Professional Web Applications Themes

Measuring precise length of paths in Illustrator 10 - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I am doing some very detailed architectural mapping work with AI-10 and am wondering if it is possible to measure precisely the length of a curvy path. I've tried a few things already: I drew my own ruler and made it into a pattern brush. The only type of pattern brush that doesn't stretch or compress my ruler is the "add space to fit" option, but its hard for me to estimate the length of the spaces that appear. So far the most accurate way I've found is to shorten the length of the ruler (i.e., make a ruler representing ...

  1. #1

    Default Measuring precise length of paths in Illustrator 10

    I am doing some very detailed architectural mapping work with AI-10 and am wondering if it is possible to measure precisely the length of a curvy path. I've tried a few things already:

    I drew my own ruler and made it into a pattern brush. The only type of pattern brush that doesn't stretch or compress my ruler is the "add space to fit" option, but its hard for me to estimate the length of the spaces that appear.

    So far the most accurate way I've found is to shorten the length of the ruler (i.e., make a ruler representing 10' and not 100'), apply a scatter brush to the path, and count the sections. More accurate = shorter ruler = more counting time.

    But this is still not perfect. Any suggestions?
    -Nyaniko
    Nyaniko_Bhikkhu@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    What you need is the telegraphics path lenth plugin/filter.

    You just select any path and it gives you the length. Some kind fellow uploaded it here or sent a link, can't remember who though.

    It works a treat, hopefully they will let you know.

    Dean M
    Dean_M@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Here's the link:

    <http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/#life>

    Scroll down to Illustrator Plug-ins.

    (Thank you, Kurt!)

    There is also supposed to be a way to access pathlength info via the debugging window (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12), but I can't find it.
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Wow, thanks for the help! I only posted my message 15 minutes ago!

  5. #5

    ::Sniff, sniff...waiting...::

    Toby Thain has a knack for showing up in any thread where his products are mentioned.
    Phosphor Guest

  6. #6

    Text curtesy from Teri Pettit

    Another new little feature: (In CS2)

    The Objects panel of the Doent Info palette now breaks down the count
    of path objects into open paths and closed paths, and also displays information
    about the path length. Plus it displays a count of the number of text
    objects broken down by kind (point text, text on a path and area text.)

    Lifter from this thread. <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128.3bba2302>
    John_Kallios@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Harron, the information about path length was added to the debugging window in AI CS (by me.) It is not in AI 10.

    I have found the method of using a scatter brush or a dashed line to be the easiest way to calculate path length in AI 8 through AI 10. But I would not use a ruler, and there is no need to count anything manually.

    Just make a copy of the path. Then do one of the following:

    A. Make a scatter brush containing one very tiny path like a miniscule dot. Apply that brush to the path with spacing equal to the units you want to measure the path in. (It is more accurate to use the spacing for the measurements than the brush object itself, because scatter brushes do not get warped along the path curvature, but the space measurement does.) Expand Appearance on the brushed path.

    B. In the Stroke palette, apply a dashed stroke where the sum of the dash length and the gap length equals the units you want to measure the path in. Go to Object>Flatten Transparency, check Convert All Strokes to Outline, and OK.

    Now you have an expanded version of the dotted stroke, where the number of paths in the expansion equals the distance in the units you are using. Go to Doent Info, the Objects panel, and ensure that Selected Only is checked. The path count will tell you what you need to know without counting the dots manually.
    Teri Guest

  8. #8

    Now that was useful, using AI10. Thank you Teri.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Harron, the information about path length was added to the debugging window
    in AI CS (by me.) It is not in AI 10.

    Thank you, Teri. I'll sleep better tonight, even though my wife still thinks I'm losing it.
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Everything that needed to be said, has been said. :)
    Toby_Thain@adobeforums.com Guest