Professional Web Applications Themes

Memory Leak in Dreamweaver MX (6.1) - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Has anyone noticed a memory leak in Dreamweaver MX 6.1? I've noticed that it keeps using more and more memory the longer I use it and never seems to release any-- I have to restart the software at least twice a day. For instance right now its using 140MB. Are there any patches available if this is a known issue??...

  1. #1

    Default Memory Leak in Dreamweaver MX (6.1)

    Has anyone noticed a memory leak in Dreamweaver MX 6.1? I've noticed that
    it keeps using more and more memory the longer I use it and never seems to
    release any-- I have to restart the software at least twice a day. For
    instance right now its using 140MB. Are there any patches available if this
    is a known issue??

    Garrett Felix Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Memory Leak in Dreamweaver MX (6.1)

    Garrett Felix wrote:
    > Has anyone noticed a memory leak in Dreamweaver MX 6.1? I've noticed that
    > it keeps using more and more memory the longer I use it and never seems to
    > release any-- I have to restart the software at least twice a day. For
    > instance right now its using 140MB. Are there any patches available if this
    > is a known issue??
    HI

    Try minimising DW then maximising it, it will then release the memory
    it's holding. Annoying I know.

    --
    Cheers jojo
    Team Macromedia Member Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX

    jojo Guest

  3. #3

    I notice this especially after doing Search/Replace operations and updates
    to pages with Templates.

    I have to close and open DMX several times during the day.

    Unfortunately there hasn't been any fix for it posted, just work-arounds
    such as minimizing the app and then restoring it or closing and re-openning.

    Tanks,
    [url]www.wwiivehicles.com[/url] - World War II Vehicles

    "Garrett Felix" <gfelixmedifit.com> wrote in message
    > Has anyone noticed a memory leak in Dreamweaver MX 6.1? I've noticed that
    > it keeps using more and more memory the longer I use it and never seems to
    > release any-- I have to restart the software at least twice a day. For
    > instance right now its using 140MB. Are there any patches available if
    this
    > is a known issue??

    cary Guest

  4. #4

    It's strange, because I leave DMX 6.1 open for days at a time and don't have
    big memory problems (W2KPro).

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "cary" <nonenone.com> wrote in message
    > I notice this especially after doing Search/Replace operations and updates
    > to pages with Templates.
    >
    > I have to close and open DMX several times during the day.
    >
    > Unfortunately there hasn't been any fix for it posted, just work-arounds
    > such as minimizing the app and then restoring it or closing and
    re-openning.

    > Tanks,
    > [url]www.wwiivehicles.com[/url] - World War II Vehicles
    >

    > "Garrett Felix" <gfelixmedifit.com> wrote in message
    > > Has anyone noticed a memory leak in Dreamweaver MX 6.1? I've noticed
    that
    > > it keeps using more and more memory the longer I use it and never seems
    > > release any-- I have to restart the software at least twice a day. For
    > > instance right now its using 140MB. Are there any patches available if
    > this
    > > is a known issue??

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  5. #5

    Murray *TMM* wrote:
    > It's strange, because I leave DMX 6.1 open for days at a time and
    > don't have big memory problems (W2KPro).
    Maybe it's because you're sound asleep... Or perhaps, you don't remember...

    --
    David Powers
    No-nonsense reviews of computer books

    David Powers Guest

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Ian Firth Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Murray *TMM* Guest
    Moderated Post

  8. #8

    David:

    That's likely!

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "David Powers" <methisisntmyaddress.com> wrote in message
    > Murray *TMM* wrote:
    > > It's strange, because I leave DMX 6.1 open for days at a time and
    > > don't have big memory problems (W2KPro).
    >
    > Maybe it's because you're sound asleep... Or perhaps, you don't
    remember...

    > --
    > David Powers
    > No-nonsense reviews of computer books
    > [url]http://japan-interface.co.uk/webdesign/books.html[/url]
    > Save 10% on TopStyle CSS Editor

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    cary Guest
    Moderated Post

  10. #10

    In article <beh9mi$l3n$1forums.macromedia.com>, [email]nonenone.com[/email] says...
    > Don't know if it matters... but the web sites I work on are in the several
    > hundred pages in size... 1400 and 1000 for each. I also find that after I
    > open the site and just moving my mouse over an ASP file there's a pause of
    > about 10 seconds. Not sure what that's about.
    That is DWMX accessing the registry in an out of control fashion for no
    reason. I have been reporting that bug to Macromedia since DWMX was
    released.

    They refuse to do anything about it.

