Professional Web Applications Themes

Market Research (Online Photo Hosting) - Photography

Hi Guys, If you think this post is too commercial please just ignore and don't reply... I am thinking of starting a hosting service, with built in scripting for automagic photo albums.... what I would like to know is what the markets wants ie.... 1: How much webspace for each account? 2: How big would you like the images? (It will not be directly linked to any processing service, so I do not see a need to upload the full size files, I would hate to think of the hard disks that I would need, let alone the bandwidth charges ...

  1. #1

    Default Market Research (Online Photo Hosting)

    Hi Guys,

    If you think this post is too commercial please just ignore and don't
    reply...

    I am thinking of starting a hosting service, with built in scripting for
    automagic photo albums.... what I would like to know is what the markets
    wants ie....

    1: How much webspace for each account?
    2: How big would you like the images? (It will not be directly linked to
    any processing service, so I do not see a need to upload the full size
    files, I would hate to think of the hard disks that I would need, let alone
    the bandwidth charges if we had full size images going up.)
    3: Would you like multiple sizes to cater for visiters different dialup
    speed/monitor resolution and if so what sizes?
    4: Please feel free to add any suggestions as to what a service like this
    "should" be supplying.

    Many thanks

    Russell Stewart
    Australian Digital Photo Of The Day
    [url]http://www.pixelpix.com.au/adpotd.html[/url]

    Russell Stewart Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Market Research (Online Photo Hosting)

    Hi Russell,

    The charges for the hosting service would to a part be the main thing
    that would govern what I would expect from it, with regard to the
    webspace, etc... webspace requirements, and price, depend greatly on
    the aim of the hosting service... is this a professional resource for
    potential clients to contact photographers, or a self esteem excercise
    for people who just want an online gallery??

    800 X 600 is a good starting point as an absolute maximum, size wise,
    that anyone should need... of course, you may be better with a pixel
    limit, so panorama shooters can be included... 800 X 160 ends up
    looking useless... :-) I quite like 700 on the longest edge as a bit
    of a go between from 600, which I see as possibly limiting on a 600 X
    400 image...

    Choice of viewing images at a small/medium/large size for different
    needs is a good idea - that helps keep the dialup users happy too...
    preferred size configured by the user, I would suggest...

    Question 4 depends greatly again on the target audience for the
    site... you need different info and a different feel for the
    appropriate service...

    Cheers,
    Stuart

    On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 22:19:37 +1000, "Russell Stewart"
    <adpotdpixelpix.com.au> wrote:
    >Hi Guys,
    >
    >If you think this post is too commercial please just ignore and don't
    >reply...
    >
    >I am thinking of starting a hosting service, with built in scripting for
    >automagic photo albums.... what I would like to know is what the markets
    >wants ie....
    >
    >1: How much webspace for each account?
    >2: How big would you like the images? (It will not be directly linked to
    >any processing service, so I do not see a need to upload the full size
    >files, I would hate to think of the hard disks that I would need, let alone
    >the bandwidth charges if we had full size images going up.)
    >3: Would you like multiple sizes to cater for visiters different dialup
    >speed/monitor resolution and if so what sizes?
    >4: Please feel free to add any suggestions as to what a service like this
    >"should" be supplying.
    >
    >Many thanks
    >
    >Russell Stewart
    >Australian Digital Photo Of The Day
    >[url]http://www.pixelpix.com.au/adpotd.html[/url]

    Stuart Elflett Guest

  3. #3

    "Stuart Elflett" <stuart(Don'tspamme)dataman.com.au> wrote in message
    > Hi Russell,
    >
    > The charges for the hosting service would to a part be the main thing
    > that would govern what I would expect from it, with regard to the
    > webspace, etc... webspace requirements, and price, depend greatly on
    > the aim of the hosting service... is this a professional resource for
    > potential clients to contact photographers, or a self esteem excercise
    > for people who just want an online gallery??
    I was thinking the later.... as a pro and former ISP owner I would never
    suggest that a pro goes with an "album" host, but rather they get their own
    domain and devolop their own site/corp. ID etc.... plus creating a site for
    pro's is just too hard and it already exists anyway....and they charge a
    truckload! :-(

    > 800 X 600 is a good starting point as an absolute maximum, size wise,
    > that anyone should need...
    agreed
    > of course, you may be better with a pixel
    > limit, so panorama shooters can be included... 800 X 160 ends up
    > looking useless... :-) I quite like 700 on the longest edge as a bit
    > of a go between from 600, which I see as possibly limiting on a 600 X
    > 400 image...
    ah... yes, the pano shooters... I will keep that in mind when I am talking
    to my code guru tonight.

