Professional Web Applications Themes

Mandrake help needed - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

i just downloaded all 3 isos to mandrake and unisoed them to one directory on my Hardrive i have made a install boot floppy disk just like the install Guide says when i restart my Machine with disk in and start to install how do i Point it to the directory on my hardrive...

  1. #1

    Default Mandrake help needed

    i just downloaded all 3 isos to mandrake and unisoed them to one directory
    on my Hardrive i have made a install boot floppy disk just like the install
    Guide says when i restart my Machine with disk in and start to install
    how do i Point it to the directory on my hardrive

    CHristopher Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mandrake help needed

    CHristopher Baird wrote:

    You don't "uniso" an iso file. They are images you write to a CD. Get Nero
    or a similar CD-writer and use it to make a CD with each iso image. (Make
    sure that you use the right menu option - on occasion I have just copied
    the file to a CD. That is NOT correct.) You will then have 3 CDs. Put CD
    1 in your CD-ROM drive and use the boot floppy you made. Then follow the
    on-screen prompts. If you can configure your computer's BIOS to boot from
    the CD, you won't need the floppy.

    Doug.
    --
    The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and
    hands.

    Doug Guest

  3. #3

    i dont want to make 3 CDs it says i can do it from my hardive like i did i
    just dont know how
    "Doug Laidlaw" <com.au> wrote in message
    news:mydomain.org.au... [/ref]
    install

    > You don't "uniso" an iso file. They are images you write to a CD. Get[/ref]
    Nero
    CD

    CHristopher Guest

  4. #4

    CHristopher Baird wrote:
     [/ref]
    > install
    >>
    >> You don't "uniso" an iso file. They are images you write to a CD.
    >> Get[/ref]
    > Nero
    > CD [/ref]

    Don't use downloaded iso images.

    On the Mandrake 9.2 download page there are two lists of mirrors, the
    first list contains mirrors of the iso sets and the second one contains
    lists of mirrors of the whole tree.

    Download the whole tree from the second list using a mirroring tool or
    using this:
    wget -rm

    Then from the images directory of that tree, make an install boot floppy
    using hd.img instead of cdrom.img.

    Clive Guest

  5. #5

    i have made myself a bootable floppy what do i type to point it to the
    directory where i ihave it?

    "Clive Dove" <com> wrote in message
    > > install
    > > Nero
    > > CD [/ref]
    >

    > Don't use downloaded iso images.
    >
    > On the Mandrake 9.2 download page there are two lists of mirrors, the
    > first list contains mirrors of the iso sets and the second one contains
    > lists of mirrors of the whole tree.
    >
    > Download the whole tree from the second list using a mirroring tool or
    > using this:
    > wget -rm
    >
    > Then from the images directory of that tree, make an install boot floppy
    > using hd.img instead of cdrom.img.
    >[/ref]

    CHristopher Guest

  6. #6

    CHristopher Baird wrote:

    >> Don't use downloaded iso images.
    >>
    >> On the Mandrake 9.2 download page there are two lists of mirrors, the
    >> first list contains mirrors of the iso sets and the second one contains
    >> lists of mirrors of the whole tree.
    >>
    >> Download the whole tree from the second list using a mirroring tool or
    >> using this:
    >> wget -rm
    >>
    >> Then from the images directory of that tree, make an install boot floppy
    >> using hd.img instead of cdrom.img.
    >>[/ref][/ref]
    What did you download? If you downloaded the 3 "cdrom.img" files I am
    afraid that you will have to start again, and get the ones Clive mentioned.
    They are COMPLETELY different.

    Where did you put them? On your Windows drive? You will need to leave them
    there forever, because everything on them isn't installed to begin with,
    and you will have to go back to them from time to time. If you use
    CD-ROMs, you won't tie up this disk space. And properly cared for, CD-ROMs
    last longer than a HD.

    What image did you put on the boot floopy? Was it cdrom.img or hd.img? It
    needs to be hd.img.

    If it was hd.img, what message do you get when you boot from it? Mandrake
    tries to make it easy to install from within Windows, but I have never done
    it that way. If you are working from within Windows, i would assume that
    you will be prompted for a path in normal Windows format, e.g. C:\ or
    C:\Mandrake, or wherever you put them, but I dont'know. If it says
    /dev/hd? type /dev/hda/ . Note that the slashes under Linux face the other
    way.

    Without more information, I am afraid that we can't really give you specific
    directions. It seems to me that you are not really experienced enough to
    install from your HD.

    There is a newsgroup specifically devoted to Mandrake at
    alt.os.linux.mandrake.

    You can save yourself all this hassle by ordering a set of CD-ROMS from
    various sources for about $30. Because there are no licence fees for
    Linux, the CDs just cost you the suppliers' work in burning them. Search
    for them on the Web.

    Doug.

    --
    Health consists of having the same diseases as one's neighbors.
    -- Quentin Crisp.

    Doug Guest

  7. #7

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
     [/ref]
    > What did you download? If you downloaded the 3 "cdrom.img" files I am
    > afraid that you will have to start again, and get the ones Clive
    > mentioned. They are COMPLETELY different.
    >
    > Where did you put them? On your Windows drive? You will need to leave
    > them there forever, because everything on them isn't installed to begin
    > with,
    > and you will have to go back to them from time to time. If you use
    > CD-ROMs, you won't tie up this disk space. And properly cared for,
    > CD-ROMs last longer than a HD.
    >
    > What image did you put on the boot floopy? Was it cdrom.img or hd.img? It
    > needs to be hd.img.
    >
    > If it was hd.img, what message do you get when you boot from it? Mandrake
    > tries to make it easy to install from within Windows, but I have never
    > done
    > it that way. If you are working from within Windows, i would assume that
    > you will be prompted for a path in normal Windows format, e.g. C:\ or
    > C:\Mandrake, or wherever you put them, but I dont'know. If it says
    > /dev/hd? type /dev/hda/ . Note that the slashes under Linux face the other
    > way.
    >
    > Without more information, I am afraid that we can't really give you
    > specific
    > directions. It seems to me that you are not really experienced enough to
    > install from your HD.
    >
    > There is a newsgroup specifically devoted to Mandrake at
    > alt.os.linux.mandrake.
    >
    > You can save yourself all this hassle by ordering a set of CD-ROMS from
    > various sources for about $30. Because there are no licence fees for
    > Linux, the CDs just cost you the suppliers' work in burning them. Search
    > for them on the Web.
    >
    > Doug.
    >[/ref]
    As I mentioned, we need more information to be able to answer your question.
    Have a look at http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html . If you
    follow the guidelines there, you are more likely to get a useful answer
    first time. I couldn't find the URL in a hurry last night.

    HTH,

    Doug.
    --
    If life had a second edition, how I would correct the proofs.
    --John Clare, poet.

    Doug Guest