Professional Web Applications Themes

Marty,I Have Another Explain Plan Question - IBM DB2

I coded a query to explicity reference a column which is the first part of the key used to build the partition index. When I run an explain plan on the query, I don't see that the partitioning index is used. The explain plan seems to indicate that a table scan will be used. If the partioning index were to be used, would it show up in the plan table?...

  1. #1

    Default Marty,I Have Another Explain Plan Question

    I coded a query to explicity reference a column which is the first part
    of the key used to build the partition index. When I run an explain
    plan on the query, I don't see that the partitioning index is used. The
    explain plan seems to indicate that a table scan will be used.

    If the partioning index were to be used, would it show up in the plan table?

    Richard Winston Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mark,I Have Another Explain Plan Question

    Richard Winston wrote:
    > I coded a query to explicity reference a column which is the first part
    > of the key used to build the partition index. When I run an explain
    > plan on the query, I don't see that the partitioning index is used. The
    > explain plan seems to indicate that a table scan will be used.
    >

    > If the partioning index were to be used, would it show up in the plan
    > table?

    Sorry....I meant Mark !

    Richard Winston Guest

  3. #3

    "Richard Winston" <rwinstonNOPSPAM.ORG> wrote in message
    > Richard Winston wrote:
    >
    > > I coded a query to explicity reference a column which is the first part
    > > of the key used to build the partition index. When I run an explain
    > > plan on the query, I don't see that the partitioning index is used. The
    > > explain plan seems to indicate that a table scan will be used.
    > >

    > > If the partioning index were to be used, would it show up in the plan
    > > table?
    >
    > Sorry....I meant Mark !

    Yes, it would show up in the explain.

    But depending on the entire "where clause," DB2 might not be able to use the
    index. Also, make sure you do a reorg, runstats, and rebind to ensure that
    the best access plan is selected.

    Do you need a full or part-time consultant? I am available at the moment
    (either onsite or remote). No minimum amount of hours required.
    contact: infostar at qwest.net

    Mark A Guest

  4. #4

    Mark A wrote:
    > "Richard Winston" <rwinstonNOPSPAM.ORG> wrote in message
    >
    >>Richard Winston wrote:
    >>

    >>>I coded a query to explicity reference a column which is the first part
    >>>of the key used to build the partition index. When I run an explain
    >>>plan on the query, I don't see that the partitioning index is used. The
    >>>explain plan seems to indicate that a table scan will be used.
    >>>

    >>>If the partioning index were to be used, would it show up in the plan
    >>>table?
    >>
    >>Sorry....I meant Mark !
    >>

    > Yes, it would show up in the explain.
    >
    > But depending on the entire "where clause," DB2 might not be able to use the
    > index. Also, make sure you do a reorg, runstats, and rebind to ensure that
    > the best access plan is selected.
    >
    > Do you need a full or part-time consultant? I am available at the moment
    > (either onsite or remote). No minimum amount of hours required.
    > contact: infostar at qwest.net

    I only wish I were in a position to hire someone with your apparent
    knowledge. My company is in the midst of an outsourcing operation that
    will have them laying off our current DBAs. We'll probably pick up a
    DBA or two with the consulting firm, but no one knows right now when
    that will take place.

    If I hear that we're looking for anyone I'll certainly let you know.

    Richard Winston Guest

  5. #5

    > I only wish I were in a position to hire someone with your apparent
    > knowledge. My company is in the midst of an outsourcing operation that
    > will have them laying off our current DBAs. We'll probably pick up a
    > DBA or two with the consulting firm, but no one knows right now when
    > that will take place.
    >
    > If I hear that we're looking for anyone I'll certainly let you know.

    Thanks

    Mark A Guest