.

    My company just purchased Adobe Indesign CS and I was wondering where I can find step by step information on how to take addresses layed out in Excel and import them into a postcard layout.

    For example, I have 50 unique addresses (name, title, address) in an excel spreadsheet. I also have a front and back postcard layout created in Indesign. How do I efficiently create 50 custom postcards with a unique address on each one?

    I don't expect someone to type out a step by step instruction (I'm an Indesign beginner), but does anybody know where I can find such information. F1 or Google hadn't helped me much.

    Thank you.

    Ed
    Edward_Dron@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mail address on Postcards

    I would do this by making a 50-page doent.

    In order to do this efficiently, I would want all of the repeating elements
    (return address, box for stamp, etc.) on the master page. I would want to
    open the Excel file in Word and change it to a continuous text file, using 3
    styles: one for Name, one for Title, and one for Address (assuming each
    Title starts a new line). When you import the Word file into ID, set up the
    Name style so that each Name begins a new page. If each Name is styled with
    the Name style, it will be forced to a new page.

    Ken Benson

    Kenneth_Benson@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Use InDesign's Merge function. Your application is exactly what it is
    intended for.

    You basically create all of your static information on one page, then tag
    the data fields of your excel file to merge fields you set up in your
    doent and then "merge" This will automatically duplicate the static data,
    and create a new complete page for each "record" in your data base.

    You can find the step by step instructions in the help file or printed
    manual if you have one.

    Larry

    Larry_Grohman@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    <com> wrote in message

    Is the merge capability available without the Pagemaker add-on?

    Peggy

    Peggy Guest

  5. #5

    I have yet to get the date merge part of IDCS with Pagemaker Plug in to work.

    I start with a blank doc. I want 2 up postcards with a different record on each postcard and the rest of the 300 pcs to follow suit.

    I make a text box...get the date merge fields over...no problem

    When I go to the drop down menu on multi record....only one record shows even after hitting preview on that dialog box.

    I've tired the text box to cover the whole 8.5 x 11 page, I've tried 1/2 page, 1/4 page
    nothing changes the single record to more than one.

    Driving me nuts!
    Frank_Donnino@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    > Use InDesign's Merge function. Your application is exactly what it is

    I didn't know anything about an Indesign Merge function. I can't find
    anything about it in Help. Where is it? I already looked at everything I
    could find for "merge" and "excel".

  7. #7

    You have to have the pagemaker plug in for $99 for IDCS

    I just got it to work! What a pain in the butt!

    I was on a mission with this one!
    Frank_Donnino@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Yeah...nothing

    I got the records to show up....2 up as I want

    I hit data merge (let's say for records 1-99) and all the docs open up and are untitled.

    Then is just stops with no priting occuring.

    Very discouraging.
    Frank_Donnino@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    I'll admit that getting 2 up on a page is a bit tricky...and I'll also admit
    that this merge function is very crude, but if you read the help very
    closely, you can get this to work. Point is, if you are going to do a simple
    mail merge from time to time, this is fine, but for serious variable data
    work, you need something else. There are many, check
    http://www.adobe.com/products/vdp/partners.html

  10. #10

    Frank. You've only gone part way. When you hit data merge InDesign makes a
    new, untitled doent with as many pages in it as you need to fit your
    records. It won't print until you tell it to.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Ken...but if I hit print it only prints out a few of the open docs (let's say 99 just for ie)

    How do I get it to print all the open docs. Why do they have to open up anyway?

    Ok...so they do...

    But it's still not working.

    I have the mail merge part down. The text box must overlay on 1/2 the doc and when you hit preview the bottom half of a two up magically appears with the next record and the top half design.

    I am so close yet so far.

    What am I doing wrong?
    Frank_Donnino@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    PS

    I assume I am to tell it to print by using "apple P"
    Frank_Donnino@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    > I assume I am to tell it to print by using "apple P"
    This is a windows forum. Seems you are in the wrong place.

    Simon Guest

  14. #14

    Simon..I assume the concept is still the same?

    Thanks anyway.
    Frank_Donnino@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Sure, general principles same. But if it won't work following Windows
    advice it just might be better to ask for Mac advice.
    Simon Guest

  16. #16

    Yes...sorry. I just did a search for advice and saw this.
    Frank_Donnino@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    I'm a little perturbed by your phrase 'open docs'. There should only be one
    doent.

    The process is that you have a doent which you wish to use in a mail
    merge. You open the DataMerge palette and select your data source, placement
    of your data fields, number of records per page etc.

    Then when you hit the go button, InDesign opens a copy of your doent and
    populates it with enough pages to carry all your information. This is a
    single doent, untitled, with in your example, 99 pages.

    When InDesign has finished populating the pages it searches for overset text
    (I think there's a check box to initiate this but it's checked by default
    anyway) and when it's finished that you are left with a multi-page doent
    which you simply print. You can then save this doent for future use, but
    don't save it with the name of your original doent - in fact, I don't
    imagine you can, because the original doent is still open.

    So, say you have a standard postcard which you want to print out each month,
    you would have a base file called postcard.indd. You would then do this
    month's mailing by merging with this month's address list and if you wanted
    to print it later or go back to it, you would name it postcard_may.indd
    before saving. Then in June you could open postcard.indd again, merge it
    with a new data list (or just elect to update the data file if you have
    rewritten your data to the same file name) and you could save it as
    postcard_june.indd.

    At all times the original base file is unchanged.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Thanks Ken...I will try this again and see.

    Yes...there are 99 open "untitiled docs" 1-99 on my desktop and my orginal doc I have named Postcard May is buried underneath.

    Yes it should be one doc when it's done and each doc printed would have 2 different records on each.

    Thanks for trying to help.
    Frank_Donnino@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Nope...still did not work. All untitled are on my desktop. Time to call support I guess.

    Very frustrating.

    Thanks for trying Ken
    Frank_Donnino@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    I'm just trying to picture this. You are saying that when you click that
    little button with the four dots in a square once - you are only clicking it
    once aren't you? - instead of making one new doent and adding pages to
    it successively, InDesign is making a series of separate new .indd files?

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast