Professional Web Applications Themes

mail problem with Mozilla 1.5 - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi there ! My config: RedHat 7.2 with kernel 2.4.7-10 on an IBM Thinkpad 600, (500 MHz, 128 MB RAM). I had no problem using Mozilla 1.3. The reason why I wanted to try Moz 1.5, was the advanced treatment of spams (I receive about 200 to 800 spams a day). Indeed, this fonction is wonderful, as I can appreciate it on my other PC, the one from which this is written and sent, that is, a HP Compaq Pentium 4 with 256 MB RAM, RedHat 7.2 kernel 2.4.20-x, where Mozilla 1.5 receives mail without any problem so far. Back ...

  1. #1

    Default mail problem with Mozilla 1.5

    Hi there !

    My config: RedHat 7.2 with kernel 2.4.7-10 on an IBM Thinkpad 600, (500
    MHz, 128 MB RAM). I had no problem using Mozilla 1.3. The reason why I
    wanted to try Moz 1.5, was the advanced treatment of spams (I receive
    about 200 to 800 spams a day). Indeed, this fonction is wonderful, as I
    can appreciate it on my other PC, the one from which this is written and
    sent, that is, a HP Compaq Pentium 4 with 256 MB RAM, RedHat 7.2 kernel
    2.4.20-x, where Mozilla 1.5 receives mail without any problem so far.

    Back to my Thinkpad: Mozilla 1.5 seemed to work perfectly for about two
    days after installation. I had kept Mozilla 1.3 in another home directory
    of the same machine.

    The third time I downloaded mail, downloading got stuck in the middle,
    maybe at the 122nd message of 450. It was somewhat stalled, and remained
    so, even after several minutes waiting. In the meantime, the system was
    not stuck, and the internet connexion was not even interrupted, as I could
    check in running XChat. Even Mozilla was not entirely stuck, as I could
    use the browser and display remote web pages. But I was unable to get
    through the mail window until I killed it ! Next, I stopped the internet
    connexion and restarted it ; I also restarted Mozilla and tried again.
    Downloading started again, and, once more, stopped on the 122nd message !
    Then, I quit everything, I logged out of user2 and logged in user1 and
    launched Mozilla 1.3. This time, the downloading went trough. The only
    thing I noticed when it was at the 122nd message, is that it took several
    dozains of seconds more than average. Still, I haven't been able to figure
    out what exactly was the 122nd message, since these are sorted again in
    the inbox. Back to Moz 1.5, mail download went right, but only 3 or 4 new
    mails had arrived in between. At next mail download, the same thing
    happened again, last time, it was the 297th out of 312 messages that
    stalled the download forever. It may be that a spammer re-send the same
    message, or else, maybe it happens with a given category of messages, with
    javascripts or else...

    Thanks in advance for any hint to get out of this problem
    bd Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: mail problem with Mozilla 1.5

    In comp.os.linux.misc bd <fr> wrote:
    : thing I noticed when it was at the 122nd message, is that it took several
    : dozains of seconds more than average. Still, I haven't been able to figure

    : Thanks in advance for any hint to get out of this problem

    If it is similar to what I've seen, then binary crud in the note is
    messing up your mail client (Mozilla). Different clients react
    differently to the binary crud that many spams have these days.

    I'd suggest pulling up a different mailer- Pine is fairly robust
    in this respect, Mutt reads some stuff that Pine can't but also
    barfs with more items also- and deleting the spam or other
    offending messages. Then back to Mozilla.

    If this occurs often you'll likely want to find a mailer that
    handles your particular situation well- then use that to
    clean things up when Mozilla barfs.

    F you can isolate the binary messages that cause grief in
    Mozilla, I'd recommend tar'ing or zipping them and send them
    off to the Mozilla team so that maybe they can fix the
    bugs for a future release.

    regards

    Stan
    --
    Stan Bischof ("stan" at the below domain)
    www.worldbadminton.com

  3. #3

    On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 18:20:00 +0100, bd wrote:

    If I was getting that many spams I would consider changing isp.
    --
    Neil
    Cut the spamless for email

  4. #4

    "bd" <fr> wrote in message

    First, you absolutely should update that kernel, there are some known
    exploits against it. I wonder what else you've missed out on updating that a
    recent Mozilla may require?

    ??? Why aren't you using the available RedHat RPM's?

    Sounds like a hint to me. Did you recompile the Mozilla for your particular
    platform? Are you using POP or IMAP? Could your mail server actually be
    having the issue?

    Nico Guest