Professional Web Applications Themes

Mandrake install problem - Siig controller - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I am having installation difficulties. Specs: a P4-2.8ghz/512mb mem/multi-boot/dos6.22/win3.1/win98se/win2k/winXP/4 hard-drives/3 cdroms. Boot selection controlled by System Commander 2000. Filesystems: FAT, FAT32, NTFS, ext2, ext3, Linux-swap I can boot from either the CD or floppy - tried both. I get to the install process and setup the language, scroll/mouse, keyboard, listed scsi devices. The install seems unable to detect my hard drives. Unfortunately the install is sort of on autopilot at this point and headed for the nearest mountain... It gives a message about no media to install onto, or something like that and then hangs/locks up, necessitating a reboot. I ...

  1. #1

    Default Mandrake install problem - Siig controller

    I am having installation difficulties.

    Specs: a P4-2.8ghz/512mb mem/multi-boot/dos6.22/win3.1/win98se/win2k/winXP/4
    hard-drives/3 cdroms.
    Boot selection controlled by System Commander 2000.
    Filesystems: FAT, FAT32, NTFS, ext2, ext3, Linux-swap

    I can boot from either the CD or floppy - tried both. I get to the install
    process and setup the language, scroll/mouse, keyboard, listed scsi devices.
    The install seems unable to detect my hard drives. Unfortunately the
    install is sort of on autopilot at this point and headed for the nearest
    mountain... It gives a message about no media to install onto, or
    something like that and then hangs/locks up, necessitating a reboot.

    I have 4 hard-drives - all are plugged into a Siig CN2487 Ultra ATA/133
    controller, using its primary and secondary ide channels. I have 2 cdroms
    running from the mainboard secondary hd controller. 1 cdrom by parallel
    port. The primary hd controller is disabled in bios because nothing is
    attached to it. I seem to have 6 working ide devices at the moment, and I
    have hopes of attempting to add 2 more to the open port in the future.

    This arrangement worked fine on my old PII-450mhz. I used to have Mandrake
    running on its own dedicated hard-drive and could boot into any of my OS's
    at will. I did have to use a floppy to initiate the boot because I didn't
    find a better way to make it work. Now with the advent of my new system
    that I built partly from the old PC and from fresh parts I am suffering
    Linux withdrawls. I use PartitionMagic 8 to create/format new partitions.
    It is capable of creating/formatting ext2 and ext2 as well as the standard
    Win/dos formats. I decided with the drastic change in technology that it
    would be best to wipe my old Linux partitions and just reinstall Mandrake to
    avoid kernel complications. Especially true since moving from a Voodoo to a
    Gforce. I have been able to format the partitions and have them ready for
    the install. I know that the target drive is readable and accessable under
    the new PC. I experimented by creating a temporary dos partition to prove
    accessability and it is fine. Reformatted back to ext2.

    I am a little more familiar with Redhat, Mandrake is new to me. I wish the
    install had a little more control over the search for hard-drives because I
    know where it is located and it would seem all to easy to be able to see it
    under DiskDrake.

    My thoughts:
    Maybe there is something I am missing in the scsi section of the install? I
    did not see any option for choosing a Siig controller driver. Since the
    hd's are not seen, my thought is that this scsi unchoice is the source of
    the problem. But how do I get the Siig detected? How do I get Mandrake to
    identify it and more importantly what can I choose for a driver?
    Unfortunately there is no Linux driver included with the Siig (shame). It
    is a decent controller card and at this point somewhat intregal to my PC.
    Regarding my old PC, I think the Linux drive may have been running direct
    from the mainboard ide/secondary port. If I must, then I will connect to
    the mobo pri/ide available on this PC, but I hope that I won't have to
    because I have all the wring/cables/etc in a perfect arrangement.

    I am somewhat at a standstill. I need my Linux. Windows is really getting
    on my nerves.

    Any and all help will be very much appreciated, thanks,
    --
    matt -`;'- net

    matt Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mandrake install problem - Siig controller

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 03:04:11 -0500, matt -`;'- wrote:

    [...]

    Knoppix (Debian Linux distro) has one version that runs completely from CD
    ROM, uses a ram-disk for config and user files, and uses any existing swap
    partitions it finds if needed. Also useful as a non-corruptable
    (read-only) OS you can always use to check your other systems. Will give
    you a quick fix for your Linux withdrawal. Naturally, works better with
    lots of RAM. Trickiest part is knowing what to tell it about your video.
    After that, it's (almost) all automagic. And (NOT spam, just giving you
    one small answer) available from cheapbytes.com

    Believe this is the URL that will get you to it:

    http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart/0070010970.html?id=qdirAymx

    "Works good" for me. Might be good for you, too.

    Best wishes.

    ps. Sorry about your Siig controller driver. Maybe someone else can help
    you with that.

    --
    Remove the backwards _NO_SPAM for e-mail
    ... Trying to cut down on the backwards NEWS virus mail

  3. #3

    "Newsbox" <org> wrote in message

    > Knoppix (Debian Linux distro) has one version that runs completely from CD
    > ROM, uses a ram-disk for config and user files, and uses any existing swap
    > partitions it finds if needed. Also useful as a non-corruptable
    > (read-only) OS you can always use to check your other systems. Will give
    > you a quick fix for your Linux withdrawal. Naturally, works better with
    > lots of RAM. Trickiest part is knowing what to tell it about your video.
    > After that, it's (almost) all automagic. And (NOT spam, just giving you
    > one small answer) available from cheapbytes.com
    >
    > Believe this is the URL that will get you to it:
    >
    > http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart/0070010970.html?id=qdirAymx
    >
    > "Works good" for me. Might be good for you, too.
    >
    > Best wishes.
    >
    > ps. Sorry about your Siig controller driver. Maybe someone else can help
    > you with that.
    >[/ref]
    I don't care what it takes I am going to get it working. Just wish I could
    write a driver for it. Thanks for the info. I can actually boot up a
    rescue situation from floppy and cd. I haven't explored how it is running,
    but I suspicion there is some sort of ram drive being employed. Too bad my
    Siig is invisible to the install because that is where all the hard drives
    are.
    --
    matt -`;'- net

    matt Guest

  4. #4

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 00:58:18 -0500, matt -`;'- wrote:

    >> Knoppix (Debian Linux distro) has one version that runs completely from
    >> CD ROM, uses a ram-disk for config and user files, and uses any
    >> existing swap partitions it finds if needed. Also useful as a
    >> non-corruptable (read-only) OS you can always use to check your other
    >> systems. Will give you a quick fix for your Linux withdrawal.
    >> Naturally, works better with lots of RAM. Trickiest part is knowing
    >> what to tell it about your video.
    >> After that, it's (almost) all automagic. And (NOT spam, just giving
    >> you one small answer) available from cheapbytes.com
    >>
    >> Believe this is the URL that will get you to it:
    >>
    >> http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart/0070010970.html?id=qdirAymx
    >>
    >> "Works good" for me. Might be good for you, too.
    >>
    >> Best wishes.
    >>
    >> ps. Sorry about your Siig controller driver. Maybe someone else can
    >> help you with that.
    >>[/ref]
    > I don't care what it takes I am going to get it working.[/ref]

    Hey matt !!

    With an attitude like that (and a little bit of old fashioned work) you
    can't fail ! Keep up the good work.

    The Siig people should give you the drivers. Ask them. -- They are the
    experts who are making their livelihoods from their products.

    You are welcome. Order the disk. It will get you running for now,
    especially if you have plenty of RAM.

    Can't speak about your Mandrake, but I do know that my RH does use a RAM
    disk during startup, and suspect that you are correct, that yours does as
    well, during startup and rescue.

    You didn't post details of your Siig controller (Type No., etc) so I can't
    be more specific. They seem to have a good web presence, and I found
    these pages:

    http://www.google.com/search?q=Siig+controller+Linux+driver

    http://siig.com/downloads.asp

    http://siig.com/#

    http://siig.com/downloads.asp

    They have a search, but I didn't know what to search for. So that's as
    far as I could go. On-line support is here:

    http://siig.com/faq/index.htm

    Ask them. If they don't know about Linux by now (unlikely), then they are
    out of the loop, completely. If they do, then they may be the best place
    to start looking.

    Best wishes.