Professional Web Applications Themes

Mail loops back to me (MX problem?) - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi all, when trying to send mail to [email]kejpakejpa.com[/email] I get the error Mail loops back to me (MX problem?). When I use "mail kejpa" it's working, the problem is when using a external mailclient. Doing host -t mx kejpa.com gives kejpa.com mail is handled (pri=20) by 213.204.63.63 213.204.63.63 is the current IP of my machine I'm a bit confused when doing a telnet 213.204.63.63 25 since I'm told that I'm on gandalf.kejpa.com not just kejpa.com Could this be the cause of the problem? There is no record for gandalf.kejpa.com Any help is appreciated /Kejpa...

  1. #1

    Default Mail loops back to me (MX problem?)

    Hi all,
    when trying to send mail to [email]kejpakejpa.com[/email] I get the error Mail loops
    back to me (MX problem?).
    When I use "mail kejpa" it's working, the problem is when using a
    external mailclient.

    Doing host -t mx kejpa.com gives
    kejpa.com mail is handled (pri=20) by 213.204.63.63
    213.204.63.63 is the current IP of my machine

    I'm a bit confused when doing a telnet 213.204.63.63 25 since I'm told
    that I'm on gandalf.kejpa.com not just kejpa.com

    Could this be the cause of the problem?
    There is no record for gandalf.kejpa.com

    Any help is appreciated
    /Kejpa

    Kejpa Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mail loops back to me (MX problem?)

    Kejpa wrote:
    > Doing host -t mx kejpa.com gives
    > kejpa.com mail is handled (pri=20) by 213.204.63.63
    > 213.204.63.63 is the current IP of my machine
    Hmm. Looks correct.
    > I'm a bit confused when doing a telnet 213.204.63.63 25 since I'm told
    > that I'm on gandalf.kejpa.com not just kejpa.com
    I tried telnetting to kejpa.com:25 and did not see anything.
    > Could this be the cause of the problem?
    As I see it, the primary problem is that kejpa.com does not accept outside
    connections. Perhaps you misconfigured your SMTP server or firewall? Or does
    Ålcom block TCP 25 inbound?

    -Timo

    --
    Timo Voipio | Helsinki, Finland | ICBM at: 60 11.800 N 024 52.760 E
    GeekCode ver 3: GU>CC d s-: a--- C++ UL(+)$>+++$ P+>+++ L++(+) E- W++ N++

    Timo Voipio Guest

  3. #3

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 15:03:11 +0300, Kejpa <kejpanetscape.net> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > when trying to send mail to [email]kejpakejpa.com[/email] I get the error Mail loops
    > back to me (MX problem?).
    > When I use "mail kejpa" it's working, the problem is when using a
    > external mailclient.
    >
    > Doing host -t mx kejpa.com gives
    > kejpa.com mail is handled (pri=20) by 213.204.63.63
    > 213.204.63.63 is the current IP of my machine
    >
    > I'm a bit confused when doing a telnet 213.204.63.63 25 since I'm told
    > that I'm on gandalf.kejpa.com not just kejpa.com
    >
    > Could this be the cause of the problem?
    > There is no record for gandalf.kejpa.com
    Is gandalf.kejpa.com your FQDN hostname or in /etc/hosts (it does not
    resolve in public DNS)? I cannot 'telnet 213.204.63.63 25' (no response),
    what response do you get for that from outside of your system? And
    traceroute gets no her than 17 * core-7-ge00.alcom.aland.fi
    (194.112.1.242) 151 ms 150 ms (maybe blocked by your firewall).

    Since your computer may think it is gandalf.kejpa.com, have you configured
    your smtp server with kejpa.com in the list of hosts/domains it receives
    mail for (which smtp server/version)? What do your mail logs say?

    --
    David Efflandt - All spam ignored [url]http://www.de-srv.com/[/url]
    [url]http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/[/url] [url]http://www.berniesfloral.net/[/url]

  4. #4

    Kejpa wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > when trying to send mail to [email]kejpakejpa.com[/email] I get the error Mail loops
    > back to me (MX problem?).
    > When I use "mail kejpa" it's working, the problem is when using a
    > external mailclient.
    >
    > Doing host -t mx kejpa.com gives
    > kejpa.com mail is handled (pri=20) by 213.204.63.63
    > 213.204.63.63 is the current IP of my machine
    >
    > I'm a bit confused when doing a telnet 213.204.63.63 25 since I'm told
    > that I'm on gandalf.kejpa.com not just kejpa.com
    >
    > Could this be the cause of the problem?
    > There is no record for gandalf.kejpa.com
    You seem to have three problems, two of which have already been pointed
    out:

    Your mail server is unreachable from the outside world;

    Your mail exchange software has not been configured to accept mail for
    kejpa.com;

    Your MX record has a value which is an IP address. This is wrong, it
    should be another name which in turn should be the label on an A record
    which has a value of the address. This will cause some remote mail
    exchanges to be unable to send you mail.

    Has your ISP given you a static address? Your range is described as "DSL
    customer segment. DHCP addressing" which suggests not. If your address
    changes your mail will stop working (assuming it starts).

    Regards, Ian
    Ian Northeast Guest

  5. #5

    Kejpa <kejpanetscape.net> wrote in message news:<3F30EE7F.9020008netscape.net>...
    > Hi all,
    > when trying to send mail to [email]kejpakejpa.com[/email] I get the error Mail loops
    > back to me (MX problem?).
    > When I use "mail kejpa" it's working, the problem is when using a
    > external mailclient.
    >
    > Doing host -t mx kejpa.com gives
    > kejpa.com mail is handled (pri=20) by 213.204.63.63
    > 213.204.63.63 is the current IP of my machine
    >
    > I'm a bit confused when doing a telnet 213.204.63.63 25 since I'm told
    > that I'm on gandalf.kejpa.com not just kejpa.com
    >
    > Could this be the cause of the problem?
    > There is no record for gandalf.kejpa.com
    >
    > Any help is appreciated
    > /Kejpa
    Yup. Looks like a mail exchanger record problem.

    This question has been asked thousands of times before. So much so
    that there is even an answer to this question in the FAQ for sendmail.

    If you can

    1.) Read the FAQ
    2.) Supply information regarding the software you are using

    that may be handy?
    Xyerp Guest

  6. #6

    Hi there!
    Back after some vacation.
    Thanx for your efforts, I realized that I didn't accept connections on
    port 25 from the outside. I'd fixed that now.
    However my problem is still there, "Mail loops back to me". Postmaster
    gets the mail but it's not delievered to the user accounts.

    To David: gandalf.kejpa.com is the name of my server. From what I've
    understood it's not supposed to be in the public DSN.

    To Ian: No, I don't have a static address. My DNS records are handled by
    EveryDNS.org, they will be notified about the IP number whenever my
    computer starts and on a schedule when it's up running.

    To Xyerp: I have RTFM and I have looked at the FAQ, but I'm still in
    limbo. Software wise I have RH9 with Sendmail 8.12.8, what else do you
    need to know?

    Regards
    /Kejpa

    Kejpa Guest

  7. #7

    Kejpa <kejpanetscape.net> writes:

    ]Hi there!
    ]Back after some vacation.
    ]Thanx for your efforts, I realized that I didn't accept connections on
    ]port 25 from the outside. I'd fixed that now.
    ]However my problem is still there, "Mail loops back to me". Postmaster
    ]gets the mail but it's not delievered to the user accounts.

    ]To David: gandalf.kejpa.com is the name of my server. From what I've
    ]understood it's not supposed to be in the public DSN.

    ]To Ian: No, I don't have a static address. My DNS records are handled by
    ]EveryDNS.org, they will be notified about the IP number whenever my
    ]computer starts and on a schedule when it's up running.

    ]To Xyerp: I have RTFM and I have looked at the FAQ, but I'm still in
    ]limbo. Software wise I have RH9 with Sendmail 8.12.8, what else do you
    ]need to know?

    We need to know how you have sendmail set up. What is the mail address
    of your system. What are the various entries in sendmail.cf What is your
    local delivery agent (procmail) You get this message when you machine
    tries to forward the mail to another mail address, which it discovers is
    the current machine. Eg I had this problem when I told the system to
    deliver mail to theory.physics.ubc.ca to string.physics.ubc.ca when they
    are the same system, and I had not told the mta that they were the same.
    ie you may have to put in an entry telling the system what all the names
    of the local machine are.

    Bill Unruh Guest

  8. #8

    Hey there,
    thanx for you time, Bill.
    > We need to know how you have sendmail set up.
    I'm attaching the effective lines from my m4 config file at the bottom
    of this mail.
    > What are the various entries in sendmail.cf
    I have the standard entries there along with a handful for my accounts
    > What is your local delivery agent (procmail)
    I don't think I have one, at least haven't I configured any procmail.
    From what I've understood, SendMail is capable of distributing mail
    locally.

    I can send mail locally and I can send mail from the server but when I
    try to send to an account on the server I get this error.
    You can try it by sending to [email]kejpakejpa.com[/email] the sender will be notified
    aswell as postmaster. (I'm not too happy about that postmaster address
    being [email]postmastergandalf.kejpa.com[/email], I'd prefer just [email]postmasterkejpa.com[/email])

    How do I tell the MTA that mail destined for kejpa.com is to be handled
    by gandalf.kepja.com?

    Will just setting kejpa.com as an alias for gandalf.kejpa.com in the
    hosts file do?

    Regards
    /Kejpa

    My sendmail.mc file (commented lines have been deleted):
    divert(-1)dnl
    include(`/usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl

    VERSIONID(`setup for Red Hat Linux')dnl
    OSTYPE(`linux')dnl

    define(`confDEF_USER_ID',``8:12'')dnl
    define(`confTRUSTED_USER', `smmsp')dnl
    dnl define(`confAUTO_REBUILD')dnl
    define(`confTO_CONNECT', `1m')dnl
    define(`confTRY_NULL_MX_LIST',true)dnl
    define(`confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES',true)dnl
    define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/procmail')dnl
    define(`ALIAS_FILE', `/etc/aliases')dnl
    define(`UUCP_MAILER_MAX', `2000000')dnl
    define(`confUSERDB_SPEC', `/etc/mail/userdb.db')dnl
    define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `authwarnings,novrfy,noexpn,restrictqrun')dnl
    define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl
    define(`confTO_IDENT', `0')dnl
    FEATURE(delay_checks)dnl
    FEATURE(`no_default_msa',`dnl')dnl
    FEATURE(`smrsh',`/usr/sbin/smrsh')dnl
    FEATURE(`virtusertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable.db')dnl
    FEATURE(redirect)dnl
    FEATURE(always_add_domain)dnl

    FEATURE(`access_db',`hash -T<TMPF> -o /etc/mail/access.db')dnl
    FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients')dnl

    FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl
    FEATURE(`relay_based_on_MX')dnl
    FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
    FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl

    LOCAL_DOMAIN(`localhost.localdomain')dnl

    MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(kejpa.com)dnl
    MASQUERADE_AS(`kejpa.com')dnl

    MAILER(local)dnl
    MAILER(smtp)dnl

    Kjell Hansen Guest

  9. #9

    Kjell Hansen <kjell.hansentelia.com> writes:

    ]Hey there,
    ]thanx for you time, Bill.
    ]> We need to know how you have sendmail set up.
    ]I'm attaching the effective lines from my m4 config file at the bottom
    ]of this mail.

    ]> What are the various entries in sendmail.cf
    ]I have the standard entries there along with a handful for my accounts

    ]> What is your local delivery agent (procmail)
    ]I don't think I have one, at least haven't I configured any procmail.
    ] From what I've understood, SendMail is capable of distributing mail
    ]locally.

    No. One of the entries in sendmail.cf is the user delivery agent. I have
    not worked with sendmail in about 5 years, but recall the lines being
    about halfway down.

    ]I can send mail locally and I can send mail from the server but when I
    ]try to send to an account on the server I get this error.
    ]You can try it by sending to [email]kejpakejpa.com[/email] the sender will be notified
    ]aswell as postmaster. (I'm not too happy about that postmaster address
    ]being [email]postmastergandalf.kejpa.com[/email], I'd prefer just [email]postmasterkejpa.com[/email])

    ]How do I tell the MTA that mail destined for kejpa.com is to be handled
    ]by gandalf.kepja.com?

    You tell dns who is to handle the mail. At present mail for kejpa.com is
    handled by hst63-63.aland.net, as the only dns MX entry.
    I assume that hst63-63.aland.net then sends on mail for kejpa.com to
    gandalf.kejpa.com.

    ]Will just setting kejpa.com as an alias for gandalf.kejpa.com in the
    ]hosts file do?

    Probably not in the hosts file. In the sendmail.cf file.

    Hmm. I left sendmail for postfix about the time that the .mc files came
    in. The .cf raw files is what I remember editing and there was a line )w
    I think it it was) which listed all the aliases for the local machine
    (email addresses for which this machine was the recipient).

