Professional Web Applications Themes

managing OS X clients with workgroup manager and OS 10.2 server - Mac Applications & Software

We recently migrated our server to 10.2 and have tried much to get OSX client management to work. In the admin guide, it seems as if they only have instructions for how to use workgroup manager, but not for setting up client machines. My question is, is there something specific we have to do to 'activate' client machines? I read that they search for a directory domain when they boot up, and if they find their mac address listed, they will boot up using those services. We have added the computers machine address and the client boots up normally. If ...

  1. #1

    Default managing OS X clients with workgroup manager and OS 10.2 server

    We recently migrated our server to 10.2 and have tried much to get OSX
    client management to work. In the admin guide, it seems as if they
    only have instructions for how to use workgroup manager, but not for
    setting up client machines.

    My question is, is there something specific we have to do to
    'activate' client machines? I read that they search for a directory
    domain when they boot up, and if they find their mac address listed,
    they will boot up using those services. We have added the computers
    machine address and the client boots up normally.

    If it is not a problem with the client, then perhaps it is a problem
    with the server. Do we have to turn on directory services on the
    server? Do we have to point the clients to the IP of the server?

    Any suggestions or references would be appreciated.
    Logan Guest

  2. #2

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Logan) wrote:

    It's rather simple, but hardly intuitive. The days of ASIP are gone.

    Note that I've only done this for an OS X server that has a static IP
    address, so if your server has and/or needs a dynamic IP address, all
    bets are off with these directions, but this is where you need to go in
    any event.

    On the client, open Directory Access (located in the
    Applications:Utilities folder). You'll need authenticate by clicking the
    lock and providing an Admin password before you can do anything. Enable
    NetInfo by checking the box next to Netinfo. The click the configure
    tab. Next, sure the box that says attempt to connect to specific
    NetInfo server is checked. Enter the server's IP address and type in
    "network" in the server tag box. That's it. Once you restart, it'll be
    binded to the server for login information and WorkGroup Manager
    settings.

    I did this in my school over the summer. We're still ironing out the
    kinks, but so far it's working pretty well.

    The OS X Server Manual seems to indicate that you need to generate
    computer lists to manage computers. You don't. You can manage clients by
    group and/or user preferences/settings. You can also create computer
    lists to furthe tweak settings for certain computers, but if you allow
    guest computers to access your settings, you'll be OK.

    Good Luck,

    Jeff K
    Jeff Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: managing OS X clients with workgroup manager and OS 10.2 se

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Logan) wrote:

    This is explained but it may not be in the part of the
    administrator's manual you're looking in.

    Having set up the server to administer a particular client
    machine, boot the machine and run

    /Applications/Utilities/Directory Access

    on it. Turn on 'NetInfo' and configure it. In the
    configuration screen you'll see stuff about a NetInfo parent.
    Use the bottom setting: 'specific'. Put the /numeric/ IP
    address of the server in the address box and put 'network' in
    the tag box. Turn the other two connection attempt things off
    and Hit OK.

    Then check the 'Authentication' tab and check that it isn't
    set to search 'Local directory' only.

    Hit Apply, quit and reboot.

    Simon Guest