Professional Web Applications Themes

Managing bad sectors during install - FreeBSD

I have 2 small problems about installing FreeBSD. 1) My HDD is a 8,4 Gb quantum, which has 1 bad sector laying on it somewhere. I created ntfs partition on it, and format detected that sector, and marked as bad so there was no problem of data loss because writing to that sector. Now, if i fdisk the whole HDD to a freebsd slice, and divide it to partitions i get an error during filesystem creation, that a bad sector was detected. The system panics, and reboots after 15 sec. My question: why isnt the UFS able to mark this/these ...

  1. #1

    Default Managing bad sectors during install

    I have 2 small problems about installing FreeBSD.
    1) My HDD is a 8,4 Gb quantum, which has 1 bad sector laying on it
    somewhere. I created ntfs partition
    on it, and format detected that sector, and marked as bad so there was no
    problem of data loss because writing
    to that sector. Now, if i fdisk the whole HDD to a freebsd slice, and
    divide it to partitions i get an error during
    filesystem creation, that a bad sector was detected. The system panics, and
    reboots after 15 sec.
    My question: why isnt the UFS able to mark this/these sectors as bad, and
    simply not to use them?
    Throwing panic for one single bad sector is not an elegant way.

    2) My other smaller question: If i enabled SoftUpdates at install-time for "/"
    but changed my mind, how can i turn it off ? I cant unmount "/" to change it,
    because its always busy (the other partitions can be unmounted easily in
    single user)

    I think these are basic problems, and should be (especially turning OFF
    softupdate on "/") mentioned in handbook also.
    ricsip

    Pásztor Richárd Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Managing bad sectors during install

    Pásztor Richárd <ricsipmailbox.hu> writes:
    > I have 2 small problems about installing FreeBSD.
    > 1) My HDD is a 8,4 Gb quantum, which has 1 bad sector laying on it
    > somewhere. I created ntfs partition
    > on it, and format detected that sector, and marked as bad so there was
    > no problem of data loss because writing
    > to that sector. Now, if i fdisk the whole HDD to a freebsd slice, and
    > divide it to partitions i get an error during
    > filesystem creation, that a bad sector was detected. The system
    > panics, and reboots after 15 sec.
    > My question: why isnt the UFS able to mark this/these sectors as bad,
    > and simply not to use them?
    > Throwing panic for one single bad sector is not an elegant way.
    See the entry in the FreeBSD FAQ titled "What do I do when I have bad
    blocks on my hard drive?"

    The short answer, though, is that for years now, all drives can do
    internal remapping of bad sectors. The OS doesn't see any bad sectors
    until the internal remapping tables are full, which means that *many*
    sectors are bad, and disk failure is imminent.
    > 2) My other smaller question: If i enabled SoftUpdates at install-time for "/"
    > but changed my mind, how can i turn it off ? I cant unmount "/" to change it,
    > because its always busy (the other partitions can be unmounted easily
    > in single user)
    You should be able to mount it read-only and change it then, no?
    > I think these are basic problems, and should be (especially turning
    > OFF softupdate on "/") mentioned in handbook also.
    You can submit such changes as easily as anyone else...
    Lowell Gilbert Guest

  3. #3

    I think this 8,4 quantum is old enough to not contain so called "spare
    sectors". So 1 bad sector means there is really only 1 bad
    sector. Anyway i still cant understand, why UFS cant cope with bad blocks,
    but 1000 year old FAT, or the newer NTFS
    can easyli get through the problem.

    The other problem: how should i mount "/" read-only, because i always get
    "busy" error-message?

    ricsip

    Pásztor Richárd Guest

  4. #4

    On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 11:09:12PM +0100, P?sztor Rich?rd wrote:
    > I think this 8,4 quantum is old enough to not contain so called "spare
    > sectors". So 1 bad sector means there is really only 1 bad
    > sector. Anyway i still cant understand, why UFS cant cope with bad blocks,
    > but 1000 year old FAT, or the newer NTFS
    > can easyli get through the problem.
    There didn't seem to be a question there.
    > The other problem: how should i mount "/" read-only, because i always get
    > "busy" error-message?
    When you do what, exactly?

    Kris

    Kris Kennaway Guest