Professional Web Applications Themes

Maximum size of a NTFS partition under W2003 32bit - Windows Server

Hello everybody, What is the maximum size of a NTFS partition under W2003 32 bit? Is it 2 TB? If not, is there any solution to go over? Many thanks in advance. Bruno....

  1. #1

    Default Maximum size of a NTFS partition under W2003 32bit

    Hello everybody,

    What is the maximum size of a NTFS partition under W2003
    32 bit?

    Is it 2 TB?

    If not, is there any solution to go over?

    Many thanks in advance.

    Bruno.

    Brunoz Guest

  2. #2

    Hi,

    Maximum Sizes on NTFS Volumes depends on cluster size.

    Maximum volume and partition sizes start at 2 terabytes (TB) and range
    upward. For example, a dynamic disk formatted with a standard allocation
    unit size (4 KB) can have partitions of 16 TB minus 4 KB.

    Unider WinXP

    In theory, the maximum NTFS volume size is 264 clusters minus 1 cluster.
    However, the maximum NTFS volume size as implemented in Windows XP
    Professional is 232 clusters minus 1 cluster. For example, using 64-KB
    clusters, the maximum NTFS volume size is 256 terabytes minus 64 KB. Using
    the default cluster size of 4 KB, the maximum NTFS volume size is 16
    terabytes minus 4 KB.

    Mike

    "Brunoz" <anonymousdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello everybody,
    >
    > What is the maximum size of a NTFS partition under W2003
    > 32 bit?
    >
    > Is it 2 TB?
    >
    > If not, is there any solution to go over?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance.
    >
    > Bruno.

    Miha Pihler Guest

  3. #3

    So... what you're saying, is it's a lot :)

    "Miha Pihler" <mihap-newsatlantis.si> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Maximum Sizes on NTFS Volumes depends on cluster size.
    >
    > Maximum volume and partition sizes start at 2 terabytes (TB) and range
    > upward. For example, a dynamic disk formatted with a standard allocation
    > unit size (4 KB) can have partitions of 16 TB minus 4 KB.
    >
    > Unider WinXP
    >
    > In theory, the maximum NTFS volume size is 264 clusters minus 1 cluster.
    > However, the maximum NTFS volume size as implemented in Windows XP
    > Professional is 232 clusters minus 1 cluster. For example, using 64-KB
    > clusters, the maximum NTFS volume size is 256 terabytes minus 64 KB. Using
    > the default cluster size of 4 KB, the maximum NTFS volume size is 16
    > terabytes minus 4 KB.

    TheSingingCat Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Mike,

    Thank you for your answer and explanation.

    You talk about theory but did you test a partition over 2
    TB because
    under W2000 server with a standard allocation, the
    maximum size is 2 TB (I have tested this) and I need to
    know (for a digitalized video storage application) that
    under W2003 server 32 bit we can go over.

    Many thanks.

    Bruno.

    BrunoZ Guest

  5. #5

    The information that I provided is collected from Microsoft web site. I
    never tested anything beyond 2 TB...

    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > Thank you for your answer and explanation.
    >
    > You talk about theory but did you test a partition over 2
    > TB because
    > under W2000 server with a standard allocation, the
    > maximum size is 2 TB (I have tested this) and I need to
    > know (for a digitalized video storage application) that
    > under W2003 server 32 bit we can go over.
    >
    > Many thanks.
    >
    > Bruno.

    Miha Pihler Guest

  6. #6

    OK fine.

    Thank you.

    Bruno.

    Bruno Guest

  7. #7

    Bruno,

    On one of my test servers I currently have a number of 4-6 TB partitions
    with no problems.

    David

    David Guest

  8. #8

    This maybe helps:

    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q93496[/url]

    It is for sure not less than for Windows 2000.

    --
    Regards,
    Kristofer Gafvert - IIS MVP

    "Brunoz" <anonymousdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello everybody,
    >
    > What is the maximum size of a NTFS partition under W2003
    > 32 bit?
    >
    > Is it 2 TB?
    >
    > If not, is there any solution to go over?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance.
    >
    > Bruno.

    Kristofer Gafvert Guest

  9. #9

    Bruno

    In order to reach over 2TB you will need to convert to dynamic disks, and
    use spanning or striping. You can have up to 32 dynamic disks, giving you a
    maximum of 64TB.

    Best regards

    Bjorn
    --
    Bjorn Landemoo - [email]mvp2landemoo.com[/email] - [url]http://landemoo.com/[/url]
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)

    Bjorn Landemoo Guest