Professional Web Applications Themes

Menu control in OSX? - Mac Applications & Software

Like Windows can OSX users finially control the keyboard menu's? Previous versions of the Mac OS required the purchase of third party software (such as Speed Doubler) while Windows users (even CE) have always had this feature built into the OS. Heck even MS-DOS users can control their keyboard menu's without a mouse. There are times on the Mac wheh I wish I would not have to use the mouse, but unless I know all the shortcuts by heart in every app, its not possible. Back when I was running OS 7.5.x with my 68K Speed Doubler solved those issues. ...

  1. #1

    Default Menu control in OSX?

    Like Windows can OSX users finially control the keyboard menu's?
    Previous versions of the Mac OS required the purchase of third party
    software (such as Speed Doubler) while Windows users (even CE) have
    always had this feature built into the OS. Heck even MS-DOS users can
    control their keyboard menu's without a mouse.

    There are times on the Mac wheh I wish I would not have to use the
    mouse, but unless I know all the shortcuts by heart in every app, its
    not possible. Back when I was running OS 7.5.x with my 68K Speed
    Doubler solved those issues. When I upgrade to OSX I hope to be assured
    I will once again be able to control my menu's without a mouse, and
    without any expensive buger third party software.
    --
    Posted with Newswatcher for Macintosh!
    Vote Bush for President in 2004!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Menu control in OSX?

    Spider Eyes <net> writes:

    System Preferences->Keyboard->Full Keyboard Access

    Turn on full keyboard access.

    Also there are some helpful things under

    System Preferences->Universal Access

    No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
    BreadWithSpam@fractious.net Guest

  3. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Enough Guest
    Moderated Post

  4. #4

    In article <panix.com>,
    net wrote:

    > System Preferences->Keyboard->Full Keyboard Access
    >
    > Turn on full keyboard access.
    >

    > Also there are some helpful things under
    >
    > System Preferences->Universal Access[/ref]

    Thanks...

  5. #5

    > System Preferences->Keyboard->Full Keyboard Access
    >
    > Turn on full keyboard access.
    >

    > Also there are some helpful things under
    >
    > System Preferences->Universal Access
    >
    >[/ref]

    It's not usable in my opinion. While you CAN access the menu-bar with a
    key-combo, it always selects the Apple-menu. You cannot directly access
    a specific menu like in Windows. So, you have to press a key-combination
    (user selectable), then press a couple of times the right-arrow to
    select the correct menu. I find this way too complicated to use it.

    If you really have to, you can use it, but you won't do it for speed...

    Also, even with full keyboard access turned on, there are many parts of
    the OS/Applications that can't be accessed. Anyone care to inform me how
    to select a different Mail-folder without using the mouse? I really
    tried hard to find out, but never succeeded...

    Jaco Guest

  6. #6

    Jaco Schoonen <noway> writes:
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]

    I didn't say it's great. Frankly, I, too, think it s,
    but it s a lot less than not being able to get to the
    menus at all.

    A bigger problem, in my opinion, is how crappy the implementation
    of being able to keyboard between GUI elements is - selecting
    buttons, textfields, etc - is pitiful on the mac. Always has
    been, though it's better now in OS X than it ever was before.

    I don't think anyone's expecting to use it for speed. If speed
    was the issue, they'd be memorizing the cmd-key shortcuts anyway.

    Nope. Can't do it. That's exactly the sort of thing I mean.

    The only way is to use "mouse-keys" - which s even worse
    than the way they did the keyboard-menu access.

    Bottom line - the Mac is NOT intended to be used without a mouse.

    You'll feel a lot better if you simply choose to accept this fact.

    Me? I spend half my day in emacs and/or the shell anyway.

    Oh, on the bright future side of things - they're still way beta -
    but you might check out Mozilla Thunderbird Mail client and
    Mozilla Firebird web browser. Both allow you to use keys to get
    to just about all the visual elements. In Thunderbird, you can
    easily change folders by tabbing to the folder list windowpane.