Professional Web Applications Themes

Memory Usage Limitation, Please Raise it! - Adobe Photoshop Mac CS, CS2 & CS3

I realize that on PhotoShop the limit for Available RAM is 2000MB. Actually with operation systems running it is about 1600~. Can you please make it at least 8 Gigs. Given that G5's are made to handle 8 Gigs of ram and with the Xeon processor PC's you can have up to 16 Gigs or ram, it would be nice to be able to utilize all the memory. With digital backs and files sizes easily in the 100mb+ range, I feel all that memory is necessary now. Add 16 bit layers and this and that, that 100mb file becomes huge ...

  1. #1

    Default Memory Usage Limitation, Please Raise it!

    I realize that on PhotoShop the limit for Available RAM is 2000MB. Actually with operation systems running it is about 1600~. Can you please make it at least 8 Gigs. Given that G5's are made to handle 8 Gigs of ram and with the Xeon processor PC's you can have up to 16 Gigs or ram, it would be nice to be able to utilize all the memory. With digital backs and files sizes easily in the 100mb+ range, I feel all that memory is necessary now. Add 16 bit layers and this and that, that 100mb file becomes huge quickly. I guess if I would of know that PS can only utilize 2 Gigs of ram I wouldn't of purchased the machines with 8 Gigs of ram. Could of saved me some money and gotten more Adobe Products.
    Jihoon_Kim@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Memory Usage Limitation, Please Raise it!

    I'm sure it's on their to-do list.

    The new G5's just came out, give it time for the S/W engineers to keep up.
    JasonSmith@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I guess if I would of know that PS can only utilize 2 Gigs of ram I wouldn't
    of purchased the machines with 8 Gigs of ram.

    If I remember correctly, that's a limitation of the OS not the software.
    graffiti Guest

  4. #4

    I called Adobe and they told me it is the limitation of PS.
    Jihoon_Kim@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Jihoon,

    As has been explained often in this forum, the 2GB is a limitation of 32-bit computing. This will not be changing in the next few years.

    See post # 11 THIS THREAD <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?13.2ccfde01/10>

    >>> Hey, folks, it's not an Adobe thing, an Apple thing, a Microsoft thing, or some conspiracy to keep the oppressed masses down. It's a fundamental computer science limit. 2^32 = 4GB, the top bit is usually used to help distinguish system address space from application address space, so applications have 2^31=2GB of address space to work with.
    Yes, it's 640k all over again.

    The solution? 64-bit chips, OSes, and apps. That's going to take a few years.
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    [Something went terribly wrong here] DELETED
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

  8. #8

  9. #9

  10. #10

  11. #11

  12. #12

  13. #13

    It's Deja Vu all over again.
    graffiti Guest

  14. #14

    I thougth the G5 was a 64bit machine? I guess I am just lost.
    Jihoon_Kim@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Wow! An occasional double post I can understand, but this is ridiculous. I blame it on the Windows box I'm working on right now, of course.
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Jihoon,

    The G5 is indeed 64 bit capable, but neither Mac OS X nor Windows are 64-bit operating systems. It will take years.
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    Also, each application can use up to 2GB of RAM, therefore having extra memory means you can run several programs at once, each one at 100% of RAM.
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    the G5 is a 64bit machine, but all the software we have is 32bit. the OSX Panther is 32bit OS that is able to work on a 64bit box We are getting there slowly but surley. At least you can have more than one app running with 2 gig of RAM for each if you have 8GB in your box.
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest