Professional Web Applications Themes

Mariner Write - Mac Applications & Software

Personally I'd recommend a database such as FileMaker Pro for printing address labels and invoices. As far as word processors go, I'm not sure. I've not used many that are MacOS X compatible. Have you tried AppleWorks? -- Russell...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Mariner Write

    Personally I'd recommend a database such as FileMaker Pro for printing
    address labels and invoices.

    As far as word processors go, I'm not sure. I've not used many that are
    MacOS X compatible. Have you tried AppleWorks?

    -- Russell
    Russell E. Owen Guest

  2. #2

    In article <bfs3rn$27t2$1nntp6.u.washington.edu>,
    "Russell E. Owen" <nospam.invalid> wrote:
    > Personally I'd recommend a database such as FileMaker Pro for printing
    > address labels and invoices.
    Interesting, I was planning on moving the addresses and other data into
    a db (from a flat file) further down the road. Maybe I need to re-think
    the priorities.

    > As far as word processors go, I'm not sure. I've not used many that are
    > MacOS X compatible. Have you tried AppleWorks?
    No, I haven't. Will look into it. Thanks for the suggestions.

    - Chuck
    Primo Guest

  3. #3

    In article <noaddress-F280B4.09454125072003central.isp.giganews.com>,
    Primo <noaddressnodomain.none> wrote:
    > A couple months after installing OS X, I'm still working on finding
    > suitable upgrades/replacements for a few "Classic" applications, hoping
    > to eventually dramatically reduce the need for the Classic environment
    > (which presently is virtually every time I use the machine).
    A year after installing X, I am still looking for the same thing, but I
    don't ever use classic.
    > One of those applications is WordPerfect. After reading inquiries and
    > recommendations in this group, I downloaded Mariner Write. The demo
    > time period will expire in a few days, and I'm undecided whether or not
    > it's going to be suitable for my needs. Write has some nice features
    > and would seem to work well for preparing letters, memos, reports and
    > the like.
    Also look at Melllel which is not only cheaper, but in many ways better.

    [url]http://www.redlers.com/[/url] is the home page for the company

    > However, I use a word processor most frequently for printing invoices
    > and address labels for my business. It took awhile, but I eventually
    > got something less than perfect but workable for the invoices (with two
    > columns, so that it can be cut it in half and a copy retained, as I've
    > been doing with WordPerfect).
    Look at Invoice Biz

    [url]http://www.cornerstonedesigns.biz/[/url]
    > As for the address labels, there don't seem to be any templates, as
    > there are in other word processing packages. I spent some time the
    > other day trying to build a table with cells corresponding to the
    > labels. Even when the table borders were turned off, a light outline was
    > printed. Did I miss something and/or is there a better way to prepare
    > labels?
    there are things like Daylite that may work better for invoicing and
    labels and stuff.
    > Also, there doesn't seem to be any way to configure searching to
    > automatically wrap around the end of the doent. Being prompted to
    > continue searching at the beginning every time is rather annoying. Am I
    > missing something?
    Nope, seems like a limitation in damn near everythng unless you hit
    select all first, which is risky in itself.
    > Anyone who's using a different application think it will do a better job
    > with labels and/or multi-column doents?
    I would love to see a full featured word processor for the Mac. However
    no one has written one except M$, and that opens a whole different
    kettle of fish. I prefer WORD to almost anything else, but have an
    ethical issue with using their software.

    I would buy a copy of WordPerfect Mac for a hundred bucks, and their
    office suite for 200. What I will not do is spend 500 bucks for a bunch
    of broken apps.
    Ross Winn Guest

  4. #4

    In article <tampabay.rr.com>, Ross
    Winn <com> wrote:

    Isn't Nisus out for X? I haven't looked at it, but it should be full-featured.

    --
    John Rethorst

    jrethorst -at- post -dot- com
    John Guest

  5. #5

    In article <075.popsite.net>,
    net (John Rethorst) wrote:

    > Isn't Nisus out for X? I haven't looked at it, but it should be full-featured.[/ref]

    Yes, it's been released, but I wouldn't call it full-featured. It lacks
    a lot of features from previous versions that I consider essential. For
    example, it can't import my old Nisus Writer macro files, and it doesn't
    seem to support named styles & named rulers. I think they concentrated
    on implementing what they considered the bare minimum feature set so
    they could get it to market as soon as possible, and will add more
    features later, but I'm not willing to pay for an incomplete product.
    Wayne Guest

  6. #6

    In article
    <wp.shawcable.net>,
    "Wayne C. Morris" <is.invalid> wrote:

    Guy Kawasaki once advised, "Don't worry, be crappy". And of course
    there's the open-source maxim of "release early, release often".

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  7. #7

    "Wayne C. Morris" <is.invalid> writes:

    My recollection is that Nisus bought an application from someone and
    re-worked it to be Writer.
    Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip
    Phil Guest

  8. #8

    In article <tdl.com>, Phil Stripling
    <zzn.com> wrote:

    > My recollection is that Nisus bought an application from someone and
    > re-worked it to be Writer.[/ref]

    Okito Composer, a shareware text editor. I thought Nisus had added more
    features. IAC Mariner is still adding features, and I've heard compliments
    about Mellel.

    --
    John Rethorst

    jrethorst -at- post -dot- com
    John Guest

  9. #9

    Ross Winn <com> wrote:

    Thinkfree Office?
    (only with relatively recent/fast macs)

    Herve

    --
    Frédérique & Hervé Sainct, net
    Frédérique's initial is missing in front of the above address