Professional Web Applications Themes

Make entire SWF file a clickable link? - Adobe Flash, Flex & Director

Hello, I'm creating a banner for my web site and I'd like to make it so that you can simply click anywhere on the SWF file and be taken to the index page. I'm a beginner...as you've guessed from this question...and I've only found information about making buttons or particular elements in the movie as clickable links. Nothing about making the whole file clickable. Any pointers?...

  1. #1

    Default Make entire SWF file a clickable link?

    Zchildress webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Make entire SWF file a clickable link?

    1. make a new layer at the top.
    2. In that layer, draw a rectangle that covers the entire stage and convert it to a movieclip.
    3. right-click the rectangle and choose actions. Add this actionscript:
    on(release){
    getURL("whatever.swf","_self"); // or gotoAndPlay(index); or whatever....
    }
    4. Close the actions window.
    5. select the rectangle and in the properties inspector, choose the color down arrow and select alpha....drag the alpha slider to make it 0.
    6. publish the movie and entice people to click on your highly annoying banner (just kidding).

    pazzoboy webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    search forum for *invisible button* - very popular question.
    here's a link that will help:

    [url]http://webforums.macromedia.com/flash/messageview.cfm?catid=196&threadid=692868[/url]

    chris georgenes
    mudbubble.com
    Team Macromedia Volunteer for Flash
    search forum first - 90% of questions have been answered
    phatkow webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    "Invisible Button"...I'd never had guessed that name...thanks! And thanks for the instructions pazzoboy...I've followed your instructions and it's working fine now.

    One problem, when you mouseover it, the cursor doesn't change, so it's not apparent that it's a link.

    Zchildress webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  6. #6

    The link works fine, but the cursor doesn't change when testing...and it also doesn't uploaded to the site. Stays the same black arrow Mac pointer.

    Zchildress webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  8. #8

    Ooooo...embarrassing.

    Okay...but this is my first Flash project...so please excuse it being a tad cliché.

    Here 'tis.

    [url]http://webforums.macromedia.com/attachments/ww_banner_multi3.fla.zip[/url]

    Zchildress webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  9. #9

    what's to be embarrassed about - cool effect!

    the hand cursor works for me here (PC).
    i did notice your button has 0% alpha to make it invisible - I edited it by moving the shape to the HIT state only and removing the alpha effect entirely.

    I also took liberty to remove unecessary frames and tweens at the end of timeline - thereby saving you a whopping 1k

    [url]http://webforums.macromedia.com/attachments/ww_banner_multi4.zip[/url]

  10. #10

    Thanks, Chris!

    I've been comparing files...thanks for pointing out that I needed to remove the tween. I'll keep an eye out for that kind of file-bulking mistake in the future. I'm wondering if I should delete all the frames following the last keyframe in the "Tail2, Tail3, Tail4, and Tail5" layers since the base "Tail" layer will keep the logo visible? I'll give it a try. Not sure if that'll reduce the file size at all or not.

    As for deleting the alpha change and putting the button into the Hit state only...I've got a whole big tutorial coming up today on button-making. So, hopefully I'll understand that change after some learnin' today.

    One thing I can't figure out is "Layer 23"...what is that for?

    Zchildress webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  11. #11

    I'm wondering if I should delete all the frames following the last keyframe in the "Tail2, Tail3, Tail4, and Tail5" layers since the base "Tail" layer will keep the logo visible? I'll give it a try. Not sure if that'll reduce the file size at all or not.

    you could - wont reduce file size all that much (if at all). i would because i like a clean timeline personally.

    As for deleting the alpha change and putting the button into the Hit state only...I've got a whole big tutorial coming up today on button-making. So, hopefully I'll understand that change after some learnin' today.

    big question here is if your Mac cursor changes to a hand on rollOver (?)

    One thing I can't figure out is "Layer 23"...what is that for?

    it's just a stop(); action on last frame.

  12. #12

    <<big question here is if your Mac cursor changes to a hand on rollOver (?)>>

    Yes...the hand cursor appears now.

    Ah...a stop action...I see. I'm kind of torn right now. I'm the type who likes very subtle animation...but I live in Asia, the land of flashing things. Some of the people here who have looked at it like it, but they want it to loop (and more frequently than it is now). I'd prefer to play it once and stop. So, I'll probably have to compromise by having it loop, but only every 8 to 10 seconds or so.

    You've been a big help, Chris. Thanks!

    Zchildress webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest