Professional Web Applications Themes

Making an audio CD from Ogg files -- How? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I've been trying to do this for a while... I've ripped a lot of my CDs, and would like to burn some of them back to CD to have the CD player in the living room display the track titles (CD Text). I've tried ERoaster, GCombust and Gnome-Toaster, without much success... At best, gnome-Toaster gives me the Ogg files on the disc, instead of an audio CD from the Ogg files. At worst, I get no results at all... If I've understood the mechanism correctly, the front-end program uses some program like ogg123 to convert from Ogg files -> wav ...

  1. #1

    Default Making an audio CD from Ogg files -- How?

    I've been trying to do this for a while...

    I've ripped a lot of my CDs, and would like to burn some of them back to
    CD to have the CD player in the living room display the track titles (CD
    Text).

    I've tried ERoaster, GCombust and Gnome-Toaster, without much success...

    At best, gnome-Toaster gives me the Ogg files on the disc, instead of an
    audio CD from the Ogg files.

    At worst, I get no results at all...

    If I've understood the mechanism correctly, the front-end program uses
    some program like ogg123 to convert from Ogg files -> wav or raw files,
    which then get converted to cdda data when writing to the CD.

    Is there some way I can do this through the command line, to check that I
    have all the basic components?

    Thanks in advance for any help,

    Keith.
    Keith Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Making an audio CD from Ogg files -- How?

    Hello

    Keith (<zz>) wrote:

    From the ogg123 man page:

    -d device, --device device
    Specify output device

    -f filename, --file filename
    Specify output file for file devices. The filename "-"
    writes to standard out. If the file already exists,
    ogg123 will overwrite it.

    wav WAV file output. Writes the sound data to disk in uncompressed
    form. If multiple files are played, all of them will be concate
    nated into the same WAV file. WAV files cannot be written to
    unseekable files, such as standard out. Use the AU format
    instead.

    Just play the files with ogg123, set your output to wav. Then use some
    program to write them to CD as audio tracks. By the way, xmms also has
    a diskwriter output plugin that you can use to generate wav files from
    your ogg or mp3 files.

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    com

  3. #3

    Keith <zz> wrote:

    You can still use the orig. CD to make a copy.

    Try
    man sox

    --
    Michael Heiming

    inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM
    Michael Guest

  4. #4

    Keith wrote:

    I use Gnome-Toaster all the time to write ogg file to an audio CD
    Just click the Big blue "T" and then drag the ogg file into there and presto
    chango Gnoem-Toaster will decode the ogg to CDA.

    You may need to fetch oggtst, Gnome-Toaster will tell you is you will need
    to, just follow the instrucsions

    Baho Guest

  5. #5

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 00:01:01 +0000, Baho Utot wrote:

    > I use Gnome-Toaster all the time to write ogg file to an audio CD
    > Just click the Big blue "T" and then drag the ogg file into there and presto
    > chango Gnoem-Toaster will decode the ogg to CDA.
    >
    > You may need to fetch oggtst, Gnome-Toaster will tell you is you will need
    > to, just follow the instrucsions[/ref]

    That looks like the problem, thanks for the hint!

    Gnome-Tosater tells me this:
    WARNING: Track 1: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    WARNING: Track 2: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    WARNING: Track 3: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    WARNING: Track 4: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    WARNING: Track 5: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    WARNING: Track 6: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    WARNING: Track 7: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    WARNING: Track 8: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    WARNING: Track 9: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    WARNING: Track 10: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    WARNING: Track 11: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    WARNING: Track 12: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    WARNING: Track 13: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    ERROR: The toc check function detected at least one warning.
    ERROR: If you record this toc the resulting CD might be unusable
    ERROR: or the recording process might abort with error.
    ERROR: Use option --force to ignore the warnings.
    ERROR: Toc file "/mnt/vol1/tocfileiRz3QI" is inconsistent.

    Child exited unexpectedly.
    CD recording process finished.

    and refuses to write to the CD...

