Professional Web Applications Themes

Mail.app--deleted account: all messages gone forever? - Mac Networking

In case it's not clear from the title of the message, I've got a bit of an urgent situation. I'm using Mail.app to access a couple POP accounts. (Prefs are set so messages are removed from the server immediately.) Due to attbi changing our e-mail addresses *again* I decided to set up my own domain that would auto-forward to whatever e-mail address the cable modem people happened to be using as their flavor of the week. Instead of editing my existing account, I created a new account with similar settings, but a different name (so as to not goof up ...

  1. #1

    Default Mail.app--deleted account: all messages gone forever?

    In case it's not clear from the title of the message, I've got a bit of
    an urgent situation.

    I'm using Mail.app to access a couple POP accounts. (Prefs are set so
    messages are removed from the server immediately.) Due to attbi
    changing our e-mail addresses *again* I decided to set up my own domain
    that would auto-forward to whatever e-mail address the cable modem
    people happened to be using as their flavor of the week.

    Instead of editing my existing account, I created a new account with
    similar settings, but a different name (so as to not goof up anything
    with the existing one). The new one was working but appeared to be
    causing some conflicts with the old one. So... I deleted the old
    account.

    History is filled with tales of woe about people who hit "OK" before
    thoroughly reading warning messages.

    I can't believe that it's possible to mistakenly hit OK and have all my
    messages from my existing account completely deleted FOREVER. Please
    tell me this is not the case. THis is going to cause almost
    unimaginable grief for months to come.

    I have not done anything since hitting the OK button other than post
    this message. I will be waiting patiently until someone can either
    confirm or deny what I was told by an Apple support tech: I'm ed.

    Thanks for any help/advice you can offer.

    --
    David Stirling
    Black Dog Graphics

  2. #2

    Well, it looks like my situation isn't as grim as I first thought. The
    only messages lost were the ones in the Inbox, that hadn't been moved
    to a folder in the "On My Mac" box. So I only lost about 2 kabillion
    messages instead of 18 kabillion.

    But the ones that were lost really are gone. Totally gone. My limited
    understanding of OSX leads me to believe that the ".mbox" package,
    (which is a set of text files that can be opened and viewed in BBEdit)
    is immediately updated and saved. So there are no files in the trash to
    restore, no previous state to return to, no nothing, unless you've
    saved a copy of your ~/Library/Mail folder

    So, the moral of the story: sort your e-mail immediately, and back-up
    frequently.