Professional Web Applications Themes

mask, paste inside, and what? - Macromedia Fireworks

Hi, I got a state map, a nice one (bitmap). Then I draw with the pen tool the outline of our county. Now I want to have the map reduced to whatever is inside the outline that I just drew with the pen tool. So, what I do is edit/cut the state map, then edit/paste inside and what I end up with is a little piece of the map inside the outline ... little piece as in some part shows, the other does not, to be exact, whatever is inside straight lines will not show, only where I had to ...

  1. #1

    Default mask, paste inside, and what?

    Hi,
    I got a state map, a nice one (bitmap). Then I draw with the pen tool the
    outline of our county. Now I want to have the map reduced to whatever is
    inside the outline that I just drew with the pen tool. So, what I do is
    edit/cut the state map, then edit/paste inside and what I end up with is a
    little piece of the map inside the outline ... little piece as in some part
    shows, the other does not, to be exact, whatever is inside straight lines
    will not show, only where I had to "squiggle" along the county line does the
    map show up.

    Help please!

    Barbara

    Barbara Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: mask, paste inside, and what?

    The outline you draw with the Pen tool must be a closed path. What that
    means is that it must go around the shape in one continuous line and the
    beginning point and edging point must be joined together.

    Linda Rathgeber
    Design Aid: 10-Palette Pack for Fireworks & Flash
    http://www.webdevbiz.com/graphics.cfm
    Playing with Fire | http://www.playingwithfire.com
    Victoriana | Theme Pack 03 - Club | http://www.projectseven.com
    Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | www.macromedia.com/go/team

    Linda Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Linda,
    Thanks for the answer, but how do you do this? Even if I go around with one
    contiuous stroke without letting go of the mouse button once, it turns into
    a dozends of little paths!
    How do I combine them?
    Sorry for being so dense :-(
    btw, I am using Fireworks 2004

    Barbara

    "Linda Rathgeber" <rr.com> wrote in message

    Barbara Guest

  4. #4

    In article <bvm4mf$5l$macromedia.com>,
    "Barbara Picard" <com> wrote:

    Sounds like you were using the Pencil tool, not the Pen tool. Hover your
    mouse over a tool and wait for the tooltip to tell you what it is.

    With the Pen tool, click a series of straight lines around your county.
    Doubleclick to connect the last point to the first point, to form a
    closed object.

    You might want to review Kim's new Pen tutorial here:
    http://www.communitymx.com/abstract.cfm?cid=A15CFD250F9D01EF

    --
    Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
    http://www.hummingbirds.net/

  5. #5

    Hi Lanny,
    No, I actually was using the Pen Tool under the Vector Tools, however, that
    does happen to me all the time that I get dozends of little lines when I use
    the Pen, even if I go only a short distance in a straight line ... it did
    NOT happen under Fireworks MX, or whatever the previous version before the
    2004 was called.
    Can it have something to do with my wireless mouse? Or a setting that I am
    not getting right?
    I have to do about 6 counties in outline, it would be a great help if I
    would know what I am doing wrong here.
    Thanks!

    Barbara

    "Lanny Chambers" wrote

    Barbara Guest

  7. #7

    Hi
    The tutorial that Lanny had posted done it ... I worked my way to page 5
    (which is exactly what I want to do), and midway through that tutorial came
    the magic words "... until the little o appears!" ... my shape was never
    closed! doooh! I didn't magnify far enough to ever see the little o appear.
    It worked like a charm!
    I also need more coffee, new glasses, and should get a full night of sleep
    before I sit down to do something like this.

    Thank you so much!
    Barbara

    "Linda Rathgeber" wrote [/ref]
    that [/ref]