Professional Web Applications Themes

MediMac medical billing software & Comm Toolbox? - Mac Networking

Helping a client using this billing package. Developer says that it is compatible with OS 9.2, but when we install 9.2, the E-Claim application (a paired app under the MediMac banner) gives this error when run: No connection tools found in Extensions / Communications folder. and then Unable to initialize Comm Toolbox. In the OS 8.6 System Folder (under which these apps run fine), I can find no Communications folder or anything labeled Comm Toolbox. Maybe these are invisible files/folders? I plan to go back with a utility that can view invisibles. The developer offers no assistance to anyone not ...

  1. #1

    Default MediMac medical billing software & Comm Toolbox?

    Helping a client using this billing package. Developer says that it is
    compatible with OS 9.2, but when we install 9.2, the E-Claim application (a
    paired app under the MediMac banner) gives this error when run:

    No connection tools found in
    Extensions / Communications folder.

    and then

    Unable to initialize Comm Toolbox.

    In the OS 8.6 System Folder (under which these apps run fine), I can find no
    Communications folder or anything labeled Comm Toolbox.

    Maybe these are invisible files/folders? I plan to go back with a utility
    that can view invisibles.

    The developer offers no assistance to anyone not under (very expensive)
    maintenance contract.

    Suggestion?

    Thanks,
    --
    DaveC
    net

    DaveC Guest

  2. #2

    In article <individual.net>, DaveC
    <net> wrote:

    do you see any communications tools in the extensions folder? something
    like the apple modem tool or serial tool?

    if the app runs fine in 8.6, then at least one of the tools is there.

    no, they are visible, and generally live in the extensions folder.

    look for comm toolbox tools in the extensions folder on 8.6, and move
    'em over to the 9.2 system. you probably don't need the emulation tools
    (vt100, etc.) or the file transfer tools (xmodem, etc.) but you might
    as well move those over too.
    nospam Guest

  3. #3

    In article <individual.net>,
    DaveC <net> wrote:

    Well, for some application that's using _very_ old stuff from OS 7 days,
    I'd start looking for another vendor that's keeping the product
    up-to-date. Is there a version that runs on MacOS X yet? Any promises
    as to when it will be out?

    The Comm Toolbox was very old technolgy from pre-OS 8 days. I had a
    copy of SIT! Comm Pro, which actually used the toolbox. Clarisworks V5
    did as well. There were extensions to do file transfers and terminal
    emulation in the Systems Folder>Extensions> folder (e.g. Apple Xmodem,
    VT100, and Kermit). I think it got superceded by OpenTransport at some
    point.

    If your developer won't help you without a service contract, see if
    they'll help on a 'per-call' basis. Otherwise you have a business
    decision to make--buy a contract to get help or find a replacement
    program with more reasonable support and more more up-to-date code.

    I don't understand why someone would buy a business application,
    especially one that generates revenue and not buy support for it. In my
    mind, they've forgotten that it takes spending money to make money.

    Michael Guest

  4. #4

    nospam <invalid> wrote:

    Actually, you do need the file transfer tools, as the purpose of the
    E-Claim app is to transfer files with insurance claim data.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  5. #5

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:48:59 -0800, Michael Vilain wrote
    (in article <ash.giganews.com>):

    Why upgrade to OS X? If this app will run under OS 9, it's much less
    expensive to keep it. The developer says that it is compatible, so all we
    need to do is find out what little bits are required. A bit time-consuming,
    but easier than buying new application, OS, and replacing the computers that
    won't run OS X, and working out all the bugs in the process.

    I haven't forgotten that the less you spend, in total, the more you keep.
    --
    DaveC
    net
    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group

    DaveC Guest

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Tim Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. #7

    Tim McNamara <net> wrote:

    Comm Toolbox was a separate extension under System 6 and early 7's. It
    got rolled into the system around 7.5. It is still built in to the
    System through 9.2.2.

    What OP needs are the separate TOOLS which are not part of the standard
    OS 9 install - most likely he just needs the Apple Modem Tool and its
    attendant set of modem scripts. Although OpenTransport was advocated by
    Apple to replace CTB, OT never added the functionality of the Apple
    Modem Tool which could correctly configure and use most modems. Much
    easier than trying to write your own universal modem setup and dialing
    code.
    ward Guest