Professional Web Applications Themes

mail apps - Mac Applications & Software

I don't want to start a flame war here, but I'm really wondering about the status of email apps in OS X. I currently use Mail.app, but there's no denying it's pretty limited. Mail.app has just downright poor searching. Face it, search on one term at a time in either just one folder, or all, nothing in between. Ever try searching on a phrase or finding an email address in a body search? But, it does have fairly good multiple account handling, GPG support (third-party),allows me to specify custom ports for sending and receiving, and support retrieval via POP, IMAP, ...

  1. #1

    Default mail apps

    I don't want to start a flame war here, but I'm really wondering about
    the status of email apps in OS X. I currently use Mail.app, but there's
    no denying it's pretty limited.

    Mail.app has just downright poor searching. Face it, search on one term
    at a time in either just one folder, or all, nothing in between. Ever
    try searching on a phrase or finding an email address in a body search?

    But, it does have fairly good multiple account handling, GPG support
    (third-party),allows me to specify custom ports for sending and
    receiving, and support retrieval via POP, IMAP, and SSL.

    Any other mail apps out there that do the above, plus have good index
    and search engines? Evertything I look at seems to lack something.
    (Usually GPG or custom ports.)

    PGP support does not count as GPG support.
    David Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: mail apps

    In article <news.adelphia.net>,
    David Turley <com> wrote:

    I use Mailsmith, but I don't know anything about its GPG support.

    --
    Today, on Paper-view: Pulp Fiction!
    Howard Guest

  3. #3

    David Turley wrote:

    Have you tried mozilla? My wife and I both have fairly
    new Powerbooks, and tried the Mac Mail program first. I
    switched to mozilla's mail/news reader mostly because I
    was familiar with it, and understood how to do things that
    I couldn't find in the Mac Mail app. Then I showed it to
    her (originally because of her frustration with both IE
    and Safari), and within an hour she was saying it was the
    best mail reader she'd ever used.

    Anyway, it's an alternative. You can download it from
    mozilla.org and install it in a few minutes.

    I do wish I knew more about how to make programs like
    these share their data.

    John Guest

  4. #4

    In article <bjfvv4$krr$news.rcn.net>,
    John Chambers <com> wrote:

    I'm looking at mozilla / firebird now. Looks interesting. Googling for
    info on importing addresses and LOTS of archied mail.
    David Guest

  5. #5

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    Howard S Shubs <net> wrote:

    > I use Mailsmith, but I don't know anything about its GPG support.[/ref]

    They mention PGP but not GPG. I'm not opposed to commercial apps in
    general, but GPG I'm sticking with. Don't see much future in PGP as a
    commercial product.
    David Guest

  6. #6

    David Turley <com> writes:

    > I'm looking at mozilla / firebird now. Looks interesting. Googling for
    > info on importing addresses and LOTS of archied mail.[/ref]

    If you're looking at Mozilla, but are mainly interested
    in the e-mail client, you want to look at ThunderBird.
    FireBird is the web browser part.

    I've just installed T-Bird on one of my machines and was
    quite impressed. For a 0.2 release, it's pretty spiffy.

    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird

    Too bad FireBird is so slow (and flakey - it frequently
    gets into a state where it will not accept URLs in the
    location bar). I use FireBird constantly on my linux
    machine, but on the Mac box, mainly I use Camino.

    No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
    BreadWithSpam@fractious.net Guest

  7. #7

    David Turley <com> wrote:

    >> I use Mailsmith, but I don't know anything about its GPG support.[/ref][/ref]

    What is GPG? I never heard that term before.
    stan@temple.edu Guest

  8. #8

    In article <news.adelphia.net>,
    David Turley <com> wrote:

    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/chang/EudoraGPG/

    Eudora does multiple accounts, POP, IMAP, and SSL.

    I like Eudora's search and find it fast. And you can save searches to
    run in the future.

    -Andrew

    --
    Andrew Starr
    eMailman(r): http://www.emailman.com

  9. #9

    In article <bjgg7i$8bk$temple.edu>, edu wrote:

    http://gnupg.org/

    "GnuPG is a complete and free replacement for PGP. Because it does not
    use the patented IDEA algorithm, it can be used without any
    restrictions. GnuPG is a RFC2440 (OpenPGP) compliant application."

    There are precompiled OS X dmg files at
    http://macgpg.sourceforge.net/

    but if you have the developer tools installed, GPG compiles with no
    problem in OS X.
    David Guest

  10. #10

    On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, David Turley wrote:

    MacAddict just ran a head to head of Mail.app vs. Entourage and Entourage
    one. One thing they got right is that Mail is pretty lacking in features.
    Entourage is far from perfect but I switched to it from Mail.app pretty
    early on and haven't had too many problems.
    (it would be nice if its organization and of the Address Book and its
    integration in the Mail sending side was better, its not even as good as
    MS Outlook on the PC, and the Calender and Task reminders aren't as good
    as they are on Outlook for the PC...what the heck is MS doing, giving us
    Mac users crappy software compared to PCs? heh)

    (actually I've noticed that many features and functionalities of MS
    Office.X are lagging behind Office XP for the PC's, subtle things like
    being able to click and drag subheadings in Powerpoint. This was not
    available in older versions of Powerpoint for the PC but was added in
    newer versions. Its still available in Mac versions)

    Daniel Guest

  11. #11

    In article
    <cis.upenn.edu>,
    Daniel McNasty <cis.upenn.edu> wrote:

    I'm using Mail now but will be getting OfficeX soon. Although Mail
    has been handling things well enough for me, except for this aggravating
    business of sending Word files, I will take a look at Entourage.
    In anticipation of that, I tried to see if there's any way of
    exporting Mail mailboxes in a way that would be recognized by other
    email programs and couldn't find a way to do it.
    I found this a little hard to believe -- it would make switching to
    another program hopelessly difficult if you wanted to hang on to your
    email folders. Maybe that's the point....

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  12. #12

    In article <TYL7b.3288$bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <ca> wrote:
    * In article
    * <cis.upenn.edu>,
    * Daniel McNasty <cis.upenn.edu> wrote:
    *
    * >
[...]

    Mail.app stores its messages in standard unix mailbox format. There's no
    need for fancy-dan export utilities if you know what you're doing.

    paulf | Some days you're the windshield.
    | Some days you're the bug.
    panix | --------------------------------
    .com | <http://paulfrankenstein.org/>
    Paul Guest

  13. #13

    In article <TYL7b.3288$bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    Option #2: you're having trouble finding the solution because it's for a
    problem that Apple didn't choose to impose (unlike *cough* certain other
    developers) on its users.

    As noted by another poster, Mail.app's native format is already MBOX; any
    other email application should be capable of reading those files directly.
    If you don't feel like digging through several layers of folders inside
    ~/Library/ to extract your mailbox files, here's a handy tip: you can drag
    a mailbox's icon from the Mail.app drawer right to some location in the
    Finder (ex. the desktop). Voila, a copy of the mailbox file is placed in
    that spot. Simple.

    --
    CC
    CC Guest

  14. #14

    In article <attbi.com>,
    CC Zona <invalid> wrote:

    > Option #2: you're having trouble finding the solution because it's for a
    > problem that Apple didn't choose to impose (unlike *cough* certain other
    > developers) on its users.
    >
    > As noted by another poster, Mail.app's native format is already MBOX; any
    > other email application should be capable of reading those files directly.
    > If you don't feel like digging through several layers of folders inside
    > ~/Library/ to extract your mailbox files, here's a handy tip: you can drag
    > a mailbox's icon from the Mail.app drawer right to some location in the
    > Finder (ex. the desktop). Voila, a copy of the mailbox file is placed in
    > that spot. Simple.[/ref]

    Thanks. I found an article that described a procedure for
    transferring mbox files to other email apps. It started with dragging
    the mbox files to the Finder and I had no trouble up to that point.
    However, I couldn't get Netscape 7's mail program to import or
    recognize it. I used NS7 before switching to Mail and am still debating
    whether I want to go back to it. Didn't realize it might not be so easy.
    The NS 7 import function only offered to transfer mail from NS 4.x
    or Eudora. I tried inserting the mbox into the appropriate place in the
    NS Mail folder and it recognized a mailbox with the same name -- and
    showed several subfolders -- but it did not display the emails contained
    therein. All the folders were empty
    For the moment, I'll stick with Mail and I'll give Entourage a look
    when I get OfficeX. The article I read said Entourage easily recognizes
    the mbox format, so I guess if I want to switch in that direction, I
    won't have a problem.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  15. #15

    CC Zona <invalid> writes: [/ref]

    Or ignore the local storage formats altogether and just use IMAP.
    Establish a mail account with a provider who uses IMAP, add that
    account to your mail program. Move messages from the old account
    into the storage on that IMAP account. Start up the other mail
    program, log onto that IMAP account and viola - your messages are
    there.

    If you have a .mac account, it's IMAP. I don't really
    recommend it, but it's an easy one. There are many many
    other mail providers who offer IMAP and I _highly_
    recommend separating one's mail provider from one's
    connectivity provider (ie. your ISP). For a huge list
    of IMAP providers, with lots of helpful information, see
    the excellent http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/imap/isps/

  16. #16

    David Turley wrote:

    If you learn anything interesting, tell us. I've found in
    the past that netscape/mozilla tend to bog down when you get
    a few thousand messages in your collection. I do most of my
    email on a machine where I can use mh for this and other reasons.

    (The fact that it's plain text is another major reason; I've
    been embarrassed too many times by netscape sending html when
    I told it firmly to never do that. ;-)

    Part of the problem is that netscape and mozilla store each
    email "folder" as one big file. This gets unwieldy when you've
    aculated a lot of megabytes of messages in a folder. And in
    these days of growing machine-generates HTML and RTF, plus inline
    images, this can rapidly add up to one monster of a file.

    A sensibly-designed email package would use directories for
    folders, and put each message in a separate file. Maybe the
    people who build fancy email GUIs will figure this out some
    day, when they get enough complaints and bug reports from
    users with nontrivial amounts of saved email.

    John Guest

  17. #17

    In article <DBQ7b.3747$bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    > Thanks. I found an article that described a procedure for
    > transferring mbox files to other email apps. It started with dragging
    > the mbox files to the Finder and I had no trouble up to that point.
    > However, I couldn't get Netscape 7's mail program to import or
    > recognize it. I used NS7 before switching to Mail and am still debating
    > whether I want to go back to it. Didn't realize it might not be so easy.
    > The NS 7 import function only offered to transfer mail from NS 4.x
    > or Eudora. I tried inserting the mbox into the appropriate place in the
    > NS Mail folder and it recognized a mailbox with the same name -- and
    > showed several subfolders -- but it did not d[/ref]

    Netscape 4 and Eudora both use MBOX as their native format. So using that
    import option on a Mail.app mailbox file should, in theory, work. However,
    since Netscape 4 was never an OS X app, the import filter may not be
    expecting to handle package file. So if using Import fails to work, try
    this instead:

    1. Control-click on the file. Select "Show Package Contents".
    2. Option-drag (i.e. copy) the package's "mbox" file to another location.
    3. Now try to Import that copied mbox file.

    (The file hasn't crossed platforms, right? Because if the line break
    characters aren't properly converted for the destination platform, that
    would likely cause problems...)

    --
    CC
    CC Guest

  18. #18

    Default Re: mail apps - plain text individ file saves

    John Chambers wrote:

    a program that does this - and has an interface similar to Mail.app
    Gyazmail - $18 -
    see versiontracker or http://www.gyazsquare.com/gyazmail/

    also - if you are willing to live with a classic application
    claris emailer v1.1.3

    both programs save individual emails as (plain) text files.
    and each mail folder is a finder folder.

    emailer - classic only
    -uses the subject of the email and the name of the folder(s) from inside
    the application as the file/folder name in the finder.
    -does NOT understand HTML (this is good!)
    -does not support iMap
    -has problems with some authenticated pop accounts
    -handles upto 5 accounts

    Gyazmail - X native
    -uses an internal numbering system for file names and numbers the
    folders for each account rather than using the folder names from inside
    the application
    -does understand html
    -supports iMap (I think)
    -handles as many accounts as you can

    Fetch, Guest

  19. #19

    "Fetch, Rover, Fetch" <edu> writes:
     [/ref]

    There are advantages and disadvantages. Nowadays, though, with
    huge filesystems and plenty of inodes, the disadvantages of
    one-message-per-file are not as bad as they used to be.

    Not yet. I've heard good things about MailSmith, too, but
    as far as I'm concerned, a mail program which doesn't do
    IMAP is entirely worthless.

    Nevertheless, Gyazmail indicates that IMAP support is forthcoming.

  20. #20

    In article <attbi.com>,
    CC Zona <invalid> wrote:

    No luck. Netscape 7 doesn't like anything it can't find in Netscape
    4.x or Eudora. I still have NS 4.7 on this machine. I might try putting
    the mbox into its mail folder and see what happens.

    No, it went directly from NS7 on this machine to Mail on this
    machine.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest