Professional Web Applications Themes

MBR Question - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I attended the Linux World Expo and picked up a free copy of Xandros v2, which I decided to put on my XP box (HD is 8 gig- XP is on 4 gig partition (C drive), Xandros installed to remaining Unallocated free space). After nemerous attempts to try to get it to work (It installed OK, but always froze when trying to log on for first time), I decided to forget about it and deleted the Linux Partition. Every time the machine boots, it goes the the 'XANDROS' OS menu (Xandros as default, XP number 4). If no choice is ...

  1. #1

    Default MBR Question

    I attended the Linux World Expo and picked up a free copy of Xandros v2,
    which I decided to put on my XP box (HD is 8 gig- XP is on 4 gig partition
    (C drive), Xandros installed to remaining Unallocated free space).
    After nemerous attempts to try to get it to work (It installed OK, but
    always froze when trying to log on for first time), I decided to forget
    about it and deleted the Linux Partition.
    Every time the machine boots, it goes the the 'XANDROS' OS menu (Xandros as
    default, XP number 4). If no choice is made, it still went to the Xandros
    Screen -
    Preparing Desktop
    Initializing Kernel......
    I have deleted and reformatted the drive using Partition Magic and reloaded
    an image of my XP drive from 2 weeks before, but it still gives me the OS
    menu (w Xandros as the default).
    This is a pain when I try to run operations that reboot upon completion, and
    if I'm not there, goes into "Xandros Mode" and sits till I can get to it and
    reboot and select XP"
    Does this have something to do with the MBR for the disk and how can I fix
    it so it removes Xandros from the menu?
    FWIW....
    When it boots up, there's a quick line "LILO....." that flashes for second
    before the OS menu choices appear.

    LV

    This Message Composed with 100% Recycled Electrons
    Outgoing Email certified Virus Free

    Larry Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: MBR Question

    Why wouldn't you post this question to a Linux news group as
    installing/removing the same is what ed with your computer. They claim
    to have thousands of knowledgeable people developing for Linux. Why not pick
    their brains and ask them why they don't make their system more user
    friendly. I tried it 3 years ago. Had a similar problem. I haven't touched
    since!

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old Bstard :-)

    "Larry" <LVenickATcomcastDOTnet> wrote in message
    as
    reloaded
    and
    and

    Richard Guest

  3. #3

    Larry wrote:

    _________________________________
    Hi!
    You need to do a low-level partition and format using the specific
    utility available on your HD manufacturer's site.
    --
    Cheers,
    Robert

  4. #4

    Richard Urban wrote:

    You mindless windose people amaze me

    Simple load windose boot loader,

    format /mbr comes to mind.

    Another clueless windows troll.
    Baho Guest

  5. #5

  6. #6

    In comp.os.linux.setup Baho Utot <org> wrote:

    You mean fdisk /mbr
    Davide

    --
    | Q: Why is Microsoft's Product Support a failure? A: Because Microsoft
    | needs a Support Group instead.

    Davide Guest

  7. #7

    Richard Urban <com> wrote:

    Hu? Just another M$-OE top-posting idiot. All you need to do is AFAIR:

    fdisk /mbr

    But then, haven't used M$ stuff for ages.

    --
    Michael Heiming

    inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM
    Michael Guest

  8. #8

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 07:46:39 -0800,
    Robert <com> wrote: [/ref]

    I presume you mean zero out the disk, I know it's common usage now, but
    low-level format used to mean something much different that a user
    shouldn't do.

    I guess a low-level format would wipe the MBR which is the main problem,
    but it's overkill. Boot into the recovery console and issue an:

    fixmbr
    exit

    or if you have a dos/win9x disk around:

    fdisk /mbr

    Michael C.
    --
    com http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    Michael Guest

  9. #9

    Davide Bianchi wrote:

    > You mean fdisk /mbr
    > Davide
    >[/ref]

    Well yes maybe so, I have not done windows since 1996. It just aggravates
    me when windose folks come here complaining that linux ed them when in
    fact it is they ed themselves. They don't have a clue about the OS
    their running.
    Baho Guest

  10. #10

    "Larry" <LVenickATcomcastDOTnet> wrote in message
    as
    reloaded
    and
    and

    The neatest solution is to use partition magic's "install standard MBR"
    utility.

    The other solutions are to use
    dos "fdisk /mbr" or
    NT/2000/XP console's FIXMBR, as other posters describedf.

    Also for the windows people, linux CAN put the MBR that was there back into
    place - lilo -u
    Does windows preserve a copy of the MBR and provide a utility to restore it
    ? NO ,Microsoft OS's MBRs and installs its lousy MBR.

    Dirk Guest

  11. #11

    Larry

    No abuse follows...

    When you re-imaged your Windows partition, only that partition was
    re-imaged. The MBR was never touched. Contrary to what most of the folks
    posting here have mentioned, format /mbr or fdisk /mbr will not work as
    they don't exist anymore. The Recovery Console is your best Windows bet and
    the doco on Technet (ie the Microsoft site) is pretty good. Try searching
    for "Recovery Console and MBR". Note that MS has noted that you will
    receive a message about a non-standard or invalid MBR. The solution is to
    ignore the message. I suppose it's a way of saying "Are you sure?"

    I also didn't realise that you can restore a standard MBR thru Partition
    Magic. If it works, then don't look a gift horse in the mouth...

    Give Linux another shot fella. It's worth your while. I don't think I'll
    purchase another version of Windows after Win 2000. Linux does what I want
    (except the games) and costs less.

    The unfortunate souls who decided that abusing you for using Windows live
    in a dream world. If you work in IT, you work in a Microsoft world. Until
    or if that ever changes, your only bet is to be as good with Windows as any
    other OS. You're a fool to think otherwise. Best to know how to make Linux
    and Windows play nice.

    Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Guest