Professional Web Applications Themes

Making specific frames grayscale - Adobe Indesign Windows

I am using the Adobe CS2 Premium suite and have a question. Is there a way to have specific frames display their contents as a grayscale image? The frames contain Illustrator vector drawings brought in using the Bridge. It would be great if I could just tell the frame to display the image as a grayscale picture rather than having to save every Illustrator file in both color and grayscale. (I have a couple thousand pictures, so that would be a pain!) Any help would be very much appreciated!...

  1. #1

    Default Making specific frames grayscale

    mclark7453@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Making specific frames grayscale

    No. But artwork can be PDFed, and within Acrobat, you can convert the color graphic to grayscale. Look to Tools > Print Production > Convert Colors.

    OTOH, you could make a black-filled box (or any gray tint percentage)over the graphic, and set the frame to transparency blend mode of saturation. The picture will appear to be grayscale.

    Mike Witherell in Washington DC
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

  3. #3

    Mike,

    Very interesting answer. I'm not clear from the original post, and I don't seem to have Pagemaker installed on this workstation to check, but I sort of seem to recall that you could actually set an image to output to grayscale, not just display, but I could be very wrong on that.

    I tried your suggestion to see what would happen. First problem is that if you have a transparent background, as would be common with vector art, that portion of the image frame now displays as your darkest shade of gray unless you turn the tint down to 0% or use "Paper" instead.

    The second problem, or maybe problem is not the appropriate word, but rather aspect, is that this is affecting only the display of the image and has no effect on the output. Actually that isn't completely true -- if you set the tint to anything less than 100% (or use Paper) you wind up removing any spot colors completely. It doesn't appear to have any affect at all on CMYK components.

    Quark has an image adjustment feature that allows you to desaturate raster, but not vector, art so it displays as grayscale. It also appears to output the image as "rich grayscale", ie the cmy values are changed to be identical to each other so the output appears as gray even though it is still four colors.

    Maybe the OP will come back and tell us what he or she is hoping to accomplish.

    Peter
    Peter_Spier@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks so much for the input. Let me try and better explain my situation to you. I am making 2 page worksheets, for lack of a better term, each week. The worksheet template has about 60 small frames that will contain different pictures each week. These pictures (vector artwork created in Illustrator) need to be printed in grayscale. This would be no problem if that was all the page had on it, but the page also has different colored backgrounds grouping the pictures into specific categories, so I can't print out the doent into a black and white PDF. Make sense? The pictures I am using need to be in color for other applications, but for this single page they need to be grayscale. It just seems like a waste of disk space to save each Illustrator picture in both color and grayscale.

    I did try using the transparency box, and that did work to some extent. The only problem is that on some pictures it blended similar colors together into the same shade of gray. I played with some of the settings, but couldn't get the proper contrast. Unfortunately, it seems that this is the only solution for my problem, so I guess I'll just have to manually save every pic unless someone can think of another solution. I appreciate all the help you have given!

    Thanks!
    Michael
    mclark7453@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Michael,

    Did you actually try to print a page after trying the transparency trick?

    When I just did a sample with two illustrator files, one spot color and one cmyk, I got the following results:

    If the box is black 100% opacity, blend mode saturation, everything prints in color as if the box weren't there, except where the box covers areas without color it prints black.

    If the box is paper, spot colors do not print and cmyk colors print as an ugly brown, probably because they don't have a K component (although ID seems to have added a component for each of the missing cmy channels in the colors that were missing them -- I used a logo that started life as a pure red, green, blue and yellow) in the particular file I chose. This is not quite what I expected, but still is not terribly useful.

    I'm wondering why you don't want to print the images in color if you are printing other parts of the page in color? Vector files being generally small, it doesn't seem like a huge space burden to save a grayscale version, although the time would be an issue.

  6. #6

    Notice my first answer was no, after all.
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

  7. #7

    Mike,

    Notice my first answer was no, after all.

    That question about trying to print was addressed to Michael Clark, the OP. But perhaps you only meant that there are problems with trying to fake it.

  8. #8

    Exactly so. BTW, do you or anyone remember how to change Illy art to grayscale from within Illustrator?

  9. #9

    filter>colors>convert to grayscale.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  10. #10

    Aha! Thanks so much Bob. It seems my brain can't remember so many thoughts.

    Best to you,

    Mike Witherell
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

  11. #11

    "Gradients and patterns will not be converted."

    So says Illy CS2 when I run the filter > colors > convert to grayscale.

    What do you think, Bob, any work around there?

    Mike
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

  12. #12

    Beats me. I'm not a real Illy expert. I'm just getting comfortable with
    it after a lot of years of using CorelDRAW as my main vector program.

    Best to check in the Illy forum.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  13. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Peter_Spier@adobeforums.com Guest
    Moderated Post

  14. #14

    any work around there

    If you don't need to preserve vector capabilities, open it in Photoshop and convert it to grayscale.
    Stu_Bloom_x@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Yes, that is a work around, alright, Stu. Wish it could be a vector work-around, tho.

    Mike Witherell
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest