Professional Web Applications Themes

Making only the dark areas lighter? - Photography

Thanks - that is so cool! I've added it to my PhotoPaint 8 script I use to create images for my web site. Using a script ot process large numbers of images is the only way to go! Here's a snapshot of the dialog for mine: [url]http://www.SuperNaturalWoman.com/pmjimageconv.jpg[/url] Peter On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 11:15:37 -0400, "Aaron Bredon" <abredonbigfoot.com> wrote: >On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:52:37 +0000, Tony Whitaker wrote: >> [email]brunofc.hp.com[/email] (Bruno Melli) wrote in >> news:5QCOa.4133$BE.165news.cpqcorp.net: >> >>> Did you try Bill's suggestion ? >>> (Duplicate layer, set blend mode to screen, and move the opacity slider) >> >> ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Making only the dark areas lighter?

    <abredonbigfoot.com> wrote:
    >On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:52:37 +0000, Tony Whitaker wrote:
    >> [email]brunofc.hp.com[/email] (Bruno Melli) wrote in
    >>
    >>> Did you try Bill's suggestion ?
    >>> (Duplicate layer, set blend mode to screen, and move the opacity slider)
    >>
    >> Thanks for that info. That is quite easy to do, but it does affect the
    >> whole image. That's the problem I was having with all other things I tried
    >> that didn't require selecting an area of the image. It seems that if you
    >> use a tool that works on the whole image, and you try to lighten the dark
    >> parts, there's no way to leave the bright parts entirely untouched.
    >
    >Try this:
    >Duplicate the layer. Invert and apply a large-radius Gaussian blur to the
    >duplicate layer. Set the blend mode to Overlay. This technique will only
    >brighten when the inverted image is brighter than the original, so it will
    >only lighten the darker parts of the image.
    >
    >see these web pages for more details and tips:
    >[url]http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/contrast_masking.shtml[/url]
    >[url]http://www.outbackphoto.com/workshop/photoshop_corner/essay_06/essay.html[/url]
    >[url]http://members.lycos.co.uk/insanityphotos/tnt.htm[/url]
    Digital Photography Reference
    [url]http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/PJDigPhot.htm[/url]
    Touchup, an image viewing applet (also shows EXIF)
    [url]http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/software.htm[/url]
    Health, happiness and healing
    [url]http://www.SuperNaturalWoman.com[/url]
    Peter Jones Guest

  2. #2

    Stephen Barr <stephenbarrntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Not sure how to define my problem so I'm not having much luck with the
    > 'help' files.
    > I'm new to image processing and using ACDSee5.0 and also PSP5 and,
    > apparently, not a very good photographer.
    >
    > If I have a figure in the foreground who is underexposed owing to a large
    > area of sunny sky or sea in the background is there any way to lighten the
    > foreground character without bleaching out the background?

    > Thank you.

    Get PhotoShop and use the burn/dodge tool. Burn for darkening areas, dodge
    for brightening.

    Patrick

    Patrick L. Guest

  3. #3

    Frankhartx <frankhartxcs.com> wrote in message
    > >From: "Stephen Barr" [email]stephenbarrntlworld.com[/email]
    >
    > >Not sure how to define my problem so I'm not having much luck with the
    > >'help' files.
    > >I'm new to image processing and using ACDSee5.0 and also PSP5 and,
    > >apparently, not a very good photographer.
    >
    > Use your dodge tool in PSP

    PSP 5 has a dodge tool?

    Patrick Lockwood

    Patrick L. Guest

  4. #4

    Get thee PhotoShop, it has a burn/dodge tool.

    Patrick Lockwood

    Tony Whitaker <newsgroupst_o_n_y_whitaker.com> wrote in message
    news:Xns93B1C50221DEFnewsgroupstonywhitak198.99.1 46.10...
    > "Stephen Barr" <stephenbarrntlworld.com> wrote in news:bebi64$34dhr$1ID-
    > 159214.news.dfncis.de:
    >
    > > is there any way to lighten the
    > > foreground character without bleaching out the background
    >
    > I was just working on that problem Saturday with PSP7. I tried every tool
    > could think of that would apply to the entire image - like the "Gamma
    > Correction" tool, and the "Levels" tool. But these tools would affect the
    > light part of the image slightly but noticeably, and I really didn't want
    > to change that.
    >
    > I finally figured out that if I selected the dark area with the "Freehand"
    > selection tool (looks like a lassoo) using the point-to-point option with
    > 10 pixel feathered edge to draw the boundary, it works beautifully. It's
    > very tedious, and you have to think carefully about how to draw your
    > selection boundary when you get into areas of intricate detail, but I was
    > very happy with the results. After you draw you boundary, you can use the
    > contrast/brightness tool, and only the selection will be affected.
    >
    > Here's one example: [url]http://www.mindspring.com/~focalfire/Foreground.jpg[/url]
    >
    > BTW, I also tried to save my divide .psp file in layers, and that didn't
    > work as well. The resulting image looks OK, but there's a colored halo at
    > the boundary between the layers. This halo adopts the color of the eraser
    > tool. At first, I had my eraser tool set to color yellow, which resulted
    in
    > a glowing yellow halo at the light/dark boundary. If you change the eraser
    > to a shade of gray, you can get very good results, but I couldn't get it
    > look as good as if I kept everything on the same layer.

