Professional Web Applications Themes

memory problem/memory leak - Macromedia Director Basics

Hi I have a problem with shockwave player running in Internet Explorer. My program consists of a controller movie which loads in content files in a HTML frameset. (I'm really running two files at the same time). When I run my Shockwave program I monitor the memory usage which starts off at about 30 MB (which is fine), the problem is that after I've been loading in some files i easily pass 50 MB. This is a problem since other applications is also going at the same time. I can easily regenerate the problem in any SW movie. Create an ...

  1. #1

    Default memory problem/memory leak

    Hi

    I have a problem with shockwave player running in Internet Explorer. My program consists of a controller movie which loads in content files in a HTML frameset. (I'm really running two files at the same time).
    When I run my Shockwave program I monitor the memory usage which starts off at about 30 MB (which is fine), the problem is that after I've been loading in some files i easily pass 50 MB. This is a problem since other applications is also going at the same time.

    I can easily regenerate the problem in any SW movie. Create an empty movie and ie. put in a text or graphic then insert this code:

    on exitFrame me
    gotonetmovie("memleak")
    end
    (call the movie "memleak.dir")

    Then you run this code and monitors the IEXPLORER.EXE instance with Windows' own taskmanager. After a few iterations you will see the memory goes skyhigh. Try now to minimize the explorer window and watch the memory usage!

    Is there any way/method etc to keep a SW-application which continously loads other files to stay below 50 (or preferrably 40 MB)?
    Is this a memory leak? Is it possible to fix this? Is there any command line options to restrain IExplorers memory usage?

    I have tried to use Lingo's unLoad and unLoadMovie commands with no success on larger applications.
    If you add unLoad in my previous example it will use more time to pile up in memory, but still it will never decrease in memory...

    Is there commands (hopefully supported by SW 8.5.1) to force garbage collection of all old unused instances?

    Thanx

    Trond

    Tron Juan Del Marco webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: memory problem/memory leak

    This is a great article on this subject. It is based on projectors but may
    help you on shockwave.

    [url]http://www.director-online.com/buildArticle.php?id=1122[/url]

    --
    ='o'= Arturo ='o'=
    [url]www.miltonfrank.tv[/url]

    "Tron Juan Del Marco" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a problem with shockwave player running in Internet Explorer. My
    program consists of a controller movie which loads in content files in a
    HTML frameset. (I'm really running two files at the same time).
    > When I run my Shockwave program I monitor the memory usage which starts
    off at about 30 MB (which is fine), the problem is that after I've been
    applications is also going at the same time.

    > I can easily regenerate the problem in any SW movie. Create an empty
    movie and ie. put in a text or graphic then insert this code:

    > on exitFrame me
    > gotonetmovie("memleak")
    > end
    > (call the movie "memleak.dir")
    >
    > Then you run this code and monitors the IEXPLORER.EXE instance with
    Windows' own taskmanager. After a few iterations you will see the memory
    goes skyhigh. Try now to minimize the explorer window and watch the memory
    usage!

    > Is there any way/method etc to keep a SW-application which continously
    loads other files to stay below 50 (or preferrably 40 MB)?
    > Is this a memory leak? Is it possible to fix this? Is there any command
    line options to restrain IExplorers memory usage?

    > I have tried to use Lingo's unLoad and unLoadMovie commands with no
    success on larger applications.
    > If you add unLoad in my previous example it will use more time to pile up
    in memory, but still it will never decrease in memory...

    > Is there commands (hopefully supported by SW 8.5.1) to force garbage
    collection of all old unused instances?

    > Thanx
    >
    > Trond

    Arturo Toledo Guest