Professional Web Applications Themes

Many ASP.NET controls killing my CPU - ASP.NET Building Controls

Has anyone come accross something like this On an aspx page with a "large" Databound datagrid (over 500 rows, 5 columns) the CPU utilization on the server goes to 100% when processing the page. The grid is databound to a custom business object collection that ultimately inherits from CollectionBase and implements some of IBindingList (except for sorting and that kind of thing). Sometimes it goes so far as to reset the ASP.NET worker process due to too much memory consumption. Paging the DataGrid doesn't help At first I thought there was a problem with my collections... or maybe the datagrid ...

  1. #1

    Default Many ASP.NET controls killing my CPU

    Has anyone come accross something like this
    On an aspx page with a "large" Databound datagrid (over 500 rows, 5 columns) the CPU utilization on the server goes to 100% when processing the page. The grid is databound to a custom business object collection that ultimately inherits from CollectionBase and implements some of IBindingList (except for sorting and that kind of thing). Sometimes it goes so far as to reset the ASP.NET worker process due to too much memory consumption. Paging the DataGrid doesn't help

    At first I thought there was a problem with my collections... or maybe the datagrid control

    But then I did another page where I dinamically have to build a tree of controls (again, a little over 500), each control is a custom composite control and represents a node in the tree. Each time the page is loaded (rendered?) the CPU also goes to 100%. If it is loaded frequently enough the ASPNET worker process resets due to "unexpected error", which I am guessing is due to a StackOverflowException in mscorlib.dll (one time that I was debugging I managed to trap this error

    Any suggestions as to why this is happening or how it could be resolved

    Many, many thanks in advance
    Carlos
    Carlos Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Many ASP.NET controls killing my CPU

    "Carlos" <crubalcavaREMOVETHIS.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Has anyone come accross something like this?
    > On an aspx page with a "large" Databound datagrid (over 500 rows, 5
    columns) the CPU utilization on the server goes to 100% when processing the
    page. The grid is databound to a custom business object collection that
    ultimately inherits from CollectionBase and implements some of IBindingList
    (except for sorting and that kind of thing). Sometimes it goes so far as to
    reset the ASP.NET worker process due to too much memory consumption. Paging
    the DataGrid doesn't help.

    > At first I thought there was a problem with my collections... or maybe the
    datagrid control.

    > But then I did another page where I dinamically have to build a tree of
    controls (again, a little over 500), each control is a custom composite
    control and represents a node in the tree. Each time the page is loaded
    (rendered?) the CPU also goes to 100%. If it is loaded frequently enough
    the ASPNET worker process resets due to "unexpected error", which I am
    guessing is due to a StackOverflowException in mscorlib.dll (one time that I
    was debugging I managed to trap this error)

    > Any suggestions as to why this is happening or how it could be resolved?
    I suggest you try to reproduce this with a simple 500-row DataTable instead
    of your custom business object collection. That will narrow things down a
    bit.
    --
    John Saunders
    John.Saunders at SurfControl.com

    John Saunders Guest

  3. #3

    this DataGrid has ViewState = true? Your datasource is in ViewState?

    Brun

    "John Saunders" <john.saunders at SurfControl.com> wrote in message
    > "Carlos" <crubalcavaREMOVETHIS.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Has anyone come accross something like this?
    > > On an aspx page with a "large" Databound datagrid (over 500 rows, 5
    > columns) the CPU utilization on the server goes to 100% when processing
    the
    > page. The grid is databound to a custom business object collection that
    > ultimately inherits from CollectionBase and implements some of
    IBindingList
    > (except for sorting and that kind of thing). Sometimes it goes so far as
    > reset the ASP.NET worker process due to too much memory consumption.
    Paging
    > the DataGrid doesn't help.
    > >
    > > At first I thought there was a problem with my collections... or maybe
    the
    > datagrid control.
    > >
    > > But then I did another page where I dinamically have to build a tree of
    > controls (again, a little over 500), each control is a custom composite
    > control and represents a node in the tree. Each time the page is loaded
    > (rendered?) the CPU also goes to 100%. If it is loaded frequently enough
    > the ASPNET worker process resets due to "unexpected error", which I am
    > guessing is due to a StackOverflowException in mscorlib.dll (one time that
    > was debugging I managed to trap this error)
    > >
    > > Any suggestions as to why this is happening or how it could be resolved?
    >
    > I suggest you try to reproduce this with a simple 500-row DataTable
    instead
    > of your custom business object collection. That will narrow things down a
    > bit.
    > --
    > John Saunders
    > John.Saunders at SurfControl.com