Professional Web Applications Themes

Mainframes - PERL Beginners

Hi, Does anyone have any advice about using perl to connect using telnet or any other TCP/IP protocols to mainframes? Phillip Bruce ISC Consultant, System Architect Location: Dublin, CA * Cell: 408-476-8658 * Office: 925-560-7853 AIM: OkieUnix...

  1. #1

    Default Mainframes

    Hi,

    Does anyone have any advice about using perl to connect using

    telnet or any other TCP/IP protocols to mainframes?

    Phillip Bruce
    ISC Consultant, System Architect
    Location: Dublin, CA
    * Cell: 408-476-8658
    * Office: 925-560-7853
    AIM: OkieUnix

    Bruce Phillip Guest

  2. #2

    Default RE: Mainframes

    > Hi,

    Howdy
    > Does anyone have any advice about using perl to connect using
    >
    > telnet or any other TCP/IP protocols to mainframes?
    Yes, use Modules!!

    The Net:: (Net::Telnet for instance) modules have most everything covered, also Socket modules, DBI modules, CGI etc... Modules fo reverythgin you'd ever need and more!

    Check out all of that on search.cpan.org

    That's where Id start..

    HTH
    DMuey
    Dan Muey Guest

  3. #3

    Dan,

    I'm already using Net::Telnet module right now.
    What I'd like to see is some examples of those
    that connect to mainframes.

    I appreciate any other link you can provide other than
    Cpan.

    Phillip

  4. #4

    > Dan,
    >
    > I'm already using Net::Telnet module right now.
    > What I'd like to see is some examples of those
    > that connect to mainframes.
    >
    > I appreciate any other link you can provide other than
    > Cpan.
    Care to elaborate on exactly wht your trying to do then?
    That may help people post examples more specific to your needs.

    What do you mean by "connect to mainframe", for instance?

    One could argue that you open a browser and go to it's ip address.
    That probably won't help you too much though unless you specify what
    specific tasks are needing done to shed light on the needed process.

    So what are you wanting to do and what have you tried so far?

    > Phillip

    Dan Muey Guest

  5. #5

    Dan,

    Currently I don't have access to a Mainframe. YET!
    To do the same thing I'm doing with opensystems.
    I basically telnet to the systems and run commands
    That will return me information about the configuration
    Of the system.

    Phillip

    > I'm already using Net::Telnet module right now.
    > What I'd like to see is some examples of those
    > that connect to mainframes.
    >
    > I appreciate any other link you can provide other than
    > Cpan.
    Care to elaborate on exactly wht your trying to do then?
    That may help people post examples more specific to your needs.

    What do you mean by "connect to mainframe", for instance?

    One could argue that you open a browser and go to it's ip address.
    That probably won't help you too much though unless you specify what
    specific tasks are needing done to shed light on the needed process.

    So what are you wanting to do and what have you tried so far?

    > Phillip

    Bruce Phillip Guest

  6. #6

    Wow, another mainframer!

    I wasn't sure you could telnet to a mainframe (OS/390 or z/OS I assume you
    mean) until I just tried it using a telnet emulator. Usually one uses 3270
    emulation. I'm not sure what it buys you since most services use ISPF.

    Most of my Perl stuff (very basic stuff) either uses basic services on
    OS/390 (FTP, TSO, etc.) or communicates to an application running there with
    TCP/IP (from Windows 2000). No telnet, though.

    Any more detail about what you want to do?

    Dan Murphy

    > I'm already using Net::Telnet module right now.
    > What I'd like to see is some examples of those
    > that connect to mainframes.
    >
    > I appreciate any other link you can provide other than
    > Cpan.
    Care to elaborate on exactly wht your trying to do then?
    That may help people post examples more specific to your needs.

    What do you mean by "connect to mainframe", for instance?

    One could argue that you open a browser and go to it's ip address.
    That probably won't help you too much though unless you specify what
    specific tasks are needing done to shed light on the needed process.

    So what are you wanting to do and what have you tried so far?

    > Phillip

    Daniel Murphy Guest

  7. #7

    Mainframes are powerful machines now a days.
    so for reading mainframe dataset using VBA we have to go through from DB2 which can easily access to Dataset.
    VBA uses the databases to hold data in mainframes and for this purpose it uses COBOL and JCL.
    so simply to read dataset by VBA you should have command on COBOL.
    [url=http://www.mosttechnologies.com/mainframes]MAINFRAMES [/url]
    amnamansoor is offline Junior Member
    Apr 2012
    Location