Professional Web Applications Themes

Make new pages or only edit pages? - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

A client asked me to update his site, adding a new link to all pages and adding several new pages. He told me that the original developer of the site used Contribute or set up the site for him to edit using Contribute. My question is, do I need Contribute to both edit and add pages to the client's site or can I use Dreamweaver? I'm not a Contribute user, never tried it so I'd prefer to stay out of another software if possible. Do I need to use Contribute so that the client can make future changes in Contribute ...

  1. #1

    Default Make new pages or only edit pages?

    A client asked me to update his site, adding a new link to all pages and adding
    several new pages. He told me that the original developer of the site used
    Contribute or set up the site for him to edit using Contribute.

    My question is, do I need Contribute to both edit and add pages to the
    client's site or can I use Dreamweaver?
    I'm not a Contribute user, never tried it so I'd prefer to stay out of another
    software if possible.

    Do I need to use Contribute so that the client can make future changes in
    Contribute or can I stay with Dreamweaver?

    Thanks for your time and patience.

    Michael

    Hanek Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Make new pages or only edit pages?

    >A client asked me to update his site, adding a new link to all pages and
    >adding
    > several new pages. He told me that the original developer of the site used
    > Contribute or set up the site for him to edit using Contribute.
    >
    > My question is, do I need Contribute to both edit and add pages to the
    > client's site or can I use Dreamweaver?
    > I'm not a Contribute user, never tried it so I'd prefer to stay out of
    > another
    > software if possible.
    >
    > Do I need to use Contribute so that the client can make future changes in
    > Contribute or can I stay with Dreamweaver?
    Hi Michael,

    As long as your client has supplied you with the relevant usernames and
    passwords (for both FTP & Contribute) you should be able to use Dreamweaver
    with no problems. You may run into problems if the template isn't available,
    but even then you should be able to do what you want to do.

    Regards,

    Bruce

    Atomic Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks Bruce. I'll try it out.
    Hanek Guest

  4. #4

    Hanek wrote:
    > A client asked me to update his site, adding a new link to all pages and adding
    > several new pages. He told me that the original developer of the site used
    > Contribute or set up the site for him to edit using Contribute.
    >
    > My question is, do I need Contribute to both edit and add pages to the
    > client's site or can I use Dreamweaver?
    > I'm not a Contribute user, never tried it so I'd prefer to stay out of another
    > software if possible.
    >
    > Do I need to use Contribute so that the client can make future changes in
    > Contribute or can I stay with Dreamweaver?
    >
    > Thanks for your time and patience.
    >
    > Michael

    Contribute can also connect to your clients site (given the site
    authentication details like FTP / SFTP / WebDAV etc)... Contribute can
    as well edit and publish the pages... I would say dreamweaver is for
    people who are HTML SAVVY and Contribute is for Normal users who want to
    do everything to their level using the User Interfaces instead of
    looking into HTML CODE!!
    Arun Kumar M Guest