Professional Web Applications Themes

make page fit browser - HTML & CSS

whats the code to make my page automatically fit the users browser window. and center the content? this is simple but im not very good with code. any help will be greatly appreciated continued...

  1. #1

    Default make page fit browser

    whats the code to make my page automatically fit the users browser window. and center the content?
    this is simple but im not very good with code. any help will be greatly appreciated
    jroberts_2007 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: make page fit browser

    jroberts_2007 I'm a newie and been trying to solve same problem. Lets hope someone can help
    fishface9876 Guest

  3. #3

    Do you have an example of the page your working on available? The specific code
    is hard to state if we don't have a little more info.

    Do you want an effect like that of the Macromedia forums (the page your
    reading this on?) How if the browser is wider than the content, the content is
    grouped in a box with a set width and is always centered if you resize the
    browser widths?

    Or do you just want text and images centered on the page and going all the way
    to the edge of the browser window?

    johnrkofonow Guest

  4. #4

    John thx for reply ....I personally would like to see how to make it look like
    that of the Macromedia forums. I checked your site and would like it on the
    lines of FlagSlam Poetry site for what I have in mind it would be slightly
    wider. I liked the neatness of it very much. Sorry for dely been away.:gift;

    fishface9876 Guest

  5. #5

    Hi,

    I feel there are two different solutions for your question.

    1) If you put 100% for the top most table then in what ever resolution you
    see the web page will fit to that browser.

    The example for this page can be see at :
    [url]http://www.laksinu.com/outbox/resolution/percentage.html[/url]

    2) Or you should define the table width in pixels say for 800 * 600 res place
    a table with width 778 px ( 2 px can be left for scroll bat) and center align
    the table then the page will look like macromedia forms page when u are
    viewing the page greater than 800 * 600

    The example for this page can be see at :
    [url]http://www.laksinu.com/outbox/resolution/pixel.html[/url]

    Please let me know did this help you or not ?

    -laksinu

    laksinu Guest

  6. #6

    HI laksinu and thx very much for advice and help. Lets move my learning curve
    I on ( if you don't mind) having done the 100% for the main table how can I set
    the cell widths within the table so that they don't change when entering text
    (pasting from Word). When I enter images I have control but text seems less
    controlled and spreads our more than I've ask???
    many thx in anticipation to anyone else willing to help also.

    fishface9876 Guest

  7. #7

    you're welcome,

    basically you can do that by giving % to the inner tables like if you have left panel you can give 20 % and 80 % of the body text. so it will be flexiable for any resolutions.
    laksinu Guest

  8. #8

    Psst - resolution has nothing to do with anything other than the maximum
    practical browser viewport width....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "laksinu" <laksinu@laksinu.com> wrote in message
    > you're welcome,
    >
    > basically you can do that by giving % to the inner tables like if you
    > have left panel you can give 20 % and 80 % of the body text. so it will be
    > flexiable for any resolutions.

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  9. #9

    hmmmm. tables rear their ugly heads again. john rolls up his sleeves and
    unholsters some linkified six shooters.

    If you're using tables, good luck. There is an easier way though if you'd
    like. Less code, easier to change design/layout. And the getting started work
    has already been done for you.

    I started learning about CSS based layouts from online resources. Take a look
    at [url]http://www.bluerobot.com/web/layouts/[/url]. Specifically the One-box centered
    design on noodleincident and the Auto-width Margins link on bluerobot.

    johnrkofonow Guest

  10. #10

    First let me thank all who have adviced and helped on this topic. As a "NEWIE"
    I am impressed with the help given. Now back to the subject. I was laying in
    bed one morning, as you do, and was thinking about keeping text from spreading
    out in table cells and effecting the width, and recalled a transparent image
    say 250x1px placed in each collum. Would this act as a controlling element
    when pasting text into cells?. There is a name for these images, is it spacers
    and is this their role?

    fishface9876 Guest

  11. #11

    I am working on a site where page content can range from 1 paragraph to upwards
    of 10. I would like to find a way to dynamically place my footer links at the
    bottom of the browser window so that on shorter pages it buffers whitespace and
    neatly places the footer at the bottom every time and does not get a jumpy feel
    as you browse around. Is there a CSS method, or dynamic method to do this?

    Thanks!

    StuTalon Guest

  12. #12

    > Is there a CSS method, or dynamic method to do this?

    No. Not really. The problem is that if the page's content ends at the
    middle of the vertical expanse of the browser viewport, you would have to
    make the footer 'jump out' of that content and find the bottom of the screen
    somehow. This would mean it would have to be absolutely positioned, but
    absolute positioning is not done dynamically. You would need javascript to
    make that happen.

    However, investigate the Layout Designer extension from PVII and see if that
    would work for you - [url]http://www.projectseven.com/[/url].

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "StuTalon" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
    >I am working on a site where page content can range from 1 paragraph to
    >upwards
    > of 10. I would like to find a way to dynamically place my footer links at
    > the
    > bottom of the browser window so that on shorter pages it buffers
    > whitespace and
    > neatly places the footer at the bottom every time and does not get a jumpy
    > feel
    > as you browse around. Is there a CSS method, or dynamic method to do this?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Murray *TMM* Guest