    > Choice of viewing images at a small/medium/large size for different
    > needs is a good idea - that helps keep the dialup users happy too...
    > preferred size configured by the user, I would suggest...
    to much code me thinks for each user to config different sizes... I would
    rather just give them a thumbnail, then Sml, Med, Lge.

    > Question 4 depends greatly again on the target audience for the
    > site... you need different info and a different feel for the
    > appropriate service...
    I will consentrate towards the mass market, which will Mr and Mrs Joe
    Average and their P&S digicam.

    Thanks Stuart.

    Russell Stewart Guest

  4. #4

    Russell,

    If you want to start something that would probably make you some good money
    why don't you do something like [url]www.timeexposure.com[/url] but offer a commission
    basis rather than a monthly/quarterly flat fee. I am sure there is a big
    market out there for this but no-one in Australia seems to be doing it.
    Plenty in the US but sales are in US dollars so that would scare off
    potential buyers. Time Exposure have done a great job on the site but don't
    offer any type of commission setup...

    Cameron

    "Russell Stewart" <adpotdpixelpix.com.au> wrote in message
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > If you think this post is too commercial please just ignore and don't
    > reply...
    >
    > I am thinking of starting a hosting service, with built in scripting for
    > automagic photo albums.... what I would like to know is what the markets
    > wants ie....
    >
    > 1: How much webspace for each account?
    > 2: How big would you like the images? (It will not be directly linked to
    > any processing service, so I do not see a need to upload the full size
    > files, I would hate to think of the hard disks that I would need, let
    alone
    > the bandwidth charges if we had full size images going up.)
    > 3: Would you like multiple sizes to cater for visiters different dialup
    > speed/monitor resolution and if so what sizes?
    > 4: Please feel free to add any suggestions as to what a service like this
    > "should" be supplying.
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Russell Stewart
    > Australian Digital Photo Of The Day
    > [url]http://www.pixelpix.com.au/adpotd.html[/url]

    Cameron Guest

  5. #5

    "Cameron" <camlaird"NOSPAM"hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Russell,
    >
    > If you want to start something that would probably make you some good
    money
    > why don't you do something like [url]www.timeexposure.com[/url] but offer a
    commission
    > basis rather than a monthly/quarterly flat fee. I am sure there is a big
    > market out there for this but no-one in Australia seems to be doing it.
    > Plenty in the US but sales are in US dollars so that would scare off
    > potential buyers. Time Exposure have done a great job on the site but
    don't
    > offer any type of commission setup...
    >
    > Cameron
    Thanks Cameron,

    I had a quick look but it's not the kind of thing I was thinking about (too
    much work in that :-) I was thinking more along the lines of [url]www.pbase.com[/url]

  6. #6

    "Cameron" <camlaird"NOSPAM"hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Russell,
    >
    > If you want to start something that would probably make you some good
    money
    > why don't you do something like [url]www.timeexposure.com[/url] but offer a
    commission
    > basis rather than a monthly/quarterly flat fee. I am sure there is a big
    > market out there for this but no-one in Australia seems to be doing it.
    > Plenty in the US but sales are in US dollars so that would scare off
    > potential buyers. Time Exposure have done a great job on the site but
    don't
    > offer any type of commission setup...
    >
    > Cameron
    when I find someone really up on coding to help me .... :-) *sigh*

    VH-MR2 Guest

  7. #7

    On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 22:26:51 +1000, "VH-MR2"
    <sickoyouNOTREQUIREDZZZZZwarbirdz.net> wrote:

    >when I find someone really up on coding to help me .... :-) *sigh*

    pick me, pick me. ah ... you mean PHP (damn!)

    Oh well, one more language to learn ;)
    ChrisMc Guest

  8. #8

    "ChrisMc" <cmcclellauyahooSPAM.com.au> wrote in message
    > pick me, pick me. ah ... you mean PHP (damn!)
    >
    > Oh well, one more language to learn ;)
    that's proving quite difficult for me ... in the midst of everything else I
    must do

    VH-MR2 Guest