Professional Web Applications Themes

making freebsd known to the world - FreeBSD

Hello, Maybe this is the wrong list for this, but why is FreeBSD never listed on websites of third party applications like firefox? In this directory I can't find a FreeBSD package for example. http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.0.1/contrib/ I know the ports/packages system works great, so the freebsd user doesn't need it, but wouldn't it be good for publicity? Greetings, Ronald. -- Ronald Klop, Amsterdam, The Netherlands...

  1. #1

    Default making freebsd known to the world

    --
    Ronald Klop, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ronald Guest

  2. #2

    Default RE: making freebsd known to the world

    org wrote:

    It is, you need to go to freebsd-advocacy

    Have you ever built firefox? It requires about 28 ports or so that
    are not in the base FreeBSD install, at least for version 4.11, and
    that is for the native version of it. And many of these are GPL
    so you are just adding trouble for BSD users who need a system they
    can use as a base for a commercial product - the last thing they want
    to discover is their app linked into some GPL library.

    If the Linux distributors want to bloat their base systems for every
    3rd party application that comes along that is fine.

    It would. But why are you asking us, ask the Mozilla people why they
    haven't at least put up a link saying firefox is available in the ports
    directories.

    Ted
    Ted Guest

  3. #3

    * Ted Mittelstaedt [2005-03-31 01:45 -0800]

    > Have you ever built firefox? It requires about 28 ports or so that
    > are not in the base FreeBSD install, at least for version 4.11, and
    > that is for the native version of it. And many of these are GPL
    > so you are just adding trouble for BSD users who need a system they
    > can use as a base for a commercial product - the last thing they want
    > to discover is their app linked into some GPL library.
    >
    > If the Linux distributors want to bloat their base systems for every
    > 3rd party application that comes along that is fine.[/ref]

    I think you misunderstood. Noone is asking to add firefox (or any other
    third-party application) to the base system. I think the OP is asking the
    FreeBSD community to put some pressure on third-party vendors to make
    freebsd-packages available on their websites. This way the word "FreeBSD"
    would be mentioned and hopefully noticed.

    To the OP, I can only say that I might agree, but this is really up to the
    vensors if they see it profitable or otherwise advantegous to do so. Opera
    for instance, are marketing their support for FreeBSD.

    However, I stand by Ted's advice to ask this in the advocacy mailing list.

    Svein Halvor
    Svein Guest

  4. #4

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:42:52 +0200 (CEST), Svein Halvor Halvorsen
    <net> wrote:

    >> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.0.1/contrib/
    >>
    >> Have you ever built firefox? It requires about 28 ports or so that
    >> are not in the base FreeBSD install, at least for version 4.11, and
    >> that is for the native version of it. And many of these are GPL
    >> so you are just adding trouble for BSD users who need a system they
    >> can use as a base for a commercial product - the last thing they want
    >> to discover is their app linked into some GPL library.
    >>
    >> If the Linux distributors want to bloat their base systems for every
    >> 3rd party application that comes along that is fine.[/ref]
    >

    > I think you misunderstood. Noone is asking to add firefox (or any other
    > third-party application) to the base system. I think the OP is asking the
    > FreeBSD community to put some pressure on third-party vendors to make
    > freebsd-packages available on their websites. This way the word "FreeBSD"
    > would be mentioned and hopefully noticed.
    >
    > To the OP, I can only say that I might agree, but this is really up to
    > the
    > vensors if they see it profitable or otherwise advantegous to do so.
    > Opera
    > for instance, are marketing their support for FreeBSD.
    >
    > However, I stand by Ted's advice to ask this in the advocacy mailing
    > list.[/ref]

    I just mailed mozilla about it, but I don't expect an answer soon.
    I will ask this on freebsd-advocacy also.

    Ronald.

  5. #5

    org wrote: [/ref]
    > http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.0.1/contrib/
    >>
    >> Have you ever built firefox? It requires about 28 ports or so that
    >> are not in the base FreeBSD install, at least for version 4.11, and
    >> that is for the native version of it. And many of these are GPL
    >> so you are just adding trouble for BSD users who need a system they
    >> can use as a base for a commercial product - the last thing they
    >> want to discover is their app linked into some GPL library.
    >>
    >> If the Linux distributors want to bloat their base systems for every
    >> 3rd party application that comes along that is fine.[/ref]
    >

    > I think you misunderstood. Noone is asking to add firefox (or
    > any other
    > third-party application) to the base system. I think the OP is asking
    > the FreeBSD community to put some pressure on third-party vendors to
    > make freebsd-packages available on their websites. This way the
    > word "FreeBSD"
    > would be mentioned and hopefully noticed.
    >[/ref]

    I should have been more clear. I knew what the OP was suggesting,
    it is impractical though because you can't just compile firefox
    then package it up, then install the package and be done with it.
    Along with that package you would have to install a number of other
    packages. On other systems like Linux you don't have to install these
    since they are already part of the base Linux system.

    Ted
    Ted Guest