Professional Web Applications Themes

Manage Extensions question - Macromedia Dreamweaver

If I open up a site and disable some extensions that I know I won't be using, are they disabled everywhere? Is there anyway of disabling extensions for one site but enabling them for another? Lastly, how much of a performance hit to the extensions make on a system? (this box is a duron 1700+ with 1.5gb of memory)....

  1. #1

    Default Manage Extensions question

    If I open up a site and disable some extensions that I know I won't be
    using, are they disabled everywhere? Is there anyway of disabling extensions
    for one site but enabling them for another? Lastly, how much of a
    performance hit to the extensions make on a system? (this box is a duron
    1700+ with 1.5gb of memory).

    rickm Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Manage Extensions question

    rickm wrote:
    > If I open up a site and disable some extensions that I know I won't be
    > using, are they disabled everywhere? Is there anyway of disabling extensions
    > for one site but enabling them for another? Lastly, how much of a
    > performance hit to the extensions make on a system? (this box is a duron
    > 1700+ with 1.5gb of memory).

    No, you can't have certain set-ups for certain sites. You need to
    enable/disable extensions and then re-boot DW to execute. Therefore,
    it's sometimes a good idea to launch the Extension manager prior to
    launching DW, enable the ones you think you'll need, and then boot DW.
    OTH: It sometimes takes so long time to disable/enable extension that I
    tend to keep most enabled all the time.
    AFAIK, extensions don't take much of RAM. Only they add to start-up
    time, some can actually add quite a lot.

    --
    Dan Vendel - *GOF*
    [url]http://www.vendel.info[/url]

    Dan Vendel *GOF* Guest

  3. #3

    "Dan Vendel *GOF*" <see_my_signature__the_bottom_of_the_post.com> wrote in
    message news:3F11D35E.40405_the_bottom_of_the_post.com...
    > rickm wrote:
    >
    > > If I open up a site and disable some extensions that I know I won't be
    > > using, are they disabled everywhere? Is there anyway of disabling
    extensions
    > > for one site but enabling them for another? Lastly, how much of a
    > > performance hit to the extensions make on a system? (this box is a duron
    > > 1700+ with 1.5gb of memory).
    > No, you can't have certain set-ups for certain sites. You need to
    > enable/disable extensions and then re-boot DW to execute. Therefore,
    > it's sometimes a good idea to launch the Extension manager prior to
    > launching DW, enable the ones you think you'll need, and then boot DW.
    > OTH: It sometimes takes so long time to disable/enable extension that I
    > tend to keep most enabled all the time.
    > AFAIK, extensions don't take much of RAM. Only they add to start-up
    > time, some can actually add quite a lot.
    Thanks, Dan. I forgot about the ability to load Extension Manager solo!

    rickm Guest

  4. #4

    Extensions make a big hit on DMX's execution/load time. If you have lots of
    extensions installed (be CAREFUL since there are many non-DMX compatible
    extensions out there), you would get a snappier and more responsive DMX by
    disabling those that are not often used.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "rickm" <castinthotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Dan Vendel *GOF*" <see_my_signature__the_bottom_of_the_post.com> wrote
    in
    > message news:3F11D35E.40405_the_bottom_of_the_post.com...
    > > rickm wrote:
    > >
    > > > If I open up a site and disable some extensions that I know I won't be
    > > > using, are they disabled everywhere? Is there anyway of disabling
    > extensions
    > > > for one site but enabling them for another? Lastly, how much of a
    > > > performance hit to the extensions make on a system? (this box is a
    duron
    > > > 1700+ with 1.5gb of memory).
    > > No, you can't have certain set-ups for certain sites. You need to
    > > enable/disable extensions and then re-boot DW to execute. Therefore,
    > > it's sometimes a good idea to launch the Extension manager prior to
    > > launching DW, enable the ones you think you'll need, and then boot DW.
    > > OTH: It sometimes takes so long time to disable/enable extension that I
    > > tend to keep most enabled all the time.
    > > AFAIK, extensions don't take much of RAM. Only they add to start-up
    > > time, some can actually add quite a lot.
    >
    > Thanks, Dan. I forgot about the ability to load Extension Manager solo!

    Murray *TMM* Guest