Professional Web Applications Themes

Mailing List - PHP Development

Dear All, I would like to setup a mailing list for my company. I have a database containing email address of my clients along with other details. How can I send them mails ? If i write a script containing the mail function and loop the address, I think that might generate a script timeout error. I feel increasing the script timeout is not a good solution. I would like to know how you manage such situations. I feel this is a common problem but i didnt find any solution on the net. Do I need to use any sw ...

  1. #1

    Default Mailing List

    Dear All,

    I would like to setup a mailing list for my company.
    I have a database containing email address of my clients along with other
    details.
    How can I send them mails ?
    If i write a script containing the mail function and loop the address, I
    think that might generate a script timeout error. I feel increasing the
    script timeout is not a good solution. I would like to know how you manage
    such situations. I feel this is a common problem but i didnt find any
    solution on the net. Do I need to use any sw or are there any already
    available scripts.

    Thanks a Lot !!
    Long Live PHP !!

    Thanks & Regards,
    ___________________________
    PHPLover
    "Gd dsn't ply dc."
    - lbrt nstn

    Phplover Guest

  2. #2

    Default RE: [PHP] Mailing List

    Allowing scripts to run without some kind of time limit may not be prudent,
    but settling for the timelimit imposed on online web pages is not reasonable
    either. I would recommend you reset the time limit to something reasonable
    to perform your email tasks on the computer you have available.

    http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.set-time-limit.php

    As long as you don't have a "run away" program, I can't think of any reason
    not to allow it to have the time it needs to get the job done.

    Warren Vail
    net

  3. #3

    > I would like to setup a mailing list for my company.

    I built a queuing system to email to a large list. The general approach is
    to add a database table that stores the email message and tracks progress
    through the list. A PHP script called by a crontab checks the database to
    see if a mailing is in progress. If so, it selects a certain number of
    addresses and sends the message. By controlling the number of addresses
    selected and how often the crontab calls the script, the email rate is
    controlled. And using a crontab makes it a background process. The email
    message is created and list progress monitored through a content management
    system.

    --
    Lowell Allen
    Lowell Guest

  4. #4

    PHPLover --

    ...and then PHPLover said...
    %
    % Dear All,
    %
    % I would like to setup a mailing list for my company.

    Then set up a mailing list.

    % I have a database containing email address of my clients along with other
    % details.

    That's good.

    % How can I send them mails ?

    I would highly recommend ezmlm for mailing list software. It does a
    fantastic job.

    Now if you actually mean to send customized letters you'll have to inject
    each one singly, which really gets time-consuming.

    In either case, I would avoid having php do your actual mailing; use the
    web interface for selecting recipients, creating your message body, and
    whatnot, but then hand off the actual mailing work to a separate process
    (and don't expect to wait until it finishes).

    % If i write a script containing the mail function and loop the address, I
    % think that might generate a script timeout error. I feel increasing the
    % script timeout is not a good solution. I would like to know how you manage

    We run a fan / marketing site for various clients (bands, video game
    companies, whatnot) which offer content for those interested, a vanity
    email address, and regular newsletters offsite to the "base" addresses.
    Through moderate but not insane tuning I've managed to get our mail
    processing down to about 120ms per message; that gives me in excess of
    25k messages queued per hour, which is near our target of 60k emails
    within two hours (and of course some of those take longer because of
    timeouts and retries and such). Even so, there's obviously no way that a
    web browser would wait around for that kind of delay.

    We follow a model similar to that of another poster; our subscribers are
    in a database along with the massmail info and a cron job checks for
    queued jobs and processes them. It would be a lot easier if we could
    send out a general letter, but fans like it when you address them by name
    and so on :-/

    % such situations. I feel this is a common problem but i didnt find any
    % solution on the net. Do I need to use any sw or are there any already
    % available scripts.

    I agree that it's a common problem. The reason you didn't find your
    answers was because you looked for the wrong ones :-)

    %
    % Thanks a Lot !!
    % Long Live PHP !!
    %
    % Thanks & Regards,
    % ___________________________
    % PHPLover
    % "Gd dsn't ply dc."
    % - lbrt nstn

    Is there something wrong with your vowels?

    HTH & HAND

    :-D
    --
    David T-G * There is too much animal courage in
    (play) org * society and not sufficient moral courage.

    David Guest