    --
    Regards,
    Ian Firth

  11. #11

    cary:

    DMX is very much more complex than DW4 was....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > If we are lucky they'll fix it in the next major release.
    > Makes me wonder if they've eliminated programming staff along with the
    other
    > staff they've been cutting back on.
    > Just seems that with the DMX release it just wasn't as "clean and smooth"
    as
    > DW4.
    >
    > Tanks,
    > [url]www.wwiivehicles.com[/url] - World War II Vehicles
    >

    > "Ian Firth" <ifdivsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:MPG.1976a33754ef93859896e7forums.macromedia. com...
    > > In article <beh9mi$l3n$1forums.macromedia.com>, [email]nonenone.com[/email] says...
    > >
    > > > Don't know if it matters... but the web sites I work on are in the
    > several
    > > > hundred pages in size... 1400 and 1000 for each. I also find that
    after
    > > > open the site and just moving my mouse over an ASP file there's a
    pause
    > of
    > > > about 10 seconds. Not sure what that's about.
    > >
    > > That is DWMX accessing the registry in an out of control fashion for no
    > > reason. I have been reporting that bug to Macromedia since DWMX was
    > > released.
    > >
    > > They refuse to do anything about it.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > > Ian Firth

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  12. #12

    In article <bek18p$d5i$1forums.macromedia.com>, forumsHAHAgreat-web-
    sights.com says...

    > DMX is very much more complex than DW4 was....
    I have many apps that are far more complex, like Photoshop, 3DSMax,
    Visual Studio .NET, that don't bring a 2Ghz machine to it's knees like
    DWMX does.

    It's simply written by amatuers. I have profiled it, it s.

    --
    Regards,
    Ian Firth

  13. #13

    I'm so glad others have found the same thing!

    Tanks,
    [url]www.wwiivehicles.com[/url] - World War II Vehicles

    "Ian Firth" <ifdivsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:MPG.1977726521757e379896e8forums.macromedia. com...
    > In article <bek18p$d5i$1forums.macromedia.com>, forumsHAHAgreat-web-
    > sights.com says...
    >

    > > DMX is very much more complex than DW4 was....
    >
    > I have many apps that are far more complex, like Photoshop, 3DSMax,
    > Visual Studio .NET, that don't bring a 2Ghz machine to it's knees like
    > DWMX does.
    >
    > It's simply written by amatuers. I have profiled it, it s.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ian Firth

    cary Guest

  14. #14

    I'm not really going to get into the discussion, DWMX functions better when you can choose your own layout.

    But if I can't get my machine from eating up memory (within 30-60 minutes) to bring my WinXP 2200Ghz processor to freeze. I was using templates and switching between sites.

    This really should be investigated, this forum is the only place I've found with any discussion on it. When will Macromedia at least recognize the issue? Please don't be like microsoft and recognize it after you have a patch. Or worse, 'fixed' in the new version.

    I really will consider using another product if they start to play games like that. I didn't like paying $600 for something that freeze when I use it.

    Aluria Dave webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  15. #15

    I don't know who all is still reading this thread, but I found some info on a couple of other forum topics/threads that helped.
    Turning off site cache was the biggest suggestion. The other was to turn off Testing Server.
    Now I didn't turn off site cache but i did turn of Testing Server and that made a huge difference in the slowing down and large memory issue.
    I don't think it's right as a 'fix' to turn off the features that are suppose to work. However I would except this as a temporary solution until they release a true fix to the problem.

    Hope this helps those that still need a temporary solution.

    p.s. As for resizing images, the "edit in fireworks" button does a good job. I dont know if you can plug other graphic programs into DW.

    Aluria Guest

  16. #16

    Dave, Thanks for the suggestion; however, it is not the Linux box. I just copied the site to my local hard disk drive, opened a template page, applied source coding format to the page to change it, saved it, it started checking 1,596 pages, and it got to page 624 where is slowed down and I started seeing memory warnings. Here's what I have in the computer: Abit KX7-333R MB, AMD XP 1900+ CPU; Termaltake 6cu cooler; 256 MB Crucial 333DDR memory; WD800 80 GB, 7,200 RPM, ATA/100, 8 MB hard disk; Memorex 52MAXX CD-RW; Diamond V770 Display Adapter; Dlink DFE530TX+ NIC; SB Live sound; Antec SX-840 case w/400W; Windows 2000 Pro (NTFS). Last night I ordered another 512 MBytes of memory from Crucial. I'll see what that does. In my opinion and experience, DW MX 6.1 has a problem, or is not designed to handle larger sites... probably both. FP will run in 64 MBytes on a 500 MHz K6-2. Larry

    lbyard Guest

  17. #17

    Well, I still have memory problems, but fewer of them, with 512 MB in the computer. I am about to shove DW. MX v. 6.1 should not have been released in this state. I don't like spending $326.65 for software that doesn't work and then to spend another $88.99 for a memory upgrade that I didn't need for anything else. I'm torqued! End flame #2 Larry

    lbyard Guest

  18. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    cary Guest
    Moderated Post

  19. #19

    There is always FrontPage and Net Objects. I believe they both can do SSI, I'm sure about FrontPage.

    There's also Visual Interdev, which i think does ASP, but I've never really developed with it.

    And of course there's always notepad. Or some type of enhanced version.

    Aluria Guest