    Patrick L. Guest

  5. #5

    "Aaron Bredon" <abredonbigfoot.com> wrote in
    > see these web pages for more details and tips:
    > [url]http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/contrast_masking.shtml[/url]
    > [url]http://www.outbackphoto.com/workshop/photoshop_corner/essay_06/essay.html[/url]
    > [url]http://members.lycos.co.uk/insanityphotos/tnt.htm[/url]
    Excellent. Thanks for those links. That gives me some work to try.
    Tony Whitaker Guest

  6. #6

    "Patrick L." <niceworkifyoucangetit.com> wrote in
    news:3rRPa.96478$Io.8326821newsread2.prod.itd.ear thlink.net:
    > Get PhotoShop and use the burn/dodge tool. Burn for darkening areas,
    > dodge for brightening.
    I don't know about PSP5, but PSP7 has a dodge tool. It's an option for the
    "Retouch" tool (looks like a hand with the index finger sticking out and
    pointing downward). It's very tricky to use, though. It works basically
    like the airbrush tool, except that, instead of paint, it shoots
    brightness. The problem is getting an even brightnes everywhere without any
    salt-and-pepper look.

    I don't like it. Or am I doing something wrong?
    Tony Whitaker Guest

  7. #7

    In PSP7:

    Colors>>Histogram Functions.

    It is very possible, through manipulations of the histogram curve, to
    boost/cut
    specific dark/mid/light areas of the image with this tool.

    Just experiment with it, it's not as complex as it first would seem.

    Be sure to play with a COPY of the image, not the original.

    "Tony Whitaker" <newsgroupst_o_n_y_whitaker.com> wrote in message
    news:Xns93B682EE7F954newsgroupstonywhitak198.99.1 46.10...
    > "Aaron Bredon" <abredonbigfoot.com> wrote in
    >
    > > see these web pages for more details and tips:
    > > [url]http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/contrast_masking.shtml[/url]

    [url]http://www.outbackphoto.com/workshop/photoshop_corner/essay_06/essay.html[/url]
    > > [url]http://members.lycos.co.uk/insanityphotos/tnt.htm[/url]
    >
    > Excellent. Thanks for those links. That gives me some work to try.

    Vance Green Guest

  8. #8

    Tony Whitaker wrote:
    > "Patrick L." <niceworkifyoucangetit.com> wrote in
    > news:3rRPa.96478$Io.8326821newsread2.prod.itd.ear thlink.net:
    >
    >>Get PhotoShop and use the burn/dodge tool. Burn for darkening areas,
    >>dodge for brightening.
    >

    > I don't know about PSP5, but PSP7 has a dodge tool. It's an option for the
    > "Retouch" tool (looks like a hand with the index finger sticking out and
    > pointing downward). It's very tricky to use, though. It works basically
    > like the airbrush tool, except that, instead of paint, it shoots
    > brightness. The problem is getting an even brightnes everywhere without any
    > salt-and-pepper look.
    >
    > I don't like it. Or am I doing something wrong?
    Try this:

    1) Layers -> Duplicate

    This creates a copy on top of the background image.

    2) Properties -> Blend Mode (Dodge)

    Thaaat's not gonna be pretty. Back off on the ...

    3) Properties -> Opacity (XX%)

    Now, take a big soft eraser tool to the image and wipe away the areas
    that you didn't want lightened to begin with.

    This procedure, or variations of it, has always provided a better
    control for me than using the dodge tool directly on the image.

    Corry
    [url]http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net[/url]

    -Albert Einstein

    Unclaimed Mysteries Guest

  9. #9

    Tony Whitaker <newsgroupst_o_n_y_whitaker.com> wrote in message
    news:Xns93B684B1EA7E2newsgroupstonywhitak198.99.1 46.10...
    > "Patrick L." <niceworkifyoucangetit.com> wrote in
    > news:3rRPa.96478$Io.8326821newsread2.prod.itd.ear thlink.net:
    > > Get PhotoShop and use the burn/dodge tool. Burn for darkening areas,
    > > dodge for brightening.
    >
    > I don't know about PSP5, but PSP7 has a dodge tool. It's an option for the
    > "Retouch" tool (looks like a hand with the index finger sticking out and
    > pointing downward). It's very tricky to use, though. It works basically
    > like the airbrush tool, except that, instead of paint, it shoots
    > brightness. The problem is getting an even brightnes everywhere without
    any
    > salt-and-pepper look.
    >
    > I don't like it. Or am I doing something wrong?

    Yeah, I have PSP 7, and its dodge/burn function s compared to
    PhotoShop's.

    Patrick

    Patrick L. Guest