Professional Web Applications Themes

Mandrake 9.1 and Wireless Networking - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Recently I finally got a wireless card for my laptop (Dell Inspiron 8200). I got the card through work so it they got it from Dell (TrueMobile 1150 Series Wireless Mini PCI Card). As soon as I booted up, without changing anything, mandrake had recognized it, installed what it needed and then connected automatically to the nearest wireless access point. YIKES!! That access point is not even in our office, it might be some local college hacker! So next I figures I would go to my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 file and change onboot=no. Well this didn't seem to work as when I ...

  1. #1

    Default Mandrake 9.1 and Wireless Networking

    Recently I finally got a wireless card for my laptop (Dell Inspiron
    8200). I got the card through work so it they got it from Dell
    (TrueMobile 1150 Series Wireless Mini PCI Card). As soon as I booted
    up, without changing anything, mandrake had recognized it, installed
    what it needed and then connected automatically to the nearest
    wireless access point. YIKES!! That access point is not even in our
    office, it might be some local college hacker!

    So next I figures I would go to my
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 file and change onboot=no.
    Well this didn't seem to work as when I boot up we still automatically
    connect to the nearest wireless access point.

    Now I guess I have a few questions but the only one I really care to
    have answered is:

    1. How do I stop my wireless card from automatically connecting to any
    access point?

    2. Is there a way to setup or a startup script that will only try to
    startup my wireless card if no hard wire connection (eth0) is found?

    3. Is there a way to profile my network settings so that I can say hey
    only start eth0 if it's present else look for these two access points
    (work or home) and then try to connect with these WEP keys?

    I am sure there are answers and solutions to these questions I have
    asked but I have just been having a tough time finding them. Maybe I
    am just bad at searching google groups but I really don't know why
    this scenario is so difficult to achieve on Linux and so easy to do on
    Windows XP. I hate to admit that though it seems to be true at least
    for me.
    Jason Kumpf Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mandrake 9.1 and Wireless Networking

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:20:45 -0700, Jason Kumpf wrote:
    > Recently I finally got a wireless card for my laptop (Dell Inspiron 8200).
    > I got the card through work so it they got it from Dell (TrueMobile 1150
    > Series Wireless Mini PCI Card). As soon as I booted up, without changing
    > anything, mandrake had recognized it, installed what it needed and then
    > connected automatically to the nearest wireless access point. YIKES!!
    > That access point is not even in our office, it might be some local
    > college hacker!
    Do you know what chipset that card uses, if not, what module is loaded for
    it ?.

    Cheers

    Dave

    dave Stanton Guest

  3. #3

    Jason Kumpf scribbled:
    > Recently I finally got a wireless card for my laptop (Dell Inspiron
    > 8200). I got the card through work so it they got it from Dell
    > (TrueMobile 1150 Series Wireless Mini PCI Card). As soon as I booted
    > up, without changing anything, mandrake had recognized it, installed
    > what it needed and then connected automatically to the nearest
    > wireless access point. YIKES!! That access point is not even in our
    > office, it might be some local college hacker!
    If you are using the KDE desktop, the control panel should provide a GUI
    interface to configure the WiFi interface - you can disable it by default
    here and enable the CAT5 interface. The WAP must have a unique name, as
    the factory default is common to all WAPs from that manufacturer, hence the
    reason you probably connected to the non-corporate WAP by default. As for
    security WEP is pretty weak so if you really need secure communications
    link use SSH on both ends of the link, or at least up to the link between
    the WAP and the device connected to your corporate infrastructure via CAT5
    cable.

    --
    Free Software Foundation (FSF) Associate Member 499
    Linux Counter Statistics: UserID 277671

    horne Guest