Professional Web Applications Themes

Mail.app syncing? - Mac Networking

I have a G4 and an iBook. I use both frequently. Until now, my strategy was to leave mail messages on the server for 7 days. It meant that I saw everything twice, but that wasn't too much of an inconvenience. But in the last few days, I've started getting hammered by the Swen virus. If I don't delete messages every few hours, my 10 MB e-mail allotment is full. So I had to set my machines to delete from the server on download. Which brings me to something that before would have been nice, but is now essential -- ...

  1. #1

    Default Mail.app syncing?

    I have a G4 and an iBook. I use both frequently. Until now, my strategy
    was to leave mail messages on the server for 7 days. It meant that I
    saw everything twice, but that wasn't too much of an inconvenience.

    But in the last few days, I've started getting hammered by the Swen
    virus. If I don't delete messages every few hours, my 10 MB e-mail
    allotment is full. So I had to set my machines to delete from the
    server on download.

    Which brings me to something that before would have been nice, but is
    now essential -- is there a way to sync Mail.app on two different
    machines? I don't see an iSync option for that. It strikes me as
    something that could be done in AppleScript, but I don't have the chops
    or the motivation. I wouldn't need to sync the junk or trash folder,
    but syncing filters and inboxes would be nice.

    --
    "Five tacos, one taco burger. Do you know where the American Dream is?"
    -- Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mail.app syncing?

    In article <230920030055463298%atticusmindspring.com>,
    Andy Walton <atticusmindspring.com> wrote:
    >is there a way to sync Mail.app on two different machines?
    Sure, use IMAP instead of POP mail. IMAP keeps the mailboxen on the
    server. If you don't have access to an IMAP account like .Mac, then
    you're out of luck.
    >but syncing filters and inboxes would be nice.
    IMAP will sync ALL your mailboxen, but you'll have to manually do
    something about rules and signatures at this time.

    --
    Art Gorski * Mac Integration Staff * Rice University * Houston, Texas
    Remember to remove NOSPAM from address when replying via email

  3. #3

    In article <agorskiNOSPAM-BABEF8.11435823092003joe.rice.edu>, Art
    Gorski <agorskiNOSPAMrice.edu> wrote:
    > In article <230920030055463298%atticusmindspring.com>,
    > Andy Walton <atticusmindspring.com> wrote:
    >
    > >is there a way to sync Mail.app on two different machines?
    >
    > Sure, use IMAP instead of POP mail. IMAP keeps the mailboxen on the
    > server. If you don't have access to an IMAP account like .Mac, then
    > you're out of luck.
    I have a .Mac account, but my primary account is through Earthlink --
    if I set up my .Mac account to use IMAP, will it download mail from
    Earthlink and upload it to .Mac?

    What I'm really looking for is something to sync Mail.app on two
    machines across the LAN, because there are thousands of old messages
    involved, and even at DSL speed it will take a while. Something like
    iSync would be okay, as it would only take forever the first time
    around.
    > >but syncing filters and inboxes would be nice.
    >
    > IMAP will sync ALL your mailboxen, but you'll have to manually do
    > something about rules and signatures at this time.
    Hm. I'd like to be able to sync the rules, because my desktop has a
    more precise junk filter (I left it in training mode longer, and I'm
    too deluged with spam just now to reeducate the iBook), but that's not
    a huge issue. .sigs are a bit of bother; I haven't gotten around to
    entering my big random .sig rotation to the iBook, but it doesn't
    trouble me much.

  4. #4

    In article <240920030053006841%atticusmindspring.com>,
    Andy Walton <atticusmindspring.com> wrote:
    >I have a .Mac account, but my primary account is through Earthlink --
    >if I set up my .Mac account to use IMAP, will it download mail from
    >Earthlink and upload it to .Mac?
    Absolutely. I also have both .Mac and Earthlink accounts, as well as an
    IMAP account at work. Create an 'Earthlink' IMAP mailbox in your .Mac
    account and create a rule in Mail that transfers all incoming messages
    addressed to your Earthlink address to this mailbox on .Mac. It
    effectively becomes an inbox for your Earthlink account. Your Earthlink
    inbox just stays empty.
    >What I'm really looking for is something to sync Mail.app on two
    >machines across the LAN, because there are thousands of old messages
    >involved, and even at DSL speed it will take a while.
    I haven't found it to be that big of a deal to create an IMAP mailbox
    for each local mailbox and transfer the contents. It's a one-time deal
    and doesn't really take that long. After that, you're totally in sync.