Professional Web Applications Themes

Mail Setup - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello, I'm a relative newbie, I do have some experience and don't giveup easily, so here's what I would like to do.... I would like to take all the mail I get from my POP server, pop.sentex.net, and have it recieved by a linux machine, so I can put spam filters against it. And then retrieve all my mail with my Windows machine from the linux, spam filtered mail, machine. Thus creating a standalone mail filtering system. Can I do this? See, there's a flood of garbage I get everyday, and I can't change that particular email account, it's attached ...

  1. #1

    Default Mail Setup

    Hello,
    I'm a relative newbie, I do have some experience and don't giveup
    easily, so here's what I would like to do....

    I would like to take all the mail I get from my POP server,
    pop.sentex.net, and have it recieved by a linux machine, so I can put spam
    filters against it. And then retrieve all my mail with my Windows machine
    from the linux, spam filtered mail, machine. Thus creating a standalone
    mail filtering system.

    Can I do this? See, there's a flood of garbage I get everyday, and I
    can't change that particular email account, it's attached to my main
    account, unless I pay $10, and well I don't wanna pay that, so I would like
    to capture the mail on a remote server, my linux box, and then pick it up
    from that box. Mainly because I don't want the box to fillup and not allow
    legit email in.

    I tried SurgeMail, and I just don't get some of the settings, I'm not a
    mail guru, I do networking and stuff, just not much, and it's all gibberish
    to me sometimes, maybe it's just too late I don't know, please help me and
    let me know if this is at all possible.

    Thank you,
    Kevin

    Kevin Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mail Setup

    Kevin wrote:

    Use fetchmail to get the mail from your POP3 service.
    Setup fetchmail to deliver mail using procmail.
    Setup procmail to run SpamAssassin.
    Setup an IMAP service to make your spam-filtered mail available to other
    machines.

    It's what I do. It works fine.
    I suggest setting up SpamAssassin last, after you know the rest works.

    Allen Guest

  3. #3

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 00:18:28 -0400, Kevin <net> wrote:

    Fetchmail is the standard linux/UNIX tool for downloading mail from a
    pop server. Easy to use. As for connecting a linux box with a M$ box, samba is
    the tool normally used for that.

    This looks like a simple file transfer, so there may be another way that is
    simpler. (Knowing M$ a little bit, I doubt it :-).

    --
    Later, Alan C
    take control of your mailbox ----- elrav1 ----- http://tinyurl.com/l55a

    Alan Guest

  4. #4

    Kevin wrote:

    Use "fetchmail" to retrieve all your POP email and put it on the Linux
    box, then run IMAP or POP on your Linux box to serve the mail to your
    Windows box.

    You have my *deepest* sympathies. The latest RedHat distributions
    include "SpamAssassin", which is a useful filtering tool. You'll need to
    learn a bit of procmail in order to do clever things with the spam once
    it's identified.

    Nico Guest

  5. #5

    Allen Kistler <moc> wrote in message news:<XoQbb.5981$news.prodigy.com>... [/ref]

    I don't know if this fits the bill, but I am similar to you in needs
    and user level. I use Evolution at home. I have set up a filter that
    will send to a local folder all mail that does not have my email
    address in the to or cc lines. As simple as that sounds, it works
    surprisingly well. 62 spam (mostly Microsoft support offering to
    "patch my system with latest level of fix support") in 2 days diverted
    to Spam folder. Ran this way for 3 weeks to work out bugs, then
    changed Spam folder to 'trash'.

    Blake
    Blake Guest

  6. #6

    Hello Everyone,
    Thank you for your kind input, it is much appreciated, and I am going to
    try it out tonight, hopefully, I've had a long day, but hey, it's linux and
    fun so I 'll probably finish this tonight.

    Fetchmail here I come....

    Kevin

    "Allen Kistler" <moc> wrote in message
    news:XoQbb.5981$news.prodigy.com... [/ref]
    spam [/ref]
    machine [/ref]
    I [/ref]
    like [/ref]
    up [/ref]
    allow [/ref]
    not a [/ref]
    gibberish [/ref]
    and

    > Use fetchmail to get the mail from your POP3 service.
    > Setup fetchmail to deliver mail using procmail.
    > Setup procmail to run SpamAssassin.
    > Setup an IMAP service to make your spam-filtered mail available to other
    > machines.
    >
    > It's what I do. It works fine.
    > I suggest setting up SpamAssassin last, after you know the rest works.
    >[/ref]

    Kevin Guest

  7. #7

    Kevin wrote:

    What you are looking for is /entirely/ possible with Linux.

    On Linux, I use
    cron to run a nightly
    fetchmail to retrieve my mail from my ISP. Fetchmail drops my mail into
    sendmail, which, before distributing it, passes it through
    procmail, where my distribution mgmt resides, and my mail filter hook to
    spamassassin, which grades incoming mail as to spam or ham.

    On the Winders side, I use one of a number of standard POP3 clients to
    retrieve my mail from the Linux box.

    The Windows POP3 client requests my mail from
    popa3d (on linux), which grabs mail out of my linux mailbox maintained by
    sendmail (on linux) from mail that passed through the input process above.

    [snip]

    --
    Lew Pitcher

    Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training