Professional Web Applications Themes

matlab and remote X11 - Mac Applications & Software

i've got matlab on my mac with OS X.2 and X11 beta 3. run locally it works just fine. but when i try to ssh in from a 2nd mac using X11 and the -X flag on ssh i can't seem to run matlab remotely. it just quits with no error message after a few seconds. no windows even pop up. from that same 2nd mac using ssh -X and X11 i can run matlab remotely on a linux box no problem. anyone have any ideas as to why it won't work on a mac remotely? thanks, ben...

  1. #1

    Default matlab and remote X11

    i've got matlab on my mac with OS X.2 and X11 beta 3. run locally it
    works just fine. but when i try to ssh in from a 2nd mac using X11
    and the -X flag on ssh i can't seem to run matlab remotely. it just
    quits with no error message after a few seconds. no windows even pop
    up. from that same 2nd mac using ssh -X and X11 i can run matlab
    remotely on a linux box no problem. anyone have any ideas as to why
    it won't work on a mac remotely?

    thanks,

    ben
    ben Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: matlab and remote X11

    On 30 Sep 2003 18:59:39 -0700, ben arthur wrote:

    The problem is not with matlab but with Apple's installation of ssh. I'm
    not sure of all the details here, because I haven't been through this
    myself, but I can tell you where to look.

    In order for X11 forwarding to work, two processes have to cooperate.
    One is ssh running on the local machine, and that part works ok, provided
    you use the ssh -X option or (equivalently) have a line reading

    ForwardX11 yes

    in your ~/.ssh/config file.

    The other process that has to participate is sshd (the ssh daemon) that
    is running on the remote machine that you are connecting to. In order
    for this to happen, X11 forwarding must be enabled in /etc/sshd_config.
    If you examine this file on your Mac, you will find a commented line

    #X11Forwarding no

    and therefore, at the very least, you would need to uncomment this line
    and change the "no" to "yes". However -- and here is the catch -- I have
    heard that Apple's sshd won't support this option even if you enable it
    in the configuration file. I can't remember whether there is an easy
    workaround for this or not.

    On the other hand, you might investigate the version of openssh that is
    offered by fink. If you are already using X11, then you probably know
    what fink is, but it's at fink.sf.net. I think this version might work
    better than the Apple version for what you are trying to do.

    --
    Dave Seaman
    Judge Yohn's mistakes revealed in Mumia Abu-Jamal ruling.

  3. #3

    In article <bldg11$h6t$cc.purdue.edu>, Dave Seaman
    <such.host> wrote:

    X11 forwarding works fine (at least for me!) with OS X's ssh once you
    make the appropriate changes to the config files.

    Running MATLAB on an OS X box remotely is slightly tricky---make sure
    you use the -nojvm switch on the command line.
    Lot-o-fun Guest

  4. #4

    but if you use the -nojvm switch, then matlab runs in text only mode:
    no figures can be displayed. and if that's the case, then X11 isn't
    needed. yet if X11 forwarding really works, as you say, then what is
    it about java that breaks it? i'd really like to use matlab to
    remotely display figures.

    ben

    ben Guest

  5. #5

    In article <google.com>, ben
    arthur <edu> wrote:

    When I use the -nojvm switch, then the basic MATLAB interface is text
    mode, but figures are displayed.
    Lot-o-fun Guest

  6. #6

    On 2003-10-01, ben arthur <edu> wrote:

    X11 forwarding works fine in osx, but I believe Apple's Java gui
    (awt/swing) implementation is designed to use Aqua only and has no
    support for X11.

    You could use vnc.

    Hugh Guest

  7. #7

    In article <dsl.bbn.com>, Hugh Wolf
    <lieder.de> wrote:

    > You could use vnc.[/ref]

    I repeat---MATLAB displays figures just fine using plain old X11. Just
    start it with the -nojvm switch.
    Lot-o-fun Guest

  8. #8

    > I repeat---MATLAB displays figures just fine using plain old X11. Just

    have you tried this: on a mac, in an X11 terminal, ssh -X into
    another mac, run matlab -nojvm on this remote mac. for me, the
    standard text interface starts up fine. but whey i type "figure", no
    figure window pops up. nor do any plots show up from scripts which
    normally generate them. everything works just fine if i run matlab
    locally from an X11 terminal. just not when i use ssh to run it on a
    remote machine.

    ben
    ben Guest

  9. #9

    On 3 Oct 2003 08:32:07 -0700, ben arthur wrote: [/ref]

    What happens if you use ssh -X to connect to another Mac and then launch
    an xterm (or any X11 app that you have handy) on that Mac?

    You do need sshd on the remote Mac to support X11 forwarding. That has
    nothing to do with whether you used ssh -X on the local machine.

  10. #10

    In article <google.com>, ben
    arthur <edu> wrote:

    > have you tried this: on a mac, in an X11 terminal, ssh -X into
    > another mac, run matlab -nojvm on this remote mac. for me, the
    > standard text interface starts up fine. but whey i type "figure", no
    > figure window pops up. nor do any plots show up from scripts which
    > normally generate them. everything works just fine if i run matlab
    > locally from an X11 terminal. just not when i use ssh to run it on a
    > remote machine.[/ref]

    Works perfectly. Like Dave Seaman, said, make sure that X11 forwarding
    is supported on the remote machine.
    Lot-o-fun Guest

  11. #11

    oops. my bad. for some reason it didn't occur to me earlier that i
    would need to reboot my machine after editing sshd_config to enable
    X11Forwarding. all works fine now with remotely running matlab.

    ben
    ben Guest