Professional Web Applications Themes

Market for Solaris and AIX technicians? - Sun Solaris

From jobsearching for a few months, Ive realized a few trends in the market for un*x technicians. Here are a few: 1) Among Linux, BSD, Solaris, AIX, HPUX, IRIX etc, the biggest demand (or number of openings) is for Solaris techies. Runner up is Linux RedHat 2) AIX technicians generally get paid more, yet the demands are higher, at least of years of experience. 3) AIX techies are generally required to know websphere db2 tivoli etc, yet Solaris techies are not required to know iPlanet etc. I wonder if this means Solaris is used as a general purpose UNIX compared ...

  1. #1

    Default Market for Solaris and AIX technicians?

    From jobsearching for a few months, Ive realized a few trends in the
    market for un*x technicians. Here are a few:

    1) Among Linux, BSD, Solaris, AIX, HPUX, IRIX etc, the biggest demand
    (or number of openings) is for Solaris techies. Runner up is Linux
    RedHat

    2) AIX technicians generally get paid more, yet the demands are
    higher, at least of years of experience.

    3) AIX techies are generally required to know websphere db2 tivoli
    etc, yet Solaris techies are not required to know iPlanet etc. I
    wonder if this means Solaris is used as a general purpose UNIX
    compared to AIX which is only used when websphere etc are needed.

    4) Many Solaris and HP-UX techies are required to know Linux. Not so
    true of AIX, AS/400 techies

    5) BSD is dead, at least in the market. I use FreeBSD on a server at
    my workplace and know a few techies who have used it as a backup type
    server, yet HR managers seem to always miss it as an official
    requirement. Linux however has become official

    6) Developers for UNIX software are in demand for Solaris and Linux,
    not for HP-UX or AIX

    7) IRIX is deader than dead. In fact IRIX is deader than OpenVMS

    8) AS/400 is quite alive and kicking. But the demand for years of
    experience usually exceed 7 years and is never below 5.

    9) Solaris certifications are sought more than Linux certs. IBM certs
    are worthless. Their clients only ask for experience.

    10) No company so far has rolled out Linux on its own. Linux usually
    is used along Solaris or HP-UX in any company as its demand shows. An
    exception are ISPs and web hosting providers.

    11) In almost all cases you need to know Windows, have the MCSE or
    know Exchange/Outlook management (nice to have etc). Exceptions were
    software development jobs.

    Any comments or corrections?
    Ghazan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Market for Solaris and AIX technicians?

    Ghazan Haider <haider.name> wrote:

    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/salsurvey/salsur2002final.pdf

    As far as businesses running on AIX & HPUX, I can't imagine ever
    wanting to work there.

    Vikram Guest

  3. #3

    In article <google.com>,
    haider.name (Ghazan Haider) writes:

    I wouldn't call this a 'trend' in that it has always been the
    case -- BSD has never had any serious commercial following.
    Personally, I would much rather the current fad for Linux had
    been for FreeBSD.

    I used to work for an ISV and we ported our products to very many
    different unixs. One of our development offices was staffed by
    FreeBSD enthusiasts, and of course they had the product ported to
    FreeBSD. However, we never had a single customer request for it on
    FreeBSD. Contrast that with the over 20 Unix ports we did do in
    response to customer requests, and you can see BSD was simply out
    of the picture.

    Personally, I would choose someone with experience of more than one,
    as it's good to know about the differences. In that case I would not
    necessarily worry if they didn't have experience of the 'right' one
    for the job as transfering is no big deal. However, I would be very
    cautious of hiring someone with only Linux experience. Of course,
    this all depends heavily on what the job requirements are.

    --
    Andrew Gabriel
    Andrew Guest