    ]My sendmail.mc file (commented lines have been deleted):
    ]divert(-1)dnl
    ]include(`/usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl

    ]VERSIONID(`setup for Red Hat Linux')dnl
    ]OSTYPE(`linux')dnl

    ]define(`confDEF_USER_ID',``8:12'')dnl
    ]define(`confTRUSTED_USER', `smmsp')dnl
    ]dnl define(`confAUTO_REBUILD')dnl
    ]define(`confTO_CONNECT', `1m')dnl
    ]define(`confTRY_NULL_MX_LIST',true)dnl
    ]define(`confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES',true)dnl
    ]define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/procmail')dnl

    Notice this statement. It is what tells sendmail to hand off local
    delivery to procmail

    ]define(`ALIAS_FILE', `/etc/aliases')dnl
    ]define(`UUCP_MAILER_MAX', `2000000')dnl
    ]define(`confUSERDB_SPEC', `/etc/mail/userdb.db')dnl
    ]define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `authwarnings,novrfy,noexpn,restrictqrun')dnl
    ]define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl
    ]define(`confTO_IDENT', `0')dnl
    ]FEATURE(delay_checks)dnl
    ]FEATURE(`no_default_msa',`dnl')dnl
    ]FEATURE(`smrsh',`/usr/sbin/smrsh')dnl
    ]FEATURE(`virtusertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable.db')dnl
    ]FEATURE(redirect)dnl
    ]FEATURE(always_add_domain)dnl

    ]FEATURE(`access_db',`hash -T<TMPF> -o /etc/mail/access.db')dnl
    ]FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients')dnl

    ]FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl
    ]FEATURE(`relay_based_on_MX')dnl
    ]FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
    ]FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl

    ]LOCAL_DOMAIN(`localhost.localdomain')dnl

    You could try adding kepja.com to this LOCAL_DOMAIN definition. Looking
    at the sendmail.cf of a friends machine (the mc file is not there) there
    is also the Fw which is file listing the names of hosts for which we
    recieve mail. which seems to be /etc/mail/local-host-names
    so try putting it in there.

  10. #10

    Kejpa <kejpanetscape.net> wrote in message news:<3F3E7D9E.1040902netscape.net>...
    > Hi there!
    > Back after some vacation.
    > Thanx for your efforts, I realized that I didn't accept connections on
    > port 25 from the outside. I'd fixed that now.
    > However my problem is still there, "Mail loops back to me". Postmaster
    > gets the mail but it's not delievered to the user accounts.
    >
    > To David: gandalf.kejpa.com is the name of my server. From what I've
    > understood it's not supposed to be in the public DSN.
    >
    > To Ian: No, I don't have a static address. My DNS records are handled by
    > EveryDNS.org, they will be notified about the IP number whenever my
    > computer starts and on a schedule when it's up running.
    >
    > To Xyerp: I have RTFM and I have looked at the FAQ, but I'm still in
    > limbo. Software wise I have RH9 with Sendmail 8.12.8, what else do you
    > need to know?
    >
    > Regards
    > /Kejpa
    From the special sendmail faq/rtfm section:

    "
    Error message means that <hub> is primary mail handler for <host>.
    And there isn't special rules for handling mail to <host> it
    sendmail.cf.
    And therefore rules of sendmail.cf select SMTP -mailer again. And
    MX -records tell that SMTP -mailer to should connect to itself. That
    is error condition.

    There is several solutions, depends what you actually want.
    A) Tell that mail to <host> is local mail to <hub>
    A1) Add <host> to class 'w'
    A1a) Cw -command
    A2b) FEATURE(use_cw_file) /etc/sendmail.cw (or was feature
    name this?)
    A3c) Fw -command
    A2) Special rules in sendmail.cf
    B) Pass mail to other mailer (that (E)SMTP mailer)
    A1) FEATURE(mailertable) /etc/mailertable
    A2) Special rules in sendmail.cf
    C) Bypass MX -records (and pass mail to (E)SMTP mailer)
    A1) FEATURE(mailertable) /etc/mailertable
    A2) Special rules in sendmail.cf
    A3) use option 'w' : Ow -command (configuration errors can lead
    to 'host unknown' or 'message timed out' -errors instead
    that 'MX records points back to' -message.
    "

    (Applies to a slightly older version of sendmail, check manual for
    updates where applicable).
    Xyerp Guest