Professional Web Applications Themes

Maxxum 7D firmware upgrade 1.10 - Photography

Corrected problem details: 1. Added the remote storage function which can be used in combination with the DiMAGE Transfer software. 2. Speeded up its access to a memory card. This improvement shortens the writing speed to the memory card and USB data transfer speed. *Effect varies depending on the memory card. 3. Added enlarged display function in both the histogram display and the index display in playback mode. 4. Added luminance limit display function in the histogram display in instant playback. 5. Modified the "No memory card" warning indication. 6. Modified the following problems: 1. External flash fires with its ...

  1. #1

    Default Maxxum 7D firmware upgrade 1.10

    Corrected problem details:

    1. Added the remote storage function which can be used in
    combination with the DiMAGE Transfer software.
    2. Speeded up its access to a memory card. This improvement shortens
    the writing speed to the memory card and USB data transfer speed.
    *Effect varies depending on the memory card.
    3. Added enlarged display function in both the histogram display and
    the index display in playback mode.
    4. Added luminance limit display function in the histogram display
    in instant playback.
    5. Modified the "No memory card" warning indication.
    6. Modified the following problems:
    1. External flash fires with its full power in rare cases.
    2. Camera freezes after self-timer recording in rare cases.

    Let's hope that they mean fixed rather than modified...

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05021406km7dfw110.asp

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminolta7d/ is updated to reflect
    the changes.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Maxxum 7D firmware upgrade 1.10

    Alan Browne wrote:

    Okay, well, I guess the salesperson has one more task to accomplish
    before I buy one, or they can discount my 7D if I'm gonna update it myself.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

  3. #3

    On 27 Feb 2005 10:46:13 -0800, "Alan Browne" <com>
    wrote:

    Thanks for the post Alan. Just updated mine this morning.
    Everything went fine.

    Joe

    stator Guest

  4. #4

    stator wrote:

    It would be nice to hear from you if the transfer speeds or flash write/read
    speeds have improved...

    Cheers,
    Alan
    Alan Guest

  5. #5

    stator wrote:

    > Thanks for the post Alan. Just updated mine this morning.
    > Everything went fine.[/ref]

    Second that! Updated mine as well, also no problems. Haven't done much
    shooting since, but think I'm seeing a write speed increase even on my
    Hitachi 4GB microdrive. I do like the addition of the clipping
    indicator blinking in the instant review.

    Bob ^,,^

    Bob Guest

  6. #6

    Bonjour,

    > Second that! Updated mine as well, also no problems. Haven't done much[/ref]

    Same here, updated without a problem, runs fine, I also appreciate the clip
    blink in preview.

    I still dont understand why pictures shot with the onboard flash are almost
    always very underxposed...

    Kind regards,
    --
    Stéphane Guillard

    Stéphane Guest

  7. #7

    "Alan Browne" <ca> wrote in message
    > It would be nice to hear from you if the transfer speeds or flash[/ref]
    write/read

    Well, the write speeds seem a bit faster...but I must admit, I don't really
    pay all that much attention to the write times. The onboard flash still seem
    to underexpose indoor subjects at about 4 meters away. Increasing the flash
    output corrects this but it seems to be a hit-and-miss thing.
    The no-card flashing bar is a nice addition....as I am guily=ty of snapping
    a couple of photos one day and didn't notice there was no CF card in the
    camera until I went to preview the images.

    Joe

    simon Guest

  8. #8

    simon wrote:

    Jeez. You'd think they'd simply lock the shutter.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Guest

  9. #9

    Jer wrote:

    Given the complexity of todays DSLR's we are to be thankful that the firmware
    can be upgraded after the camera is sold. Just about every new DSLR in the last
    couple years has gone through this cycle.

    Some of the fixes are "fixes" to bugs that have shown up. Some of the "fixes"
    are enhancements such as the remote storage function, improved displays and
    "luminance limit" ('clipping') display. In the days of yore, once a camera was
    out and their was a firmware glitch, unless there was no reasonable workaround,
    you were stuck with it... the companies were very reluctant to reach a 'recall'
    decision.

    Upgrading the firmware is fairly effortless (as stator, Bob Harington and
    Stéphane Guillard will attest).

    Finally, if you do buy one, it is not imperative that you do the upgrade right
    away. Enjoy the camera for a few days and then during an upload to the
    computer, DL the upgrade and install it.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Guest

  10. #10

    "Alan Browne" <ca> wrote in message
    "fixes"
    and
    camera was
    workaround,
    'recall'

    Alan, at the risk or showing my ignorance here, can you elaborate as to the
    function of the "remote storage" and why it is important? Does that have
    anything to do with attaching the camera to the pc via the usb cable?
    I usually take the card out of the camera and use my dedicated CF reader.

    Regards,
    Joe

    simon Guest

  11. #11

    simon wrote:

    You're way ahead of me already and probably close to the mark. I think it means
    you don't store on the CF, but on the remote computer via the USB as you shoot.
    Could be useful in the studio if the USB cable is long enough.

    (Would be nice if this could be done wirelessly).

    http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/main/kmpi/content/cam/cam_SupportCenter/SoftwareResults

    "This is an update to the Maxxum 7D firmware. This firmware is for use only with
    the Maxxum 7D and cannot be used with other products. The update does not work
    correctly if it is installed in other products. *Corrected problem details: 1.
    Added the remote storage function which can be used in combination with the
    DiMAGE Transfer software. 2. Speeded up its access to a memory card. This
    improvement shortens the writing speed to the memory card and USB data transfer
    speed. *Effect varies depending on the memory card. 3. Added enlarged display
    function in both the histogram display and the index display in playback mode.
    4. Added luminance limit display function in the histogram display in instant
    playback. 5. Modified the "No memory card" warning indication. 6. Modified the
    following problems: - External flash fires with its full power in rare cases. -
    Camera freezes after self-timer recording in rare cases."

    Pretty sp.

    Alan Guest

  12. #12

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > Given the complexity of todays DSLR's we are to be thankful that the
    > firmware can be upgraded after the camera is sold. Just about every
    > new DSLR in the last couple years has gone through this cycle.
    >
    > Some of the fixes are "fixes" to bugs that have shown up. Some of
    > the "fixes" are enhancements such as the remote storage function,
    > improved displays and "luminance limit" ('clipping') display. In the
    > days of yore, once a camera was out and their was a firmware glitch,
    > unless there was no reasonable workaround, you were stuck with it...
    > the companies were very reluctant to reach a 'recall' decision.
    >
    > Upgrading the firmware is fairly effortless (as stator, Bob Harington
    > and Stéphane Guillard will attest).
    >
    > Finally, if you do buy one, it is not imperative that you do the
    > upgrade right away. Enjoy the camera for a few days and then during
    > an upload to the computer, DL the upgrade and install it.[/ref]

    Chances are that a newly purchased Maxxum may well already have the
    v1.10 firmware installed in manufacture; easy to check - turn on the
    camera, press the 'Menu' button, then press the 'Display' button to
    display the camera's 'About' dialog...

    While I took my time doing the upgrade here, carefully reading the docs
    and then reading them again, it was in reality so simple that next time
    I could probably do the whole process from downloading the patch to
    upgrading the camera in just a couple-three minutes.

    It really is nice having the ability to upgrade a camera the same way I
    can upgrade Photoshop or a flight sim! Now I'm wondering if K-M might
    be able to tweak the software to allow ~full~ use of my old Minolta
    4000AF flash with the 7D...

    Bob ^,,^

    Bob Guest

  13. #13

    simon wrote:
    >> It would be nice to hear from you if the transfer speeds or flash
    >> write/read speeds have improved...
    >> Alan[/ref]
    >
    > Well, the write speeds seem a bit faster...but I must admit, I don't
    > really pay all that much attention to the write times. The onboard
    > flash still seem to underexpose indoor subjects at about 4 meters
    > away. Increasing the flash output corrects this but it seems to be a
    > hit-and-miss thing.
    > The no-card flashing bar is a nice addition....as I am guily=ty of
    > snapping a couple of photos one day and didn't notice there was no CF
    > card in the camera until I went to preview the images.[/ref]

    I had some disappointing flash results early on here as well. Since my
    lenses are about 12 years old and not all Minolta brand, I found that
    setting the flash mode to 'Pre-flashTTL' instead of the default 'ADI
    flash' seemed to help a lot. It's not absolutely clear from reading the
    manual, but I gather the ADI mode uses distance information from their
    newer 'D' series lenses to calculate power output - I'm thinking that my
    older lenses either don't provide any such distance info to the camera,
    or provide it in an incompatible way.

    The best part is, once you have it set in pre-flash TTL mode and you are
    using the camera flash, and given a dark enough room - you will get an
    amazing display of pyrotechnics as the flash first buzzes out a focus
    assist, then does the pre exposure strobe to get its bearings, and at
    last fires the flash for the actual exposure. As an added bonus, by
    this point your subject will at the very least be guaranteed to have a
    look of "what the...?" on their face; much more likely - if they haven't
    fled the room altogether - their now blind eyes will be closed tight and
    they might even be flashing you a bird or two of their own... ;^)

    Bob ^,,^

    Bob Guest

  14. #14

    Bob Harrington wrote:

    Unfortunately no, for a couple reasons. One is that for flash, there needs be a
    pre-flash as the OTF-TTL cannot work with a digital sensor. So the preflash
    uses the 14 segment meter to preset the flash duration. The older flashes
    simply are not able to do pre-flash. (Not even the 5400HS, damnit, at least I
    also have a 5600HS).

    I suppose you can do manually flash metered shots with the 4000... though that
    is a flash I have no knowledge of... just get a flash meter.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Guest

  15. #15

    That seems to work better for me also.

    My dog just shuts his eyes until the light show is over
    :-)

    Joe

    stator Guest

  16. #16

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > Unfortunately no, for a couple reasons. One is that for flash, there
    > needs be a pre-flash as the OTF-TTL cannot work with a digital
    > sensor. So the preflash uses the 14 segment meter to preset the
    > flash duration. The older flashes simply are not able to do
    > pre-flash. (Not even the 5400HS, damnit, at least I also have a
    > 5600HS).[/ref]

    Makes sense. Durnit.

    It does work in manual mode, quickest way I've found is just trial and
    error - film's cheap - it's a really nice flash, very powerful - had fun
    one night overexposing the roof on a building half a block away with an
    f/1.4 lens at ISO 3200... The 4000AF's auto zooming flash head even
    still works with the 7D.

    But with as little flash photography as I normally do, it will suffice
    until I can sell the cat into prostitution to cover a 5600HS...

    Bob ^,,^

    Bob Guest