    I've had a look round, and can't find anything called oggtst on my system
    (Mandrake 9)... None of the packages seem to contain this file :-(

    Keith.
    Keith Guest

  6. #6

    Keith wrote:

    >> I use Gnome-Toaster all the time to write ogg file to an audio CD
    >> Just click the Big blue "T" and then drag the ogg file into there and
    >> presto chango Gnoem-Toaster will decode the ogg to CDA.
    >>
    >> You may need to fetch oggtst, Gnome-Toaster will tell you is you will
    >> need to, just follow the instrucsions[/ref]
    >
    > That looks like the problem, thanks for the hint!
    >
    > Gnome-Tosater tells me this:
    > WARNING: Track 1: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    > WARNING: Track 2: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    > WARNING: Track 3: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    > WARNING: Track 4: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    > WARNING: Track 5: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    > WARNING: Track 6: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    > WARNING: Track 7: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    > WARNING: Track 8: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    > WARNING: Track 9: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    > WARNING: Track 10: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    > WARNING: Track 11: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    > WARNING: Track 12: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    > WARNING: Track 13: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    > ERROR: The toc check function detected at least one warning.
    > ERROR: If you record this toc the resulting CD might be unusable
    > ERROR: or the recording process might abort with error.
    > ERROR: Use option --force to ignore the warnings.
    > ERROR: Toc file "/mnt/vol1/tocfileiRz3QI" is inconsistent.
    >
    > Child exited unexpectedly.
    > CD recording process finished.
    >

    > and refuses to write to the CD...
    >
    > I've had a look round, and can't find anything called oggtst on my system
    > (Mandrake 9)... None of the packages seem to contain this file :-(
    >

    > Keith.[/ref]

    www.google.com is your friend.

    Baho Guest

  7. #7

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 00:00:43 +0000, Baho Utot wrote:

    >> That looks like the problem, thanks for the hint!
    >>
    >> Gnome-Tosater tells me this:
    >> WARNING: Track 1: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    >> WARNING: Track 2: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    >> WARNING: Track 3: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    >> WARNING: Track 4: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    >> WARNING: Track 5: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    >> WARNING: Track 6: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    >> WARNING: Track 7: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    >> WARNING: Track 8: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    >> WARNING: Track 9: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    >> WARNING: Track 10: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    >> WARNING: Track 11: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    >> WARNING: Track 12: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    >> WARNING: Track 13: Length is shorter than 4 seconds.
    >> ERROR: The toc check function detected at least one warning.
    >> ERROR: If you record this toc the resulting CD might be unusable
    >> ERROR: or the recording process might abort with error.
    >> ERROR: Use option --force to ignore the warnings.
    >> ERROR: Toc file "/mnt/vol1/tocfileiRz3QI" is inconsistent.
    >>
    >> Child exited unexpectedly.
    >> CD recording process finished.
    >>

    >> and refuses to write to the CD...
    >>
    >> I've had a look round, and can't find anything called oggtst on my system
    >> (Mandrake 9)... None of the packages seem to contain this file :-(
    >>

    >> Keith.[/ref]
    >
    > www.google.com is your friend.[/ref]

    You're right, now that I know about oggtst (thanks for that), I've been
    able to find a thread about gnome-toaster that explains the problem. But
    before having the name oggtst, I didn't quite know what I should have been
    looking for. A simple search for "CD burning linux audio" turned up too
    many results...

    I fixed it by using the advice from Andreas,
    (mange tack/takk so mycket, Andreas).

    I converted the tracks I wanted to burn back to WAV format, then
    Gnome-Toaster was able to brn the disc, and I got CD Text on the front
    panel of my lounge CD player.

    Keith.
    Keith Guest

  8. #8

    Keith wrote:

    [snip]

    Ah, but Gnome-Toaster will burn the ogg file directly with no need to
    convert to wav. Gnome-Toaster itself will convert the ogg to wav then burn
    it to disc, that's the way it works.

    Baho Guest

  9. #9

    Baho Utot <org> wrote in message news:<philippines-island.org>...

    > Ah, but Gnome-Toaster will burn the ogg file directly with no need to
    > convert to wav. Gnome-Toaster itself will convert the ogg to wav then burn
    > it to disc, that's the way it works.[/ref]

    You're right, it should do this, *if I have oggtst*. I don't.
    I downloaded the source code RPM, but there were broken links,
    wouldn't make, and in anycase, I converted to WAV and burned the CD
    quickly enough.

    Keith.
    Keith Guest