Professional Web Applications Themes

Master page settings don't appear when previewing a Publsher webpa - Web Design

I've set up a master page with graphics, footers, navigation bars, etc., and have applied it to all the pages in my .PUB project. I can view all the master page settings on each of the pages in my project when in design mode, but when I opt to preview my web pages in a browser, only those elements defined for the individual pages appear. None of the master page elements appear. I've searched help to see if there's a setting I need to turn on, but nothing jumps out as obvious. Does anyone else have this issue or am ...

  1. #1

    Default Master page settings don't appear when previewing a Publsher webpa

    I've set up a master page with graphics, footers, navigation bars, etc., and
    have applied it to all the pages in my .PUB project. I can view all the
    master page settings on each of the pages in my project when in design mode,
    but when I opt to preview my web pages in a browser, only those elements
    defined for the individual pages appear. None of the master page elements
    appear.

    I've searched help to see if there's a setting I need to turn on, but
    nothing jumps out as obvious.

    Does anyone else have this issue or am I just one of a kind?
    SamFelis Guest

  2. #2

    Nope, you may be a very special person, but you are not unique. Here is the
    reply from yesterday's question:

    Here is a past post from our local MVP:

    "A master page is where you place objects that appear on all pages. It is by
    design for a print publication and not a web publication. While some have
    reported to have used a master page in their web publication, I recommend
    against it's use in a web publication. There have been issues from customers
    that have been traced back to that and in my own testing I have found issues
    with the way a web publication will write links from a master page objects.
    I recommend that you use the option to copy all objects on a page when you
    insert a new page in order to carry objects across all pages. Or to just
    group them and copy/paste them across."

    David Bartosik - [MSFT MVP]
    www.publishermvps.com
    www.davidbartosik.com

    I am afraid you need to dump the master page...DavidF

    "SamFelis" <microsoft.com> wrote in message
    and
    mode,

    DavidF Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Master page settings don't appear when previewing a Publsher w

    Thanks, David.

    And here I thought I was doing something wrong! Good thing I didn't waste
    the rest of the weekend trying to figure this one out!

    Cheers -
    Sam

    "DavidF" wrote:

    > and
    > mode,
    >

    >[/ref]
    SamFelis Guest

  4. #4

    I have five emails listed on the bottom of each of my 25 pages on my website.
    So if I get a new addy to put on there or have to change one I can't simply
    go to one place, make my changes, then have them show up on every page? I
    have to go to each page, copy one of the email buttons, reposition the button
    bar so it's still center, edit the text and then edit the hyperlink? On
    every single page?!?!
    How can I avoid this? How can I make a button bar and have all the buttons
    show on every page and if I need to change them all I change one?

    If master page isn't supported it shouldn't be there.

    "SamFelis" wrote:

    > > and
    > > mode,
    > >

    > >[/ref][/ref]
    J9Darkwing Guest

  5. #5

    Its there for dtp.

    But you can do what you are asking in a program designed to design
    webs...like Photoshop. You could do this with; dwt, or included pages,
    shared borders, or parameters.

    Rob Guest

  6. #6

    Rob,

    I am betting that you meant to say FrontPage instead of Photoshop...yes?

    DavidF

    "Rob Giordano (Crash)" <invalid> wrote in message

    It
    found
    when
    all

    DavidF Guest

  7. #7

    J9Darkwing,

    As you already know, the master page feature just doesn't seem to work well
    in most cases, in most web publications, and is probably best reserved for
    use with print publications. You have also discovered that making universal
    changes across every page in a Publisher produced site can be difficult, and
    illustrates one of the limitations of Publisher, and the fact that Publisher
    is best used for smaller, basic, static websites. As Rob indicated, as your
    site gets larger, and more complicated, you may need to consider switching
    to a more appropriate application such as FrontPage. With that said, there
    are some less than perfect work-arounds.

    A faster way of making changes to your email buttons, would be to make the
    changes you want to the first page, then select and group each of the
    buttons, and copy the group. You can select each object by holding down your
    left mouse button and 'drawing' a box around each of the objects, then
    clicking the group objects icon that appears at the bottom of that box you
    just drew. Alternatively, hold down your Ctrl key, and left click each
    object, and then group. After copying the group, then switch to your second
    page, select the same objects and immediately paste. All the objects will be
    replaced with the group you copied from the first page, and positioned the
    same as the first page. Go to each successive page and repeat.

    Another work-around the limitations of using Publisher to build your
    multipage site is to build your site with multiple Publisher files. I
    switched to this approach as my site built with Pub 2000 grew too large to
    manage within one Pub file. I probably should have switched to FrontPage,
    but I didn't for a number of reasons...one being stubborn, but also I like
    being able to use common design elements from my print publications and
    easily integrate my marketing efforts in my business. I also didn't want to
    have to buy and learn another application, and rebuild my site. Here is an
    article David Bartosik wrote that explains this approach. Just ignore the
    reference to Pub 2000...the principles are the same:
    http://publishermvps.com/Default.aspx?tabid=81

    DavidF

    "J9Darkwing" <microsoft.com> wrote in message
    website.
    simply
    button
    buttons [/ref]
    waste [/ref][/ref]
    is the [/ref][/ref]
    is by [/ref][/ref]
    have [/ref][/ref]
    recommend [/ref][/ref]
    customers [/ref][/ref]
    issues [/ref][/ref]
    objects. [/ref][/ref]
    you [/ref][/ref]
    just [/ref][/ref]
    etc., [/ref][/ref]
    the [/ref][/ref]
    design [/ref][/ref]
    elements [/ref][/ref]
    elements [/ref][/ref]
    but [/ref][/ref]

    DavidF Guest

  8. #8

    dANG...you're correct I meant FP...switched from Acrylic NG to here too
    quickly :-)

    "DavidF" <com> wrote in message
    | Rob,
    |
    | I am betting that you meant to say FrontPage instead of Photoshop...yes?
    |
    | DavidF
    |
    | "Rob Giordano (Crash)" <invalid> wrote in message
    | > Its there for dtp.
    | >
    | > But you can do what you are asking in a program designed to design
    | > webs...like Photoshop. You could do this with; dwt, or included pages,
    | > shared borders, or parameters.
    | >

    | > "J9Darkwing" <microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > |I have five emails listed on the bottom of each of my 25 pages on my
    | > website.
    | > | So if I get a new addy to put on there or have to change one I can't
    | > simply
    | > | go to one place, make my changes, then have them show up on every
    page?
    | > | have to go to each page, copy one of the email buttons, reposition the
    | > button
    | > | bar so it's still center, edit the text and then edit the hyperlink?
    On
    | > | every single page?!?!
    | > | How can I avoid this? How can I make a button bar and have all the
    | > buttons
    | > | show on every page and if I need to change them all I change one?
    | > |
    | > | If master page isn't supported it shouldn't be there.
    | > |
    | > |