Professional Web Applications Themes

maintaining pantone colors from photoshop - Adobe Illustrator Windows

hey guys, i'm new here. ok, i'm working on this logo that i've created in photoshop 5.5 (i know, a little old isn't it. it's a work so i really don't care if the boss wants to upgrade or not) anyways, when i was creating this logo, i used pantone colours, at least i thought i did. i went to the color picker and clicked on custom to get my colors. i'm saving the logo as a .psd/jpeg. is this correct? now when i want to open or place my logo into illustrator 10, it's all correct but when ia ...

  1. #1

    Default maintaining pantone colors from photoshop

    hey guys, i'm new here. ok, i'm working on this logo that i've created in photoshop 5.5 (i know, a little old isn't it. it's a work so i really don't care if the boss wants to upgrade or not) anyways, when i was creating this logo, i used pantone colours, at least i thought i did. i went to the color picker and clicked on custom to get my colors. i'm saving the logo as a .psd/jpeg. is this correct? now when i want to open or place my logo into illustrator 10, it's all correct but when ia want to check my colours, i go to file>separation colors> and it as an icon next to the cmyk box located in the middle of this screen, in which i think meaning that i have used cmyk to design my logo. but i didn't? help!
    hermes1208@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: maintaining pantone colors from photoshop

    Hermes,

    There is no way to maintain Pantone References within PS5.5 except in
    Duotones. In all other cirstances they will always be converted to
    process. You would need PS7x or CS which both have the ability to create
    spot colour channels.

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    ok, i fail to mention that i do have cs at home. i'm not too concern about not having cs at work here but the logo that i'm creating is for myself, my resume so it's personally for me. so let's rephrase my questions. how do i maintain my pantone colors from photoshop cs to illustrator 10? thanks in advance!
    hermes1208@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    But not when placing in Illustrator 10. You will need Illustrator CS to utilize the spot color support from psd and pdf images.
    John_Kallios@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Hermes,

    Create the spot colour content in a spot colour channel. Save as DCS-2 EPS,
    Multiple file with Colour Composite, 8-bit TIFF preview and ASCII encoding.
    Place as a linked file in Illustrator 10. Your spot colour will be retained
    and should separate correctly.

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    But, only when output from Illustrator. You will not be able to save out, place and output from another dtp application.
    John_Kallios@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Illustrator cs can't place dcs2.0 , why?
    Xenocrates@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Who said it cannot?

    It places dcs2 images as it did before and suffers the same caveats as before. It must remain linked and can only be output from Illustrator.

    If you are interested in getting spot raster in Illustrator CS, Check out this thread. <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128.2ccf18e7>
    John_Kallios@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Thanks,John,I see it~
    Xenocrates@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Red face Re: maintaining pantone colors from photoshop

    why in the 1st place u create a logo in PS? the image will be pixelated.... why don't u do in in Ai? filling colour will not be a hassle there...
    No 1.. Guest