Professional Web Applications Themes

Master page has text added automaticalllywhen I flow text to a new page that is based on it - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

Have the Adobe software engineers addressed this problem yet. I have a 200-page doent that I've been fighting with for weeks. It is a doent I use daily to retrieve various product descriptions. Now I can't reach copy in the overset area because adding pages results in a repetition of the doent's last page. I've tried creating new doents, overriding all master page items and detaching all objects, creating new master pages and doing everything else I can think of. My current probably has a couple of hundred hyperlinks in it as well, so rebuilding will be time consuming and ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Master page has text added automaticalllywhen I flow text to a new page that is based on it

    Have the Adobe software engineers addressed this problem yet. I have a 200-page doent that I've been fighting with for weeks. It is a doent I use daily to retrieve various product descriptions. Now I can't reach copy in the overset area because adding pages results in a repetition of the doent's last page. I've tried creating new doents, overriding all master page items and detaching all objects, creating new master pages and doing everything else I can think of. My current probably has a couple of hundred hyperlinks in it as well, so rebuilding will be time consuming and frustrating, especially if it is all for naught with the same problem recurring.
    Thanks
    Eric_Ortner@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Yup, fixed in the 4.04 update.
    Fred_Goldman@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Yup, fixed in the 4.04 update.

    However, I'm guessing that an existing doent which has the problem will probably not automatically get fixed by opening it in 4.0.4.
    Peter_Truskier@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I just ran into this problem myself and am downloading the 4.0.4 update to resolve, but it does raise a question many at our company have had since recently making the switch to InDesign.

    Coming from Quark, we had an easy time setting master page templates with multiple linked text boxes. We were able to copy and paste text into these boxes without breaking links to the master, allowing us to easily adjust layout when necessary.

    Does anyone know the reasons why InDesign makes this so much more difficult? It seems we can now only maintain the link to master pages by placing text and allowing it to autoflow through the doent.

    I ask in this forum because the IT trainer we had said essentially the same thing as Scott Keeney

    One thing you can do is avoid using text frames on your master pages whenever
    possible (InDesign will still flow your text using the area within the
    margin guides).

    Patrick_Fredrickson@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Do you mean, in Quark, you can place text in a master-page text frame, and then you can later change the size of the text frame in the master page, and all the text frames that are on pages that have that master applied will change?
    Fred_Goldman@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Exactly. Placing text into the text frame does not break the link to the master page so making changes on the master page adjusts all text frames with that master applied.

    We use it for setting object labels and text panels (we are an exhibition design department) where there are often various column widths or rows of text.
    Patrick_Fredrickson@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    That's a great feature. I could certainly use it, however, you and I are in the minority. These days most publications are one text (sometimes with footnotes). Multiple texts are unusual.

    Having said that, you might want to look into scripting. If you were to give a label to the text frames you could probably use a script to change their sizes.
    Fred_Goldman@adobeforums.com Guest