Professional Web Applications Themes

Masters based on other Masters - maintaining attributes - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hi. I'm using Windows XP with InDesign CS. I want to be able to create 100+ page books in InDesign, and they need to have separate chapters. I was really pleased to discover that you can base a new Master page on an old one, and changes to the first Master are updated on the new Master. That's great. Problem: What I'm trying to do is to create chapters with different headings. I want to be able to have a new Master for each chapter, with different text on each, but I want the text style (size, font etc) and ...

  1. #1

    Default Masters based on other Masters - maintaining attributes

    Hi. I'm using Windows XP with InDesign CS.

    I want to be able to create 100+ page books in InDesign, and they need to have separate chapters. I was really pleased to discover that you can base a new Master page on an old one, and changes to the first Master are updated on the new Master. That's great.

    Problem:
    What I'm trying to do is to create chapters with different headings. I want to be able to have a new Master for each chapter, with different text on each, but I want the text style (size, font etc) and position to update from the original Master page. This way I don't have to change all my Master pages if the client doesn't like the font or something.
    InDesign Help claims that you can do this, but when I use Ctrl-Shift to grab and change the Master object, it no longer updates from the original Master.

    Does that make any sense at all?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Carly_Hudson@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    You want to look into defining Character Styles and Paragraph Styles. Master pages that would be used only once are not efficent. Make one master for normal text pages (double-sided is printing double-sides) and one master for starting chapters. Put a dummy chapter head on that master and format the text using a paragraph style. Changing the formatting of all chapter heads would be as simple as changing the style's definition. Or, in a huge improvement over QuarkXPress (4, the last I used extensively), reformat a chapter head in position, then press Control+Shift+R. This redefines the Paragraph Style based on the changes to the selected text. Pretty slick.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for your help Scott.
    That's one way to work around the problem, and I'll probably do it that way.

    But InDesign does claim that you can change some attributes of text on child Masters, and still have its other attributes update from the original Master.

    Any ideas? Is this a bug?
    Carly_Hudson@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I think you can change the attributes of the text frame and, so long as the frame was not modified on the page, the changes to the master will propigate to the page. But once you've touched the text that's going to belong to the page, format, content, and all.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest