Professional Web Applications Themes

Maintaining a Minimal Installation for a Small HDD - FreeBSD

hi there, i'm currently running FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE on a Thinkpad 586, with a 1GB HDD and something like 48 MB of ram, with a pentium 133 processor. there is no CD drive, so i installed from floppies via FTP and selected 'minimal' installation, and didn't install any of the ports or src. i now want to upgrade to 5.3 (for various reasons) and i want to have a source tree that i can use to maintain my system via cvsup. in my stable-supfile, i commented out src-all, and then selected only the packages that i thought i would need. i ...

  1. #1

    Default Maintaining a Minimal Installation for a Small HDD

    hi there, i'm currently running FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE on a Thinkpad 586, with
    a 1GB HDD and something like 48 MB of ram, with a pentium 133 processor.

    there is no CD drive, so i installed from floppies via FTP and selected
    'minimal' installation, and didn't install any of the ports or src.

    i now want to upgrade to 5.3 (for various reasons) and i want to have a
    source tree that i can use to maintain my system via cvsup.

    in my stable-supfile, i commented out src-all, and then selected only the
    packages that i thought i would need.

    i commented out src-contrib, but this produced an error that make did not
    know how to build bool-array.cc.

    src-contrib is very large, and there are loads and loads of programs in
    there that i don't need for this machine (i am really only ever going to use
    the laptop to ssh into another computer on my network at home and from uni
    over the wireless network... it's just a portable terminal).

    i'm pretty confident that i could select what i need, (ie. i think i could
    go into contrib and select only the programs that i want to install) but i
    don't really know how to do it.

    do i need to edit the Makefiles? how can i cvsup only those programs in
    contrib that i need? my aim here is to have a compact source tree that i can
    use cvsup to keep current, but only takes up a couple of hundred meg.

    i'm not sure where to start. the handbook is usually a good place to start
    but i don't know the best section to look in. any help would be greatly
    appreciated.

    cheers

    iain

    Iain Guest

  2. #2

    "Iain Dooley" <com> writes:

    Doing this is not supported. One of FreeBSD's strong points is the
    fact that it *is* a whole operating system, not just a collection of
    pieces. That doesn't mean it's impossible -- lots of us are using
    partial subsets of the source tree for embedded projects -- but it
    does mean that anyone trying to do so are pretty much on our own.

    Your easiest path for a source upgrade is probably to do a remote
    mount of disk space over a network (beware security concerns...) and
    use that to hold a full source tree. It will be slow, but just leave
    it to do the build over the weekend and you should be set (or do the
    build itself on another machine, and just install from there).

    The recommended path is to do a binary upgrade. 5.4 will be out in a
    few weeks, and release candidate builds are available now.

    Good luck.
    Lowell Guest

  3. #3

    hi lowell,

    to what extent does building the sources on my machine affect the resulting
    binaries? to be more specific:

    i read the freebsd handbook section on maintaining multiple systems from one
    'build machine'. if i were to allocate one of the machines on my network to
    build sources into binaries, say my HP PII, would those binaries be
    appropriate to install on my thinkpad? my understanding is that i could take
    a subset of those binaries and install them on my laptop, and then build the
    kernel from the thinkpad and this would work (assuming i got all the
    binaries right). is that correct?

    cheers

    iain

    Iain Guest

  4. #4

    Yep, that's pretty much right. Use one of the systems to build
    everything as packages, and then install all those packages onto your
    other machines.

    You'll still need to compile the kernel and source on each individual machine.

    On Apr 6, 2005 4:18 PM, Iain Dooley <com> wrote:

    > to what extent does building the sources on my machine affect the resulting
    > binaries? to be more specific:
    >
    > i read the freebsd handbook section on maintaining multiple systems from one
    > 'build machine'. if i were to allocate one of the machines on my network to
    > build sources into binaries, say my HP PII, would those binaries be
    > appropriate to install on my thinkpad? my understanding is that i could take
    > a subset of those binaries and install them on my laptop, and then build the
    > kernel from the thinkpad and this would work (assuming i got all the
    > binaries right). is that correct?
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > iain

    Pat Guest

  5. #5

    Pat Maddox <com> writes:

    Or share them (e.g., by NFS), and build them on the individual machines.

    Or share them (e.g., by NFS), and build them on the master machine,
    then install on the other machines (just make sure you don't build
    them with optimizations that will break the other machines -- of
    course, this caveat also applies to building packages for those other
    machines).

    Or you could build the kernel and source on the master machine and
    share them (e.g., by NFS) to install on the other machines. Or use
    FreeBSD Update or something similar (e.g., you could put a simple
    version together with rsync). Or build your own releases on the
    master machine and let the other machines update to them via anonymous
    FTP. There are a huge number of possibilities, limited only by the
    amount of effort you're willing to put into them.
    Lowell Guest