Professional Web Applications Themes

Many handles - MySQL

Hi! My server seems a bit sluggish so I installed TaskInfo to get an overview of the running processes. I found out that my MySQL database has >40.000 handles and the default setting in TaskInfo alerts me at >20.000 total handles. Does this indicate to you that I have a faulty database or are this many handles quite normal? Regards, Erik...

  1. #1

    Default Many handles

    Hi!

    My server seems a bit sluggish so I installed TaskInfo to get an overview of
    the running processes. I found out that my MySQL database has >40.000
    handles and the default setting in TaskInfo alerts me at >20.000 total
    handles. Does this indicate to you that I have a faulty database or are this
    many handles quite normal?

    Regards,
    Erik

    Erik Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Many handles

    Erik Poulsen wrote:

    Erik,

    Impossible to tell from your description. 40K handles may be normal on
    some systems - but highly abnormal on others.

    Rather than shooting the symptoms, why not troubleshoot the problem -
    like what kinds of querys are showing slow response?

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address

  3. #3

    Hi

    Alright Jerry, now that I got someones attention I'll explain more
    thoroughly.

    I'm hosting a dynamic website containing a gallery on Windows 2003 Server.
    The site is coded in PHP and requires the MySQL database to keep track of
    images etc. The server is not a powerhorse but when for instance editing
    uploaded images for a user it does ok. When generating a new PHP site the
    CPU load increases to construct the dynamic webpage, but when I access a new
    page the response time is unreasonobly long - although there's not much CPU
    or RAM load. Therefore I was looking for some other extension to blaim and I
    came across MySQL's many handles:)

    Regards,
    Erik

    "Jerry Stuckle" <net> wrote in message

    > Erik,
    >
    > Impossible to tell from your description. 40K handles may be normal on
    > some systems - but highly abnormal on others.
    >
    > Rather than shooting the symptoms, why not troubleshoot the problem - like
    > what kinds of querys are showing slow response?
    >

    > --
    > ==================
    > Remove the "x" from my email address
    > Jerry Stuckle
    > JDS Computer Training Corp.
    > net
    > ==================[/ref]

    Erik Guest

  4. #4

    Erik Poulsen wrote:
    >> Erik,
    >>
    >> Impossible to tell from your description. 40K handles may be normal on
    >> some systems - but highly abnormal on others.
    >>
    >> Rather than shooting the symptoms, why not troubleshoot the problem - like
    >> what kinds of querys are showing slow response?
    >>

    >> --
    >> ==================
    >> Remove the "x" from my email address
    >> Jerry Stuckle
    >> JDS Computer Training Corp.
    >> net
    >> ==================[/ref]
    >

    > Hi
    >
    > Alright Jerry, now that I got someones attention I'll explain more
    > thoroughly.
    >
    > I'm hosting a dynamic website containing a gallery on Windows 2003[/ref]
    Server.
    track of
    the
    access a new
    much CPU
    blaim and I

    (Top posting fixed)

    Erik,

    I think you need to do some troubleshooting to determine where the delay
    is. I very much doubt it is the number of MySQL handles out there.

    But I can't say for sure, because you haven't given us enough
    information to tell whether this is normal or not. It may be quite
    normal - but it can also be abnormal. There's no way to tell without
    detailed information.

    P.S. Please don't top post.

    --
    ==================

  5. #5

    >> Hi
    > >
    > > Alright Jerry, now that I got someones attention I'll explain more
    > > thoroughly.
    > >
    > > I'm hosting a dynamic website containing a gallery on Windows 2003[/ref]
    > Server.
    > track of
    > the
    > access a new
    > much CPU
    > blaim and I
    >
    > (Top posting fixed)
    >
    > Erik,
    >
    > I think you need to do some troubleshooting to determine where the delay
    > is. I very much doubt it is the number of MySQL handles out there.
    >
    > But I can't say for sure, because you haven't given us enough information
    > to tell whether this is normal or not. It may be quite normal - but it
    > can also be abnormal. There's no way to tell without detailed
    > information.
    >
    > P.S. Please don't top post.
    >
    > --
    > ==================
    > Remove the "x" from my email address
    > Jerry Stuckle
    > JDS Computer Training Corp.
    > net
    > ==================[/ref]

    Well Jerry, which areas do you wish me to elaborate on? I'm running MySQL
    with "out of the box" settings, so perhaps my questions belong in the PHP
    newsgroup, but I'd still like to know, what I need to be more specific
    about..

    Regards,
    Erik

    Erik Guest

  6. #6

    Erik Poulsen wrote:
    >> Server.
    >> track of
    >> the
    >> access a new
    >> much CPU
    >> blaim and I
    >> (Top posting fixed)
    >>
    >> Erik,
    >>
    >> I think you need to do some troubleshooting to determine where the delay
    >> is. I very much doubt it is the number of MySQL handles out there.
    >>
    >> But I can't say for sure, because you haven't given us enough information
    >> to tell whether this is normal or not. It may be quite normal - but it
    >> can also be abnormal. There's no way to tell without detailed
    >> information.
    >>
    >> P.S. Please don't top post.
    >>
    >> --
    >> ==================
    >> Remove the "x" from my email address
    >> Jerry Stuckle
    >> JDS Computer Training Corp.
    >> net
    >> ==================[/ref]
    >
    > Well Jerry, which areas do you wish me to elaborate on? I'm running MySQL
    > with "out of the box" settings, so perhaps my questions belong in the PHP
    > newsgroup, but I'd still like to know, what I need to be more specific
    > about..
    >
    > Regards,
    > Erik
    >
    >[/ref]

    Erik,

    It all depends on if you're using MyISAM or INNODB databases, the type
    of connections you're using (persistent or non-persistent), the number
    of concurrent connections you have and a whole bunch of other things.

    On my system MySQL takes about 16K handles even when nothing is going
    on. But it can rapidly grow.

    Remember - handles include not just file handles, but semaphores and all
    kinds of other system resources. 40K may not at all be too many.

    But what makes you think this is the problem? Unless the system runs
    out of handles (in which case you'd get an error message from Windows),
    I wouldn't worry about it.

    --