Professional Web Applications Themes

Mail.app seems to have deleted all my mail and accounts. - Mac Applications & Software

Hi System: iMac DVSE 400 running 10.2.6 As my machine was running slowly, I decided to quit a few applications (mail.app included) to free up some memory. Later, as I opened Mail.app again, intoductory messages appeared as if I was loading it for the first time. My toolbar customisation had returned to default, my accounts had disappeared has had all of my mail! It seems like something has been badly corrupted. If so, then things aren't looking too good. However, is there any way I can restore my mail? Matt...

  1. #1

    Default Mail.app seems to have deleted all my mail and accounts.

    Hi

    System: iMac DVSE 400 running 10.2.6

    As my machine was running slowly, I decided to quit a few applications
    (mail.app included) to free up some memory.

    Later, as I opened Mail.app again, intoductory messages appeared as if
    I was loading it for the first time. My toolbar customisation had
    returned to default, my accounts had disappeared has had all of my
    mail!

    It seems like something has been badly corrupted. If so, then things
    aren't looking too good. However, is there any way I can restore my
    mail?

    Matt
    matt Guest

  2. #2

    In article <google.com>,
    com (matt) wrote:

    Use your backup.

    -Sloopy
    Sloopy Guest

  3. #3

    In article <google.com>,
    com (matt) wrote:

    Congratulations! I have had exactly the same experience! Long live Apple!
    --

    gr,
    Antonio

  4. #4

    Before doing anything else, make a copy of your ~/Library/Mail folder.
    Most likely is that all your mail is still there.

    What probably happened is that you ran out of disk space, then on
    quitting Mail.app it couldn't re-write
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist
    That is the file containing all your account-information,
    window-positions etc. etc.

    Restore this file from your backup and you should be ready to go.
    If you don't have a backup, just recreate the accounts and I assume your
    mail will show up again. If it doesn't replace as needed from the folder
    you copied before doing anything...

    Oh, and in the future: If you run out of disk space, quit some
    applications other than Mail.... Or better yet, don't run out of disk
    space...

    Jaco Guest

  5. #5

    In article <3f590594$0$49106$xs4all.nl>,
    Jaco Schoonen <noway> wrote:

    This problem happens without any shortage of discspace!!!!!

    And anyway, even if there is a shortage of discspace any well programmed
    app (or OS) should signal this to the user and ask him to delete
    unnecessary files!

    So it is not a user fault it is clearly Apple's fault!!
    --

    gr,
    Antonio

  6. #6

    Jaco Schoonen <noway> wrote in message news:<3f590594$0$49106$xs4all.nl>...

    > Before doing anything else, make a copy of your ~/Library/Mail folder.
    > Most likely is that all your mail is still there.
    >
    > What probably happened is that you ran out of disk space, then on
    > quitting Mail.app it couldn't re-write
    > ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist
    > That is the file containing all your account-information,
    > window-positions etc. etc.
    >
    > Restore this file from your backup and you should be ready to go.
    > If you don't have a backup, just recreate the accounts and I assume your
    > mail will show up again. If it doesn't replace as needed from the folder
    > you copied before doing anything...
    >
    > Oh, and in the future: If you run out of disk space, quit some
    > applications other than Mail.... Or better yet, don't run out of disk
    > space...[/ref]

    Jaco

    I think you nailed what the problem was, I was indeed running out of
    disk space. All my mail and accounts have been restored. Thank you.

    Matt
    matt Guest

  7. #7

    Been there ... done that (twice, before I learned the lesson...).
    Glad I could be of help.

    And to answer Antonio's response. Yes, this is a major bug in OSX and
    Mail.app as well, Apple could/should handle the low-diskspace situation
    much better. I hope they will understand the need for this.

    Jaco Guest

  8. #8

    By "...running out of disc space," do you mean hard drive space?

    keith whaley

    Jaco Schoonen wrote:

    > Been there ... done that (twice, before I learned the lesson...).
    > Glad I could be of help.
    >
    > And to answer Antonio's response. Yes, this is a major bug in OSX and
    > Mail.app as well, Apple could/should handle the low-diskspace situation
    > much better. I hope they will understand the need for this.[/ref]
    Keith Guest

  9. #9

    Keith Whaley wrote:

    Yes, I do...

    Jaco Guest

  10. #10

    Thought so!
    On the other hand, it seems odd for one to be using so much space,
    unless the H.D. is quite small in the first place. I moved from a 6 GB
    (original G3 in '97) to a 20 GB (upgrade again) and now to an 80 GB H.D.
    (new CPU.)
    The transition from 6 GB to 20 GB was fairly slow. In other words it
    took me a long time to recognize it was the H.D. that was a bottleneck.
    The 20 was almost 1/2 full when I realized it's empty space wouldn't
    last all that long, and I wanted a faster machine anyhow!
    So, I moved from a 300 Mhz processor to a 1.25 Ghz machine!
    Seems we're always stepping up the ladder, want to or not!

    Good luck,

    keith whaley

    Jaco Schoonen wrote:

    > Yes, I do...[/ref]