Professional Web Applications Themes

Mailserver - Sun Solaris

We're ditching our Exchange server in favour of one running on Solaris. At first we thought about Sun's iMS, but we have specific demands for having no single point of failures. iMS unfortunately won't run under NFS, so the hardware solution we would end up with were ridicuously expensive. Therefore we're back to square one, on the hunt for a suitable mailserver for Solaris. Which mailservers do people find works fine with Solaris? I have no oposition against using OS, but our requirements are that it should be: 1: Easy to administer 2: Easy to maintain 3: Easy to install ...

  1. #1

    Default Mailserver

    We're ditching our Exchange server in favour of one running on Solaris.
    At first we thought about Sun's iMS, but we have specific demands for having
    no single point of failures. iMS unfortunately won't run under NFS, so the
    hardware solution we would end up with were ridicuously expensive.

    Therefore we're back to square one, on the hunt for a suitable mailserver
    for Solaris. Which mailservers do people find works fine with Solaris?
    I have no oposition against using OS, but our requirements are that it
    should be:

    1: Easy to administer
    2: Easy to maintain
    3: Easy to install
    4: Allow a group of users to perform certain administrator tasks
    5: Allow users to administer their own out of office/vacation messages
    6: Have fully integrated anti-spam features
    7: Have antivirus sofware installed or be ready for having AV installed
    8: Make the migration from Exchange as seamless as possible for Outlook
    users
    9: Feature LDAP and an exchangable calendar
    10: POP3 and IMAP

    Yes, iMS can do this but drops dead through the floor when it comes to DB's
    and mailboxes on NFS volumes.
    But if OpenSource can do this withouth requiring something like at least 2
    months of doentation reading, configuration and installation, I'd like
    to hear some alternatives. If not, which mailserver would fulfill our need?
    We're about 50 people.

    --
    Stig Bull
    | remove .no.spam from my email address to reply by mail |

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mailserver

    :
[...]

    HP's OpenMail, now a Samsung product, is suppose to be a drop-in
    replacement for an Exchange server:

    http://www.openmail.com/cyc/om/00/index.html
    OpenMail

    "...Samsung SDS and HP sign OpenMail license agreement.

    On November 13th 2001 Hewlett-Packard Company and Samsung SDS signed a
    licensing agreement allowing SDS to develop, enhance and sell
    messaging solutions built on HP's OpenMail e-mail server software.
    Click here to read the full announcement or go directly to
    www.samsungcontact.com.

    OpenMail Downloads

    OpenMail downloads are only available to customers that have been
    issued with a valid user id and password. Click here to go to the
    OpenMail download page.

    What is OpenMail?

    OpenMail is a UNIX and Linux based messaging and collaboration
    solution. Designed for heterogeneous environments, OpenMail not only
    facilitates different client desktops and multiple messaging systems,
    but is also built on open standards. It prevents lock-in while
    providing the lowest total cost of ownership of any messaging system
    on the market.

    With a server that runs on HP-UX, AIX, Solaris and Linux, OpenMail can
    also interoperate with servers from other leading vendors. OpenMail is
    a standards-based Internet technology, supporting transport standards
    such as SMTP/MIME, client access standards including MAPI, POP3 and
    IMAP4, and directory standards including LDAP and X.500.
    OpenMail supports many of the leading desktop clients, and includes
    OpenMail clients to meet the varying needs of customers. OpenMail
    provides: low cost of ownership; proven design; scalability and
    reliability."

    --Jerry Leslie
    Note: houston.rr.com is invalid for email
    leslie Guest

  3. #3

    * leslie:

    Yes, that looked very interesting, but I gave them a call, and they won't
    sell with less than 500 licenses (okay, they miiiight be able to squeeze it
    down to 300).
    So... Anyone else?

  4. #4

    http://microsoft.toddverbeek.com/mta.html

    http://www.pokorra.de/diplomathesis/solutions/ysisresults.html

    http://www.bynari.net

    http://www.daypoint.com/main/default.asp

    http://www.samsungcontact.com/en/

    http://www.lotus.com/porducts/r5web.nsf/webhome/nr5serverhp-new

    "Stig Bull" <no> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    having
    DB's
    need?

    tripal Guest

  5. #5

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 12:35:48 +0200
    Stig Bull <no> wrote:

    [snip mail server stuff]

    www.stalker.com CommuniGate Pro

    --
    Barbie - Prayers are like junkmail for Jesus

    I have seen things you lusers would not believe.
    I've seen Sun monitors on fire off the side of the multimedia lab.
    I've seen NTU lights glitter in the dark near the Mail Gate.
    All these things will be lost in time, like the root partition last week.
    Time to die.
    Barbie Guest

  6. #6

    Your comments re OS and "no single point of failure" are interesting. One
    big point of failure
    you should consider with OS is how well does it handle high-load conditions.
    We recently
    completed a Proof Of Concept visit with Verison using iMS (5.1.1) and
    (unintentionally)
    left a test case running that produced a 1-hour+ backlog of inbound messages
    queued for
    delivery to mailboxes. iMS successfuly drained that entire backlog reliably
    with no
    failures at any point in the s/w stack.

    They're using OpenWave and their complaint is that OW would never have
    survived that
    same scenario. I can tell you from experience that iMS handles these
    conditions comfortably.
    Yes, iMS doesn't support NFS due to lack of an atomic OPEN function under
    NFS.
    This "atomicity-at-open" is needed for reliable mailbox state management.

    So my basic caution in evaluating iMS vs OS (or OW or anyone else) is that
    while
    iMS can, and OS may, support your 10 items below, an Item 11 should be added
    that states "Be able to reliably and quickly handle under-forecasted peak
    load traffic".

    If any messaging product you evaluate fails to clear this, then you do have
    a single
    point of failure - the messaging application itself!

    --
    r.m.
    Reference Architecture Engineering

    "Stig Bull" <no> wrote in message
    having
    DB's
    need?

    Randy Guest

  7. #7

    [Stig Bull]:

    http://www.limacute.org/ has all of these. Limacute is free software,
    but commercial support is available. (since there are no prebuilt
    packages for Solaris, I think you may need that.)

    --
    Kjetil T. | read and make up your own mind
    | http://www.cactus48.com/truth.html
    Kjetil Guest

  8. #8

    "Kjetil Torgrim Homme" <ifi.uio.no> skrev i melding

    > http://www.limacute.org/ has all of these. Limacute is free software,
    > but commercial support is available. (since there are no prebuilt
    > packages for Solaris, I think you may need that.)[/ref]

    I agree. At work, we are running Limacute on HP-UX as a production
    mailserver without problems. We used the commercial support from
    LinPro (www.linpro.no) are are very satisfied, especially since we
    started out with the same requirements and found all the "usual
    suspects" from commercial vendors to cost at least an order of
    magnitude more in installation, license and support fees - not to
    speak of operations cost (staff, training, management tools).

    I can't say about #8 or the "exchangable calendar" from #9, we did
    not have such requirements and don't use it, anyway.

    I'd love to see a pre-built package for Solaris and will try to put
    one together around xmas.
    Torsten Guest