Professional Web Applications Themes

making a castmember move x,y - Macromedia Director Lingo

I want to run a function to move a castmember, I work in Flash and aren't so clued up in Director, What I want to do is have a button on a menu, which is sunken down, and when you click it it slides up into view. Can I use functions in Lingo?? Can I refer to a cast-member's x and y coords like in Flash? like: MyMember._x += 5; or does it work with V and H? Thanks for any help...

  1. #1

    Default making a castmember move x,y

    ShaolinWood webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Never mind

    OK, that's quite simple.
    But how do you define a variable?
    like if you want to state: worldDomination = true;

    And then later on have some code:

    if world domination = true then quit
    end if

    or some like that...

    ShaolinWood webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Never mind

    That's exactly how you do it. You'll have to declare the property
    though. if you only ever reference it from the one script then at the
    top of that script, outwith any of the handlers, add:

    property worldDomination

    if you want to use it between several scripts just add the following
    to each script that will reference it (again outwith any of the
    handlers):

    global worldDomination

    hope that helps,

    richie

    On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:12:19 +0000 (UTC), "ShaolinWood"
    [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    >OK, that's quite simple.
    >But how do you define a variable?
    >like if you want to state: worldDomination = true;
    >
    >And then later on have some code:
    >
    >if world domination = true then quit
    >end if
    >
    >or some like that...

    Richie Bisset Guest

  4. #4

    Default Thanks man

    That will definitely help.
    thanks for the reply
    Njoy

    ShaolinWood webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: making a castmember move x,y

    A cast member is the original asset and resides in the cast. Any
    instance of a member on the stage is a sprite. It's the sprite that you
    want to animate.

    Yes, Director has functions. The verticle component of a sprite's
    location, it's loc, is the locV property.

    All of this information, as well as many other interesting facts about
    Director, are conveniently located in the Director Help section of the
    Help Menu. You might also want to wander through some of the tutorials.
    You may also find some useful information there.

    --
    Rob
    _______

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/software/trial/[/url]
    Rob Dillon Guest

  6. #6

    > All of this information, as well as many other interesting facts about
    > Director, are conveniently located in the Director Help section of the
    > Help Menu. You might also want to wander through some of the tutorials.
    > You may also find some useful information there.
    >
    > --
    > Rob
    Sometimes I really wonder how people can want to achieve anything using
    Director without even having one single look at the manual or _at least_ at
    the online help?! If you are a somehow experienced programmer, you can go
    ahead and try things out in Director, but if you don't even know how a
    variable is declared, then that's the best time to read about the
    fundamentals of your new programming environment... (let's call Director a
    programming environment, in this case ;-) )

    L.S.

    Loren Schwarz Guest